march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 7, 2015
Hark! A Vagrant, from the author Kate Beaton, an anthology of the popular webcomic of the same name is a hoot! Beaton perfectly melds simplistic, yet endearing drawings with witty, sometimes crude, but always hilarious commentary. Quite a few literally and historical jokes in her comics, so would make a great gift for a big brained history buff.

Even though I know little about history I still found these comics hilarious. The unexpected blending of random and often ridiculous humour with wry observations pairs perfectly with the drawing style. Bought this for my husband and ending up reading it as well!
on October 11, 2011
As a huge fan of 'Hark! a Vagrant' comics I was thrilled to lean there was a compilation of them for sale. Especially so that I could introduce my friends to them with the book.
Received it after a speedy shipping and am very happy with all aspects of the book, the size, wight, feel, quality, and the sheer quantity of comics included too!
I was already laughing by the time I was half way through the forward (by Kate Beaton herself), and was tearing up by the first comic.
The facial expressions of the characters are as funny as the dialogue if not more, I just adore these comics. I URGE anyone and everyone to read 'Hark! A Vagrant' online, and buy the book too!
on October 31, 2011
I'm not in the business of reviews, unfortunately. All I can say is.

+ Well drawn. Beaton has a knack for making even obscure characters recognizable with only a few lines, and she brings out the emotion and character through these squiggles like an expert

+ Hilarious. Even if you don't know who the historical figures or literary figures are, you'll still get a laugh. Beaton knows how to draw them out of you with sometimes the characters not even saying a word.

Bottom line, this book is well worth your time and money. Give it up and laugh yourself and guests at your home out with this great book.
on September 9, 2013
Brilliant, funny, engaging and even educational in some parts! If I don't get one of the comics, I immediately want to do background research so I can fully appreciate the Beaton's sharp tongue in cheek comedy that never fails to make me giggle mischievously.
And oh so wonderful it is. Kate Beaton is a gem. Her take on the moments of history is wry, witty, wise and downright funny. Everyone should read this book.
on November 24, 2011
A playful art style with straightforward character expressions dutifully serves as a medium for parodying historical events and tropes, important people, and popular literature. Entertaining to read even if you don't understand some of the references -- it may even encourage you to learn more about the past.
on December 30, 2011
Was so happy about this book. It arrived the day after I ordered it and looks absolutely beautiful. I definitely recommend it if you're a fan of Kate Beaton or of anything funny in general.
on July 17, 2013
I really loved it. So funny and clever! Thanks Amazon for making it so easy to find and purchase. Next time I want a book I'll go through this company
on February 9, 2016
I get the jokes but they are not that funny. Kind of bland and self-indulgent. To me the great reviews are way overrated.
on January 26, 2015
Excellent book that also makes a great gift. What else has she been up to lately?