Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

on October 2, 2012
Makes a lot of sense. Easy to follow and explains why Agribusiness takes priority over people's health. Would have liked more recipes to try.
on November 17, 2011
Likely one of the most life changing books for me. My husband is a ciliac so I have been "careful" about wheat for many years but . . . after reading this book - I know all the damage that grains are doing to my body. Have been grain free for about a month and am beginning to lose weight but better than that - my energy is increasing and I don't want to eat all the time.
on March 8, 2012
It is a very informative book with good information. It discusses why celiac disease is more prevalent now. It also discusses how wheat affects the body and lists what unsuspecting foods contain wheat(like soya sauce). It also has recipes.
on March 11, 2012
I cannot stop talking about this book. I lost 20 lbs easily, without pain or discomfort, without counting calories. Two months later, I am now at my ideal weight. I'm wearing pants that I hadn't worn in a couple of years. I'd been living with anal fissures for 3 years. They are now cured.
I tell people my diet has four rules: 1. No wheat 2. No Gluten 3. Low carb 4. Low sugar. This book explains in detail various specific reasons why wheat is evil. But then it also educates you about the Glycemic Index (GI). I was unaware that carbs like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, increase your blood sugar just as much as sweets do, if not more. Turns out blood sugar just might be the most important topic in nutrition. Every body needs to understand the Glycemic Index, not just those with diabetes. So really you could resume my diet to only 2 rules: No Gluten (thus excluding wheat) and Low GI.
Many will find that he goes into too much scientific language when explaining the various reasons why wheat is bad. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. On one hand there are a couple places when this affects the flow of readability, on the other hand, he'd be less credible if he did not prove that his statements are founded on a vast amount of scientific research.
I do not miss bread. I do not miss pasta. I find myself craving vegetables. I enjoy them more than ever. Vegetables are really the key. They are the most important element. Therefore I have just ordered "Vegetables" by James Peterson, and "Vegetables From Amaranth To Zucchini" by Elizabeth Schneider.
Just try it. Stop eating wheat for a few days. You will immediately feel better and will want to learn more about it. This book does not promote a temporary diet, it promotes a permanent diet. The good news is that it is easy. You can eat as much as you want of the good foods. And the list of good foods is long enough. I am lucky that I work in downtown Vancouver, so there are plenty of wheat-free low-carb options for lunch. I'll often have Indian food, say no to Naan bread, ask that they put half the rice they normally would, and enjoy plenty of tasty veggies.
Yes it helps a lot if you know your way around the kitchen. Yes it might be a bit difficult if your spouse and kids don't adopt the same diet. But when you see the pounds just melting away, a little every day, the excitement and pride will make you develop a routine that works. Your friends and family will see that you are visibly healthier and happier and, although they may not immediately adopt your new habits, they should be supportive.
on September 8, 2012
This book will change your life. Vitally important for good health. I have purchased two copies of this book to share with friends. Leaving the wheat alone has so improved my health, I can't believe the difference.
on October 9, 2012
I once read a quote that food can either be the most powerful medicine, or the slowest-acting poison. This is such a true statement. I thought I knew what to expect when I picked up this book, knowing a number of people who live with celiac or gluten sensitivities, and yet I was still surprised over and over with the science of nutrition and metabolic chemistry that the author lays before the reader. I have been eating gluten-free for a couple of months, and my muscle aches, cravings, and fatigue are greatly improved. Now, having read this book, I am planning to reduce/eliminate sugar and animal protein. It is worth the effort to not only feel healthy, but to BE healthy at a cellular level.
on December 28, 2011
The information in this book appears to be well researched with the author's own experience with patients in his medical practice. Finally, the answer to the problems of obesity, diabetes and many other diseases affecting the human population appears to have been found. It's wheat baby, in all its forms and variations. It ain't the stuff our forefathers were eating. It's been modified so much that instead of feeding us it's killing us. This book is a must-read for everyone who eats food.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 18, 2014
Disclaimer: I am an author, however I do not know Dr. Davis personally. This review is based on my own experiences.

I've read most of the popular diet books written over the last 40 years. Some were very good and others led me in the wrong direction, such as the low fat books of the 80's that helped trigger the obesity and diabetes epidemic we see today. Wheat Belly, written in a very easy to understand manner and sprinkled with humour throughout, takes the position that wheat is chiefly responsible for these and other maladies. I had no idea that wheat, modified from what it was 50 years ago, is not completely broken down by the body and that the peptides produced actually cross the blood brain barrier like an opiate drug would, causing addiction and false food cravings. At first I found it difficult to accept. Then I tried it and lost 50 pounds in 6 months, without counting calories, by adopting a Mediterranean style of diet without the wheat. My cravings disappeared and so did the brain fog. Within 2 or 3 weeks my diabetes numbers were vastly improved and are now in the normal range. I found through taking my glucose readings after meals in isolated trials that bread or cereal, whether it is whole grain or not, spikes my blood sugar readings like nothing else, not even a candy bar. It isn't just the gluten, but the wheat itself. Why diabetics are told by their nutritionists to eat more "healthy whole grains" is a mystery to me. It seems to only aggravate the condition. The book cautions about falling for the allure of gluten free products that are just made of junk carbohydrates like potato starch and do just as much damage as wheat. Dr. Davis states that there is no such thing as "healthy whole grains" and based on my own experiences, I believe he is right. The proof is in the pudding. I'm down 50 pounds, off high blood pressure medication and control my diabetes without the use of drugs. Real food minus the wheat and getting some regular exercise form my prescription for good health. My doctor is in total agreement.
This is easily the best book I have ever read on nutrition. It helped me identify and correct a lifelong problem. If you need to lose weight and especially if you have diabetes, I strongly recommend this book and the book that follows it, Wheat Belly Total Health.
on September 25, 2012
I agree with Dr. Davis in restricting or removing wheat from diet. But I do see that patients who are severely intolerant of wheat products (bread, cakes, etc) do not have the same reaction to them while their stay in France.

I concluded that the certain local French wheat must be of different strain.

However, to nit pick, I haven't seen the dramatic weight loss changes that Dr. Davis reports such as 20, 30 or 50 pounds being off wheat, and I have put many people completely off wheat, sometimes for several years. And I also hope Dr. Davis meant, "fat loss" not simple overall "weight loss." Since the body's "weight" is made up of the good mass as well, such as muscles, bones, organs, water, etc, the term "weight loss" gives no meaning one way or the other in reference to the changes in someone's health status. People want health, not just weight loss. Two individuals of same height, sex and weight can have dramatic differences in their body composition.

Significant fat reduction occured in my practise only when ALL FLOUR products (corn flour, rice flour, oat flour, rye flour, spelt flour, etc) were removed from the diet. This is because all flour would significantly raise insulin level usually peaking at 30 minutes after consuming these products. And to maintain a healthy body and mind, the hormone imbalance should be ruled out as well. This you should check with your doctor.

This was a great read, and I thank Dr. Davis for the tremendous work put in.

Dr. Albert M. Kim, ND
Author of Mind Your Healing
Mind Your Healing!: How to Get Healing Out of the Way So That You Can Step Into Other Dimensions of Your Life
on April 30, 2012
Included in this very detailed and well presented book is the latest science in the world of food and nutrition and a small selection of wonderful recipes that really do work. The author gives an extensive history of wheat and modifications made to the original plant over time accounting for the increasing numbers of individuals suffering conditions from allergies to chronic diseases. I have made almost every recipe with great success and will be making another tonight for dinner. My only criticism about the recipes would be the lengthy preparations. Most take at least an hour to prepare so are not recommended for fast meals. However, without question, the value of this book supercedes any meal preparation. I am a nurse nutritionist with a science background and use this book almost everyday to review and appreciate the vast advancements in the scientific literature. Both the lay person and the heath professional (including medical practitioners)would benefit from reading this book. An abundance of explanations written in simple clear language accompany each fact and scientific principle with applications for everyday living. I would strongly recommend purchasing this book and eagerly look forward to the author's cookbook being released in December, 2012.