4.0 out of 5 stars Great Village, Oct. 23 2011
This review is from: Great Village (Paperback)
I was very pleased with this novel. Growing up close to the area I understood as I listened to the story unfold the way people think was taught by many generations before us. I found this a very enjoyable read and passed the name of the book on to many people.
Coming from the same area I also understood how much we need help in getting to be known as an author.
Best of luck. I hope to meet you some day Mary Rose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Descriptive, Oct. 31 2012
This review is from: Great Village (Paperback)
This story takes place over a relatively short period of time. The memories of times gone by bring substance to the characters and to the place they are in their lives in the present. Relationships are explored and sometimes it seems that only the reader is privy to the secrets that define those relationships. The descriptive writing draws the reader right in to Great Village and the spray of the cold ocean water. There is humour and sadness sprinkled with a good dose of what it is like to age. Mostly you would like to share a morning coffee with the two main characters, Flossie and Mealie.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VILLAGE: Great book!, Aug. 18 2011
J. Gibson (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Village (Paperback)
I'm thrilled with this book of intergenerational intrigue in a very real Nova Scotian setting. It should win a Governor General's literary award and be listed on Canada Reads.

The novel weaves together rich "coming of age" scenarios - at several stages of life. Wisdom, reconciliation and resolution are juxtaposed with tragedy, secrecy and suspicion within a troubled set of familial relationships. Nevertheless, there is hope and plenty of humour.

Donnelly's writing style in flawlessly fluid, sprinkled with remarkable imagery, turns of phrase and priceless expressions that make me wish I were part of the Nova Scotia milieu from whence they must have sprung!

Great Village is a great read and a great catalyst for discussion. No family should be without it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet wisdom, April 25 2014
This review is from: Great Village (Paperback)
Lovely, wise novel! How come it didn't receive more attention?! This is a quietly powerful piece of Canadian fiction. So glad we read it in my book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough reading pleasure, July 14 2013
This review is from: Great Village (Paperback)
I have not yet finished reading Great Village, but I am completely enjoying Mary Rose Donnoly's style of writing and havee re read several passages so far just for the pleasure. Ms. Donnoly is able to express herself in a refreshing manner that makes reading a pleasure.

Great Village
Great Village by Mary Rose Donnelly (Paperback - May 30 2011)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16