Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools

Rosetta Stone French Level 1-5 Set
Edition: FrenchChange
Price:$209.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on September 8, 2014
As soon as you get the software online you only got 30 days. To renew you have to pay for it. They should have told customers to use the CDs first then when you are ready log online to get the benefits of other venues. I had to buy others such as Assimil which is cheaper and much better
on April 27, 2015
Total rip off. you think you're getting the cd's to last forever, and at this price you should, but it's actually only a 3 month lease.
Awful. I sent mine back for a refund.
Nancy
on December 31, 2013
I was very excited to purchase Rosetta Stone TOTALe French 1-5. It took a long time to install Rosetta on my high end PC but once it was up and running, I jumped right in. The licensing is annoying but I`m all for protecting software rights so I gave them a pass on that one.

I have spent weeks studying diligently. I am nearing the end of the 2nd Level and I have become very disappointed. The "Gold Standard" in language learning is a dud. You simply look at pictures and repeat the words or sentences beneath. There is no translation. In the beginning, it`s not so bad, you can figure out most of the words by the pictures or go to an online translator. But once you get into complex sentences and grammar, you are faced with the product`s glaring flaw.

Rosetta`s premise is that you are a child learning in the same way you learned you first language. Seeing and hearing then repeating. But without the instruction you received in school, you`re left with a vocabulary of a hillbilly.

I can`t comment on tech support, I tried to reach them 3 times and gave up after 3 very long waits.

Gerry
on February 17, 2014
While French is spoken worldwide this is Parisian French. There are no other versions as there are for English and other languages. It has had numerous breakdowns. Right now it has stopped recognizing the microphone on the USB head set it recommends ( Microsoft). It will only work with a USB headset which is a little secret it keeps to itself until you almost give up.

Great marketing, mediocre product
on September 28, 2013
I've tried installing and uninstalling this software several times. Emailing tech support gets me an email back (not an auto reply, got those as well) saying they would be glad to help and would get to me as soon as they could.

All weekend trying to get this to work. But it just loads a logo and then sits on the screen.

Very frustrating, for the price its not worth the hassle.
on June 7, 2014
I tried to activate the program and the first disc said that the program was already activated - yet when I tried to download the other discs, none of them were operative. I could not use the program at all!
I have tried to contact Rosetta about this problem without success ... Don't bother buying this - it doesn't work and the language centre won't help you!!!!!
on May 11, 2015
Pathetic support!
As a few others have mentioned, the method fails after 2nd level and when you try to reach their support center they don't even bother to reply properly.
on April 1, 2014
Support sucks.. It really does not run on IPad. If it did they would show you how to get the applications to support it. Essentially you get caught in a do loop that does not provide a satisfactory ending. If you would like to waste an evening or two or need a hobby trying sort out their product knock yourself out. Personally, if I'm buying a product I expect it to work or that the company will walk me through the necessary steps to make it work.

Good luck.. I got my money back and I'm moving on.
on December 23, 2011
My first experience with Rosetta Stone should have been a tip-off.

After numerous ads in Scientific American imprinted the Rosetta Stone name into my noggin over the years, I finally purchased Levels 1, 2 and 3 - the Homeschool Edition, for my kids to study Hebrew. The motivator was an ad I received by email offering free shipping.

So, I went online and attempted to purchase. I kept getting an error message which didn't mean anything to me, so I called Rosetta Stone for help. In the course of the conversation, it became clear that the free shipping offer was for U.S. addresses only. I objected that they had sent me an email that offered free shipping with no such qualifier.

After going around the mulberry bush a few times on that subject, I realized that the operator was not going to break forth from her programmed algorithm. If I wanted the product, I'd have to pay the shipping.

When the product arrived, we installed it and began to run it.

The kids seem to enjoy the sessions and do well at them, although the voice recognition seemed to have trouble with the kids' voices. My daughter has a better accent than I do, but the software seemed to understand me better than it did her.

My impression is that you can learn a language from the software, but it does have a cookie-cutter approach. As you may have heard, language is culture. People in France talke about different things in different ways than people in Saudi Arabia. You can't have this diversity in a one-size-fits-all approach like Rosetta Stone.

Then, one day, for no apparent reason, the software stopped working. I called tech support and spoke with a friendly enough agent whom I'll call "Suraj."

Suraj didn't really seem to understand what the problem was, but did help me to get going again.

Eventually the problem hit again, apparently after installing one of Rosetta Stones recommended updates. This time I got "Armaan" on the line. Armaan got me going again somewhat, and we had a nice chat about about the weather in India while the software loaded. I had an opportunity to help Armaan with his English as well.

Except the headphone wouldn't work. I could see that this particular headphone, which had come with the software, was beginning to look a little more than gently used. Armaan suggested I get a new headphone and try again. I was a little suspicious, because now I could see that the software wasn't working with the internal speaker and microphone system either.

I bought a new headphone/microphone and plugged it in. No dice.

At this point I had spent a lot of time on the phone with India and while I value the cultural experience, it's not the one I paid $500 for.

Last week my computer died. It had been hiccupping for some time, and I was not too surprised to see it give up the ghost. I bought a new one for less money than the Rosetta Stone package cost, and decided to try loading it. I forwent the offer to download the upgrades.

I typed in the activation code and got a message telling me that the code was invalid. The message window kindly suggested that the software may have been installed on another computer.

I got on the blower to see what Armaan and Suraj could do for me. I listened to some very uplifting music for about twenty minutes and decided to hang up.

This software is recommended if you would like to learn one of the many languages that India has to offer, as you will spend a good amount of time speaking to Armaan and Suraj. You will also have the opportunity to develop your musical appreciation as you wait on hold. There are not even intermittant messages punctuation the music telling you to please continue to hold as your call is important to them. They know you know better.

Dealling with Rosetta Stone feels like making a pact with the devil. It's tempting to do so because they offer some appealling bells and whistles. But it's never good form to do business with someone you can't trust, and I have found them untrustworthy. The devil may offer temporary benefits, but at what cost? I didn't lose my soul, but I lost my time, and I lost my $500.

========================

Update:
Rosetta Stone contacted me by email after I posted the above review. I emailed them my receipt and the activation codes. They authorized the activation and the product appears to be working now.
on December 16, 2010
Came exactly as advertised except the vendor forgot to mention the product he was selling was counterfeit - Rosetta Stone will tune you up promptly when you call to find out why you cannot activate it ... Amazon stood up which was great...the vendor disappeared down his rat hole...vendor called himself "The Language Barrier".... the product sent to me was postmarked Hamilton, Ontario - caveat emptor