4.0 out of 5 stars It works... you will feel 100% better
This is an excellent book, and diet... I have been eating no wheat for the past month because of this book and I feel 100% amazing.
The bloating and digestive issues that used to plague me are completely gone. My skin is glowing. I have more energy. And I have lost my "wheat belly."
When you embark on a wheat free diet, you quickly realize that almost everything...
Published on Dec 26 2011 by pd204wpg

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of research, but questionable findings.
I started out reading this book full of hope at all of the well researched details about the negative effects wheat has in our diets and on our health. The author has really done his homework well and is quite knowledgeable. Where I lost confidence was in the conclusion he draws from those findings. He seems to use the words grains and gluten interchangeably in his...
Published on Jan. 8 2013 by Diane Allen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 421 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID Research, Jan. 8 2012
Peter Stephenson (Victoria, British Columbia, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (Hardcover)
I've been researching and reading about the transition from high protein low carb diets to the reverse for over thirty years as a professional medical anthropologist. Davis basically has it right--wheat as we know it now is behind a vast number of problems, and wheat belly is a rapidly spreading disease of industrial monocrop agriculture. But its only part of the BIGGER problem that kind of agricultural system represents, not just for human health but for the entire biosphere. Cutting out the wheat could be a step in turning around the whole runaway train with its cascade of problems, but expect BIG resistance to this idea. BIG seed industry, wedded to BIG pharma is not going to take this lying down. Expect a pushback to describe this as quack science: its definitely not, but you'll hear a lot of nonsense about this hypethesis soon. Keep your eyes on the target: your dinner plate. And keep a copy of this handy: you'll need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener..., July 5 2012
Elizabeth Ellison "Living Green" (Sherwood Park, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Paperback)
For anyone who has ever wondered about the health and necessity of wheat in our diets...read and be enlightened. Presents a very compelling picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost 11 lb in first month, Oct. 2 2012
Makes a lot of sense. Easy to follow and explains why Agribusiness takes priority over people's health. Would have liked more recipes to try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheat Belly, March 8 2012
It is a very informative book with good information. It discusses why celiac disease is more prevalent now. It also discusses how wheat affects the body and lists what unsuspecting foods contain wheat(like soya sauce). It also has recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars vital info. for all, Sept. 8 2012
This book will change your life. Vitally important for good health. I have purchased two copies of this book to share with friends. Leaving the wheat alone has so improved my health, I can't believe the difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and Habit-Changing, Oct. 9 2012
meghanlinn (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Paperback)
I once read a quote that food can either be the most powerful medicine, or the slowest-acting poison. This is such a true statement. I thought I knew what to expect when I picked up this book, knowing a number of people who live with celiac or gluten sensitivities, and yet I was still surprised over and over with the science of nutrition and metabolic chemistry that the author lays before the reader. I have been eating gluten-free for a couple of months, and my muscle aches, cravings, and fatigue are greatly improved. Now, having read this book, I am planning to reduce/eliminate sugar and animal protein. It is worth the effort to not only feel healthy, but to BE healthy at a cellular level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book, Dec 28 2011
The information in this book appears to be well researched with the author's own experience with patients in his medical practice. Finally, the answer to the problems of obesity, diabetes and many other diseases affecting the human population appears to have been found. It's wheat baby, in all its forms and variations. It ain't the stuff our forefathers were eating. It's been modified so much that instead of feeding us it's killing us. This book is a must-read for everyone who eats food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just wheat, but may also need to eliminate other flour products, Sept. 25 2012
Dr. Albert M. Kim (Burnaby, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Paperback)
I agree with Dr. Davis in restricting or removing wheat from diet. But I do see that patients who are severely intolerant of wheat products (bread, cakes, etc) do not have the same reaction to them while their stay in France.

I concluded that the certain local French wheat must be of different strain.

However, to nit pick, I haven't seen the dramatic weight loss changes that Dr. Davis reports such as 20, 30 or 50 pounds being off wheat, and I have put many people completely off wheat, sometimes for several years. And I also hope Dr. Davis meant, "fat loss" not simple overall "weight loss." Since the body's "weight" is made up of the good mass as well, such as muscles, bones, organs, water, etc, the term "weight loss" gives no meaning one way or the other in reference to the changes in someone's health status. People want health, not just weight loss. Two individuals of same height, sex and weight can have dramatic differences in their body composition.

Significant fat reduction occured in my practise only when ALL FLOUR products (corn flour, rice flour, oat flour, rye flour, spelt flour, etc) were removed from the diet. This is because all flour would significantly raise insulin level usually peaking at 30 minutes after consuming these products. And to maintain a healthy body and mind, the hormone imbalance should be ruled out as well. This you should check with your doctor.

This was a great read, and I thank Dr. Davis for the tremendous work put in.

Dr. Albert M. Kim, ND
Author of Mind Your Healing
Mind Your Healing!: How to Get Healing Out of the Way So That You Can Step Into Other Dimensions of Your Life

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvelous Book!, April 30 2012
Included in this very detailed and well presented book is the latest science in the world of food and nutrition and a small selection of wonderful recipes that really do work. The author gives an extensive history of wheat and modifications made to the original plant over time accounting for the increasing numbers of individuals suffering conditions from allergies to chronic diseases. I have made almost every recipe with great success and will be making another tonight for dinner. My only criticism about the recipes would be the lengthy preparations. Most take at least an hour to prepare so are not recommended for fast meals. However, without question, the value of this book supercedes any meal preparation. I am a nurse nutritionist with a science background and use this book almost everyday to review and appreciate the vast advancements in the scientific literature. Both the lay person and the heath professional (including medical practitioners)would benefit from reading this book. An abundance of explanations written in simple clear language accompany each fact and scientific principle with applications for everyday living. I would strongly recommend purchasing this book and eagerly look forward to the author's cookbook being released in December, 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, June 8 2012
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Paperback)
This is the book I needed to read my whole life. Finally, an answer to the question, "Why do I have such an appetite for 'bad' foods in the first place?" If only I had known twenty years ago about what wheat does to the body! Even if you don't have any weight to lose, the scientific information is excellent and the benefits you can experience if you "lose the wheat" (and adopt a LCHF lifestyle that features real foods) are life-changing. This book is very well-written, funny, full of anecdotes and it answers the question, "Well, now what?!" at the end. If it doesn't make you say or think "OMG!" on every page, it will at the very least give you entry into a whole new, interesting conversation about how we are affected by what we eat.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 421 | Next ›