countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more Home scflyout All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on June 21, 2012
I have long suspected that my refux and gut problems are related to wheat. No one would listen to me. I bought this book on a whim and discovered that the author would have listened to me. This book details the history of wheat, the reasons and consequences of it being genetically modified and what you need to do about it. The book will never be a best seller beacuse it has too much biochemistry information in it. However, I personally enjoyed that part and felt it lent credibility to the author's pemise which is that wheat in its currnet GM form is bad for you. There are lots of anecdotal stories from the author about dramatic improvement his patients have made when they stopped eating wheat. I liked the distinction that is made between wheat and gluten from other grains. If you have health issues such as irritable bowel, a large belly, reflux, arthritis and/ or a myriad of other ailments then get this book and find out why you should at least try to go on a wheat-free diet to determine if you have a sensitivity to it. The author's stance is a personal, professional and compelling one. I do recommend this book.
on September 8, 2012
This book will change your life. Vitally important for good health. I have purchased two copies of this book to share with friends. Leaving the wheat alone has so improved my health, I can't believe the difference.
"So when they had eaten enough, they lightened the ship and threw out the wheat into the sea." -- Acts 27:38 (NKJV)

As I have watched health degenerate among those around me over the last several decades, I've been continually struck that there must be some few new factors that have wide effects. When I ask scientifically and medically trained people, they assure me it's all a result of too many chemicals being used to raise crops and to feed animals. Until I read this book, I was also aware that the American diet has become too full of foods that spike blood sugar. Now, I realize that wheat has a special role in undermining health through the ways it accelerates a number of harmful bodily processes, especially in encouraging fat storage. That alone was worth the price of the book.

Dr. Davis does an excellent job of explaining why today's wheat is not the same as my grandfather's wheat and what the harmful effects are. Those explanations were worth the price of three of this book.

I was in the middle of a diet that was going pretty smoothly when I read Wheat Belly. I didn't go wheat free but I did reduce my wheat intake by more than 80 percent (as far as I can tell) and my oatmeal by 65 percent. My weight loss accelerated, and my energy level is much better. Hurray! I feel quite confident now that the rest of the diet will go well . . . and that the belly weight loss will be high.

When I was young, people referred to men with big bellies as having "beer bellies." Yet almost everyone I know who isn't an exercise fanatic has such a belly, even if they haven't had a beer in decades. "Wheat belly" is the description that should be used except for those who do consume way too much beer.

If you have extreme health problems and really need to go wheat free, this book will be a God send to you.

My main question is how much wheat someone can consume who doesn't have the more deleterious health consequences of eating too much wheat. I didn't feel that question was as thoroughly addressed as the other issues were in the book.

If you combine this information with the South Beach Diet Super Charged approach, you should be quite a fit and trim person for the rest of your life. I pray that you will!

Avoid the wheat!
on August 4, 2012
This book Wheat Belly was recommended to me by my acupuncturist and I am so glad he told me about it. It has changed how my daughter and myself eat. I appreciate the fact that the book was written by a knowledgeable cardiologist who was willing to really research what wheat is and how it's changed over the years, and also how it affects our health. The author, William Davis explains how wheat acts in our bodies and how it affects our digestion and how our brains process wheat. Every symptom that Dr. Davis writes about in his book, I have experienced. I do not suffer with celiac disease, but I am wheat intolerant. My daughter is feeling soooo much better since following the process of eliminating wheat from her diet. I have told many friends about this book and we have had good discussions about how eliminating wheat from your daily diet can make a world of difference in how you feel.

Both my daughter and myself have lost weight since starting the new wheat-free regimen. I now no longer feel bloated and uncomfortable after a meal. My daughter no longer suffers with stomach pain and bloating after eating.

We are so grateful that Dr. Davis decided to write this book and educate people with the truth about the wheat in our food chain. I did not know before reading the book that "wheat is not really wheat" anymore. Grains have been so altered over the last century that we're no longer eating pure grains, but we are stressing our bodies and digestion with wheat that is so overprocessed and combined with other additives. Our bodies cannot handle it.

I now have solid information about wheat from the book and am finding the wheat-free regimen easy to implement and follow. So many supermarkets have gluten/wheat free sections in their stores that it is easy to shop for wheat substitutes. I love the daily eating plan that Dr. Davis wrote in the back of the book. It gave me some new recipe ideas!

As I said earlier, my daughter has also greatly benefitted from going wheat free. She is happy to be free of annoying symptoms such as stomach pain and bloating and also loves eating all of the wheat free products that we have put into our diet.

Thanks to Amazon.com too for having the book for sale online! I live in Canada and books are expensive to buy here. I was happy to be able to buy the book at a much more reasonable price online...and it was delivered to my home very quickly.
on January 8, 2012
I've been researching and reading about the transition from high protein low carb diets to the reverse for over thirty years as a professional medical anthropologist. Davis basically has it right--wheat as we know it now is behind a vast number of problems, and wheat belly is a rapidly spreading disease of industrial monocrop agriculture. But its only part of the BIGGER problem that kind of agricultural system represents, not just for human health but for the entire biosphere. Cutting out the wheat could be a step in turning around the whole runaway train with its cascade of problems, but expect BIG resistance to this idea. BIG seed industry, wedded to BIG pharma is not going to take this lying down. Expect a pushback to describe this as quack science: its definitely not, but you'll hear a lot of nonsense about this hypethesis soon. Keep your eyes on the target: your dinner plate. And keep a copy of this handy: you'll need it.
on March 8, 2012
It is a very informative book with good information. It discusses why celiac disease is more prevalent now. It also discusses how wheat affects the body and lists what unsuspecting foods contain wheat(like soya sauce). It also has recipes.
on February 4, 2012
I think that this is an important book because of the well researched content presented. This book is a "best seller" and possibly controversial because it runs against the popular diet advice that has been our western mantra for 25+ years. I have purchased several copies of the printed book for family members and friends as well as the audiobook for "reading" while on the road. I recommend the audiobook as well, great narration by Tom Weiner.
on April 30, 2012
Included in this very detailed and well presented book is the latest science in the world of food and nutrition and a small selection of wonderful recipes that really do work. The author gives an extensive history of wheat and modifications made to the original plant over time accounting for the increasing numbers of individuals suffering conditions from allergies to chronic diseases. I have made almost every recipe with great success and will be making another tonight for dinner. My only criticism about the recipes would be the lengthy preparations. Most take at least an hour to prepare so are not recommended for fast meals. However, without question, the value of this book supercedes any meal preparation. I am a nurse nutritionist with a science background and use this book almost everyday to review and appreciate the vast advancements in the scientific literature. Both the lay person and the heath professional (including medical practitioners)would benefit from reading this book. An abundance of explanations written in simple clear language accompany each fact and scientific principle with applications for everyday living. I would strongly recommend purchasing this book and eagerly look forward to the author's cookbook being released in December, 2012.
on July 5, 2012
For anyone who has ever wondered about the health and necessity of wheat in our diets...read and be enlightened. Presents a very compelling picture.
on November 17, 2011
Likely one of the most life changing books for me. My husband is a ciliac so I have been "careful" about wheat for many years but . . . after reading this book - I know all the damage that grains are doing to my body. Have been grain free for about a month and am beginning to lose weight but better than that - my energy is increasing and I don't want to eat all the time.