5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published on Nov. 25 2011 by Heather Malcolm

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that gluten free friendly
A good variety of recipes but I purchased the book as I need to be gluten free and many of the recipes (the majority) have some gluten foods in them. I use it but it wasn't the major resource that I thought it would be. Nothing wrong with the product or variety, just not suited to my needs.
Published 6 months ago by Loretta D. Puckrin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Nov. 25 2011
This review is from: Spilling the Beans: Cooking & Baking With Beans & Grains Everyday (Paperback)
I've made three recipes in the last 2 weeks: the best tomato soup (it has 3 kinds of tomatoes, lentils and oatmeal) I've ever made, mulligatawny and sweet potato, lentil and spinach curry. I've also made the carrot sweet potato curried soup before (Julie posted it on her blog). Everything we tried at the book launch was also very good (who knew I liked parsnips? Especially when they're roasted and made into a soup!).

I cooked a big pot of black beans yesterday on the stove (no presoaking required) and a crock pot full of chickpeas, too. Divided them up and put them in the freezer.

The book is full of great tips and recipes using ingredients you probably have in your cupboard. These are healthy recipes that don't skimp on flavour! I don't think you can go wrong with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Legumes!, March 31 2012
I love cookbooks and I'm usually happy if I find two or three recipes in each one that my family loves. I was hoping this would be a good choice as my family loves beans. I've now made several recipes from this book and each one was a hit. My kids actually had an argument over who was going to get to eat the last of the roasted beet salad. The black bean brownies are absolutely yummy. I've also made two of the soups, the blackeyed pea and kale soup and the curried sweet potato soup, and both were delicious. The chickpea masala sandwiches were another big hit. I love that the ingredients are fresh and the steps are simple, yet each recipe has amazing flavor and texture. Best cookbook I've bought in a while!

4.0 out of 5 stars Encore!, Sept. 12 2012
Bought the cookbook on a recommendation from around the lunch table at work. Have now bought 5 copies to share with friends that will love this cookbook as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Jan. 14 2012
I bought this after seeing the authors on TV. It was well worth the wait. We have made at least 6-7 recipes and loved everyone, especially the Thai Chicken. I had to buy my two daughters this book as well just so I could keep mine at home. And yes it was well worth waiting for. We are all trying to pur more grains and beans into our diet and this book makes it really easy. My sister as well has ordered this book. Thanks for this great addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum yum, Dec 13 2011
I have been looking for some time for ways to incorporate grains and legumes into weekly meals that are simple, easy to prepare, and delicious. I have found the book, and one of the best parts is that it is written by Canadian girls. I've made three or four things since acquiring this book, and they're all delicious, healthy, and easy to prepare.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH better than I expected, Jan. 7 2013
I live alone and work full time. The soup recipes are easy to prepare and GREAT for my 12 hour shifts. I have been struggling to maintain a healthy diet at times because there is so much junk at work to grab quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family tested until perfect, July 21 2012
Arachne646 (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
I heard about this cookbook through a fave review in the Georgia Straight, our alternate newspaper. By the time my turn at a reserve copy came up at the Public Library, it was over a year since I'd read about it. The recipes were worth it, though! After trying a few, even my husband (who prefers blander, smoother, softer side dishes, accenting the meat, not the other way around) was sure we should buy it, too. Most recipes don't contain meat, and those that do, use it to accent the beans and grains--both are included in most recipes, and the ones I have tried so far are delicious and easy to prepare, although the preparation time estimates seem a little optimistic.

My only criticisms would be the book's unwieldy size and binding--it's hard to keep open for reference as you cook, so I may follow advice I've heard for knitting books--have it rebound with a spiral binding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and easy recipes, April 1 2012
An excellent book for those wishing to cut back on redmeat protein. Easy to follow recipes that work, and taste great. Have used many of the recipes and have not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Beans, Nov. 23 2011
Excellent recipes and good teaching guide for beginning to incorporate more beans and lentils into our diets in the tastiest way!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, Nov. 14 2011
So far so good. Have tried 3-4 recipes with my family, and they have been a hit! I am sure the rest will be too, as I am an avid follower of "Dinner with Julie" and her recipes are always, easy, delicious and popular with my 2 teenage sons.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›