4.0 out of 5 stars It works... you will feel 100% better
This is an excellent book, and diet... I have been eating no wheat for the past month because of this book and I feel 100% amazing.
The bloating and digestive issues that used to plague me are completely gone. My skin is glowing. I have more energy. And I have lost my "wheat belly."
When you embark on a wheat free diet, you quickly realize that almost everything...
Published on Dec 26 2011 by pd204wpg

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of research, but questionable findings.
I started out reading this book full of hope at all of the well researched details about the negative effects wheat has in our diets and on our health. The author has really done his homework well and is quite knowledgeable. Where I lost confidence was in the conclusion he draws from those findings. He seems to use the words grains and gluten interchangeably in his...
Published on Jan. 8 2013 by Diane Allen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 422 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID Research, Jan. 8 2012
Peter Stephenson (Victoria, British Columbia, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (Hardcover)
I've been researching and reading about the transition from high protein low carb diets to the reverse for over thirty years as a professional medical anthropologist. Davis basically has it right--wheat as we know it now is behind a vast number of problems, and wheat belly is a rapidly spreading disease of industrial monocrop agriculture. But its only part of the BIGGER problem that kind of agricultural system represents, not just for human health but for the entire biosphere. Cutting out the wheat could be a step in turning around the whole runaway train with its cascade of problems, but expect BIG resistance to this idea. BIG seed industry, wedded to BIG pharma is not going to take this lying down. Expect a pushback to describe this as quack science: its definitely not, but you'll hear a lot of nonsense about this hypethesis soon. Keep your eyes on the target: your dinner plate. And keep a copy of this handy: you'll need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener..., July 5 2012
Elizabeth Ellison "Living Green" (Sherwood Park, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Paperback)
For anyone who has ever wondered about the health and necessity of wheat in our diets...read and be enlightened. Presents a very compelling picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost 11 lb in first month, Oct. 2 2012
Makes a lot of sense. Easy to follow and explains why Agribusiness takes priority over people's health. Would have liked more recipes to try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheat Belly, March 8 2012
It is a very informative book with good information. It discusses why celiac disease is more prevalent now. It also discusses how wheat affects the body and lists what unsuspecting foods contain wheat(like soya sauce). It also has recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars vital info. for all, Sept. 8 2012
This book will change your life. Vitally important for good health. I have purchased two copies of this book to share with friends. Leaving the wheat alone has so improved my health, I can't believe the difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and Habit-Changing, Oct. 9 2012
meghanlinn (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Paperback)
I once read a quote that food can either be the most powerful medicine, or the slowest-acting poison. This is such a true statement. I thought I knew what to expect when I picked up this book, knowing a number of people who live with celiac or gluten sensitivities, and yet I was still surprised over and over with the science of nutrition and metabolic chemistry that the author lays before the reader. I have been eating gluten-free for a couple of months, and my muscle aches, cravings, and fatigue are greatly improved. Now, having read this book, I am planning to reduce/eliminate sugar and animal protein. It is worth the effort to not only feel healthy, but to BE healthy at a cellular level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book, Dec 28 2011
The information in this book appears to be well researched with the author's own experience with patients in his medical practice. Finally, the answer to the problems of obesity, diabetes and many other diseases affecting the human population appears to have been found. It's wheat baby, in all its forms and variations. It ain't the stuff our forefathers were eating. It's been modified so much that instead of feeding us it's killing us. This book is a must-read for everyone who eats food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now to get it into practice., April 30 2015
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I have now read this book three times over the last three years. I must admit even with all the knowledge presented in the book there are still times that I struggle with it. It is hard in part because I am the only one in my family who has gone gluten free. It is very hard when pizza is in the house, or making toast of bagels for the kids. I really believe the message of this book, but I cannot force my wife to change or force changes in shopping habits until she is convinced. The other thing that makes it so very hard is how pervasive wheat is as an additive, filler, packager and more. Between wheat and corn you eliminate almost 80 of the groceries in the store, and if you try and go dairy free also take out another 10%.

That being said, I know I feel much better when I am following the advice in this book, and it is not just about the waist, and weight loss. It is about overall wellbeing, energy, emotional balance and just plain drive and focus are so much better by following the advice in this book. The Appendix 'Looking for Wheat in All the Wrong Places' will blow you away. The last time I had accidental exposure to gluten was a tin of Cashews, they were on sale and a different brand and my wife picked them up for me. I ate a couple of handfuls after a workout as a snack, an hour later I was feeling bloated, brain fog and generally unwell. I went and checked the can and wheat was listed as an ingredient. I literally could not believe it why in the world add it to the nuts?

I highly recommend this book and to be honest the practice of going wheat and mostly grain free. This book will bring the head knowledge you need to make an informed decision and then you will need to move it to heart knowledge so that you consistently put it into practice. That will be the hard work and I hope that Dr. William Davis new book Wheat Belly Total Health will help me get there!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Common Denominator in Ill Health Has Been Found, Dec 18 2014
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Kindle Edition)
Disclaimer: I am an author, however I do not know Dr. Davis personally. This review is based on my own experiences.

I've read most of the popular diet books written over the last 40 years. Some were very good and others led me in the wrong direction, such as the low fat books of the 80's that helped trigger the obesity and diabetes epidemic we see today. Wheat Belly, written in a very easy to understand manner and sprinkled with humour throughout, takes the position that wheat is chiefly responsible for these and other maladies. I had no idea that wheat, modified from what it was 50 years ago, is not completely broken down by the body and that the peptides produced actually cross the blood brain barrier like an opiate drug would, causing addiction and false food cravings. At first I found it difficult to accept. Then I tried it and lost 50 pounds in 6 months, without counting calories, by adopting a Mediterranean style of diet without the wheat. My cravings disappeared and so did the brain fog. Within 2 or 3 weeks my diabetes numbers were vastly improved and are now in the normal range. I found through taking my glucose readings after meals in isolated trials that bread or cereal, whether it is whole grain or not, spikes my blood sugar readings like nothing else, not even a candy bar. It isn't just the gluten, but the wheat itself. Why diabetics are told by their nutritionists to eat more "healthy whole grains" is a mystery to me. It seems to only aggravate the condition. The book cautions about falling for the allure of gluten free products that are just made of junk carbohydrates like potato starch and do just as much damage as wheat. Dr. Davis states that there is no such thing as "healthy whole grains" and based on my own experiences, I believe he is right. The proof is in the pudding. I'm down 50 pounds, off high blood pressure medication and control my diabetes without the use of drugs. Real food minus the wheat and getting some regular exercise form my prescription for good health. My doctor is in total agreement.
This is easily the best book I have ever read on nutrition. It helped me identify and correct a lifelong problem. If you need to lose weight and especially if you have diabetes, I strongly recommend this book and the book that follows it, Wheat Belly Total Health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just wheat, but may also need to eliminate other flour products, Sept. 25 2012
Dr. Albert M. Kim (Burnaby, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Paperback)
I agree with Dr. Davis in restricting or removing wheat from diet. But I do see that patients who are severely intolerant of wheat products (bread, cakes, etc) do not have the same reaction to them while their stay in France.

I concluded that the certain local French wheat must be of different strain.

However, to nit pick, I haven't seen the dramatic weight loss changes that Dr. Davis reports such as 20, 30 or 50 pounds being off wheat, and I have put many people completely off wheat, sometimes for several years. And I also hope Dr. Davis meant, "fat loss" not simple overall "weight loss." Since the body's "weight" is made up of the good mass as well, such as muscles, bones, organs, water, etc, the term "weight loss" gives no meaning one way or the other in reference to the changes in someone's health status. People want health, not just weight loss. Two individuals of same height, sex and weight can have dramatic differences in their body composition.

Significant fat reduction occured in my practise only when ALL FLOUR products (corn flour, rice flour, oat flour, rye flour, spelt flour, etc) were removed from the diet. This is because all flour would significantly raise insulin level usually peaking at 30 minutes after consuming these products. And to maintain a healthy body and mind, the hormone imbalance should be ruled out as well. This you should check with your doctor.

This was a great read, and I thank Dr. Davis for the tremendous work put in.

Dr. Albert M. Kim, ND
Author of Mind Your Healing
Mind Your Healing!: How to Get Healing Out of the Way So That You Can Step Into Other Dimensions of Your Life

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 422 | Next ›