march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Hardcover|Change

I have to admit, when I first received a copy of this book, I thought it was a joke. A very funny joke, but I had no idea it was an actual book meant for general publication. The fact that it has been so popular shows that I'm not the only person who enjoyed the joke!

So what is this book all about? Simple. It's about the frustration a parent can feel trying to get their young child (2-6 years or so) to bed. The book is beautifully drawn like a children's book, uses rhymes like a children's book, but drops a frustrated f-bomb on every page. The book rants about having to read one more book, calling nonsense on frequent requests for water, and similar situations (I love the last page!). I think the book is both so funny and so successful because a lot of parents can empathize with the feelings in the book.

Now I should mention that this book isn't for children. It also isn't for parents with children who never had problems going to sleep. Or parents who strongly disapprove of swearing. Or parents who won't like humor. Or parents who had so much free time and/or support that they didn't mind spending hours getting a child to sleep (or maybe getting the nanny to do it). For the rest of parents, as witnessed by the absolutely huge industry in "how to get your child to sleep" books, getting your child to sleep is often a major battle, chore, and/or energy drain.

The tone of the book is hopefully lighthearted enough for no one to confuse it with a parent actually wanting to put down their child or verbally injure/insult them. Rather, it's a reflection of the frustration good parents sometimes feel when their best efforts to get a child to sleep just aren't working. For the tenth night in a row. With that in mind, I found the book to be a very funny salute to the parents out there who are either going through "sleep warfare" right now, or who have been through it with their kids in the past. Keeping in mind my disclaimers above about who this book is for (i.e., most parents and definitely not their children), I can honestly say that this is one of the best parenting books I've ever come across. No, it won't help you get your child to sleep. But maybe it will let you know that a lot of other parents are in the exact same boat. And sometimes that's all you need to get you over the stress of putting your little angel(s) to bed.
Although crass, any parent who has struggled to get a child to sleep has thought some version of this books title. The good thing about this book is its not just a cheap laugh for a title, it actually reads really well and references several bedtime books you have probably read to your child. A cute gift from Mom to Dad or for a friend dealing with a lack of sleep-- a good laugh, and let's you know you're not alone!
on August 21, 2011
I bought this book because I heard about it on a SModcast called Hollywood Babble-On staring Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman. They talked about the origin of the book and the author. What really made me want it was when they mentioned that it was the number one selling item on Amazon and it wasn't even printed yet. So when it became available, I had to own it.
I myself do not have children but I still remember whet it was like to be a kid and this book has entertained me to the core.
on February 3, 2014
I gave this as a gift to the parents of 3 children. They had such a good time reading it they laughed so hard they were in tears. Obviously its not a children's book, just a fun, sarcastic, book about getting your kids to go to bed.
on April 8, 2014
Bought this as a gift for my daughter & son in law as their 2 year old loves to be up at night.
They appreciated the humour, but the language may offend some people.
I can identify with the sentiments as a mother of three.
on December 6, 2014
If you are a parent with a sense of humor you will enjoy this book. One of the most memorable Christmas presents I ever gave. My brother in law laughed till he was crying because these thoughts go through everyone's head.
on July 13, 2011
I gave my husband this book for fathers day. It was a great relief to know that my daughter isn't the only devil that doesn't like to go to sleep. We keep it out for company to read when they come over.

It's always a great laugh and really is a great book!
on September 6, 2011
Any parent should get this. There are nights that I so want to say this to my kids. You will laugh and nod at the same time. Incredibly well written and accurate.
on October 4, 2011
As a mother of a 4 month old, a two year old and a four year old this book helped bring the humor back into parenting! Struggling with our daughter demanding "Bring me Water" and "I'm still hungry" to our two year old son who thinks bedtime is actually playtime and a four month old who won't go to sleep with all the chaos at bedtime, this book was exactly what we needed! It shows the funny side of bedtime and now when my child is yet again asking for water or another one of her never ending demands, I'll be thinking of this book laughing that I'm not the only mother in the kitchen giving into my child in the hopes that they'll reach dreamland sometime in the future! And this is definitely not a book I would read to my child but I have bought it as a gift for expectant parents as they have no idea what they are getting into either!
on August 11, 2011
Great book, relives the horrible times trying to get a toddler in to bed but I'd borrow a friends... We've both read it once, had a good laugh and now we don't know what to do with it because we'd hate for our kids to find it in a few years....