Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on August 28, 2012
I was instantly drawn into the narrative by Eli’s directness and the 19th century Western dialect. He is accused by other characters of having poetic tendencies, and this is true. I found his relationship to Tub -- his inadequate and eventually blinded horse -- touching. Tub is the lesser horse (compared to Eli’s brother’s horse Nimble) in the same way that Eli is the lesser killer (compared to his sociopathic brother Charlie). Eli’s feelings for Tub mirror his own self-doubt as well as his longing for kindness, understanding, and forgiveness.
The tale is nasty, brutish, and at times humouress. Many critics have mentioned a likeness to the Western stories of Elmore Leonard. Initially, I was reminded of Jesse Bullington’s “The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart,” although early similarities disappear by the novel’s conclusion.
The cover design by Dan Stiles is amazing and enhanced my enjoyment of reading the trade paperback rather than an e-version.
on April 1, 2013
Loved this book! It is Western style, but very original. One moment you like the character, and the next moment you're not so sure... which makes them all so very true to life. It is amazing what hard lives people had in the 1800's and what lengths they would go to in order to satisfy their greed. I was so sorry to reach the last page, and know I wouldn't hear more about Eli and Charlie. I saw this book a while ago, and the cover turned me off. For some reason the artwork contained on the cover and inside the book didn't suit the era of the book, to me at least, yet I really liked the artwork. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to stubble across anything that is original and compelling, and very human. My only regret is that no one I know has read this book yet, and I'd really like to talk about it with someone!

Happy Readings!
on January 6, 2015
I don’t think I’ve ever read a book with some very intelligent killers, before I even mention
anything about this, the movie “Unforgiven’ rest on the same theme that this book delivers,
bad guys are beating up the hookers and cutting up there faces, but these two want to kill this
guy because he’s bad, I tell you, if you need any education or intelligence, (other than pronouncing
words and know how to read) you can figure this out, I will definitely stop writing reviews,
Wow, whatever they encounter in-between is extra gravy, I love this book and it’s so easy to read,
this book is a good read folks don’t let people pull that proverbial wool over your eye,
I wish all the people in the world were geniuses, then we can sit there and stare at each other,
“Read This Book You’ll Love It”
TOP 100 REVIEWERon August 30, 2012
Charlie and Eli Sisters have been commissioned by the Commodore to assassinate a prospector taking part in the California gold rush. They’re lightning fast on the draw and seemingly invincible even when outnumbered by competing killers. Yet Eli, the narrator of this story questions the lifestyle and desires a change. Encountering many nefarious individuals while seeking their fortune at every turn, the brothers are a continual source of entertainment to the reader. Charlie, the elder, is constantly pushing Eli into committing acts toward which he either feels ambivalence or moral discomfort. This is a terrific story told terrifically well.
on March 19, 2012
I am surprised that no one commented on the fact that Eli walked through the door adorned with the (seer)old women's trinkets, despite her chilling admonishment not to do so. Charlie didn't - too scared, but Eli did, because he needed to save Charlie. We all thought it was black magic, they were doomed. But it was the talisman that saved those hapless brothers. Defy fear, face and defy evil, and take care of your kin. They are the Sisters Brothers after all. And guess what? They made it out alive, they got home.

This is an amazing tale for today's times.

And I loved the dialect. So gentle, so powerful.
on January 8, 2013
I absolutely love this book. I brought it along when I was doing a little solo camping. I happened (by sheer luck) to have a small bottle of brandy with me, and if you know anything about this book, you'll know that was a very lovely fluke. I honestly can't remember the last time I had this much fun reading.

I finished it in one night, which is something I don't often do. I loved every page. I've lent it to four or five other people, who all have loved it as well. I'm not the "western" type, either.

Buy it. Read it. And if you happen to have a little brandy, use it.
on August 13, 2013
Loved this book! Picked it up to fill an hour or so on a Sunday afternoon and then couldn't put it down. Eli, an unlikely gunslinger, with his tireless search for love and deadpan humour, is an engaging character in an awkward predicament. Add to that the relatable family dynamic in his relationship with his brother Charlie, and I found myself immediately and completely pulled into the world of the Gold Rush and the Wild Wild West! Can't wait to see what DeWitt comes up with next.
on May 5, 2012
This is a fine book. Beautiful language, interesting story. I have read that many people find it funny, but I confess that I did not. It was amusing at times, and never predictable or boring, but I never laughed. I do not mean that as criticism. I read it in a rush, which is unusual for me, because I just loved the narrator's words. It felt to me like a "guy book", but my wife's book club (all women) read it and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit as well.
on January 16, 2015
A new classic. Reminds me of True Grit but different, its own thing. The narrator again is great---that is what carries this book, I think. The great narration of Charlie Sisters. I am looking forward to more from Dewitt.
on February 28, 2012
A terrific story. I enjoyed every page; hard to put down. Reminiscent in tone of the remake of "True Grit" -- a quirky western with moments of violence coupled with dark humour. Highly recommended.