Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on August 13, 2011
Set in 1851 right in the middle of the California gold rush, the novel tells the story of two infamous brothers Charlie and Eli Sisters who set out on a mission by the commodore from Oregon City to apprehend and kill Hermann Kermit Warm.

The chapters are short and the pace is brisk as the brothers drink, swear, trick and shoot their way west in pursuit of their quarry encountering a witch, an orphan and a prospector gone mad in the solitude of his work.

The narration of Eli Sisters is in a evocative cowboy patter and the description of the fairly frequent violence is vivid the effect being to put you in the saddle as they slaughter their way across the west toward California but it's not for the feint-hearted.

It's an entertaining yarn, the relationship between the younger Eli and the elder Charlie is an intelligent mix of admiration, jealousy and competition and the vivid prose is a real highlight. It is very light reading and I went through it in a couple of days without really trying. My judgement is that it's good but not booker good and I can't see this one getting through to the longlist.
on February 2, 2012
The publishers review reads 'Patrick] DeWitt has produced a genre-bending frontier saga that is exciting, funny, and perhaps unexpectedly, moving', however I found this book was not the least bit exciting, rarely funny, hardly moving and yes... unexpected in a weird sort of a way. I am reminded that when a book comes with a long list of awards it is hardly ever a really good read. Some parts of the book were quite gruesome and the rest was mostly just boring. I did finish reading the book, and the last part of the book centered around a rather unique idea (regarding gold prospecting) but it was not a book that I would recommend to anyone.
on January 19, 2012
A beautifully written evocative tale. But I didn't like it. The dialogue and interior monologues are witty and intuitive, the descriptions are fantastic but as a story, I didn't care for it much. As other reviewers have stated, there is a lot of violence in this tale and my stomach turned with the treatment of the horse. The book is about a long journey and the return to home as many books are but in the end I felt "so what." I would read this author again as he is indeed talented, maybe it was just a case of the subject matter not being to my taste.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is one of the strangest and wildest novels I have ever read. With all its twists and turns and bizarre outcomes, I don't know how to classify it other than to call it a modern spoof about the legendary West, encased in an anything-goes, cowboy style. While one part of me finds the adventures of two hell-raising brothers bent on doing their thing as hired guns a compelling and a sometimes amusing read, another part takes issue at the often awkward and loose way in which they are told. The account of Eli and Charles as gun-touting, adventure-seeking hitmen doing the bidding of a local `mafia' boss comes with plenty of peculiarities that make it fast-paced, unpredictable and something larger than life. One, complicating the lives of these two murderous bounty-hunters is that Eli and Charles are brothers who really care for each other, a quality that one doesn't generally associate with contract killers. Two, their quest appears to be a never-ending journey into the wilds of the Oregon Territory to kill someone they have never met. The reader will take three-quarters of the book to discover who their quarry really is. Three, along the way, obstacles will emerge that require both ingenuity and good fortune to overcome and stay the course. Four, in the end, our two gunslingers will accomplish their mission only to realize that the venture has been so much more than originally anticipated. Decent men and women have been killed; trust has been broken; and life has virtually been taken to the edge. On all these points, deWitt has done a reasonable job in composing a readable novel. But, in creating this torrid-paced, thriller of a novel, the author may have taken some significant literary short-cuts to get art to imitate life. For instance, the story hurls ahead with breath-taking speed as it tries to wow the reader with a big-moment, crazy story. What results in the end is a plot that has too many gaps, too many improbable moments, and too many stock characters. Throw in the extensive use of the modern idiom and you have a novel that, while imaginatively conceived, is poorly planned and rendered. In no way, does it even remotely come close to being in the same league as Cervantes' "Don Quixote".
on July 24, 2012
After all of the hype surrounding this novel (especially in Canada; I don't know about other countries) I had expected something more stunning. What I found was a well written and entertaining piece of fiction; however, it lacked the depth of a truly great novel. In great novels I find myself pondering themes and ideas presented throughout the course of the book long after I have flipped the final page. The Sisters Brothers never progressed beyond a fun, adventure story, and while I enjoyed it for what it was meant to be, I disagree with anyone heralding it as a great piece of literature. It is much better than most of the worthless fiction that adorns the tables of bestsellers in Chapters and Coles, but it is just a good book, and not a great one.

The story centers on Eli and Charlie, two very strong protagonists, and though they are the perpetrators of cruel and violent acts, they still retain the sympathies of the reader. Much like the heroes of the Spaghetti Westerns of Sergio Leone, these are violent, cold men who make a living by their penchant for killing. DeWitt places these hardened killers into a world of rough and evil men, a world where human life has little meaning and the "good" characters are really no better than the "bad" men that they kill.

Eli is the narrator of the story, and as the gentler of the two brothers, he serves as a buffer between the reader and the drunken, hardened Charlie. Eli dislikes his current profession and continues in it only through a sense of loyalty to his older brother. He is a very well fleshed out character, vastly different than the typical lean, cool gunslinger of Leone's films, and instead an overweight and surprisingly sensitive fellow. Although he is fat, Eli does not degenerate into a mere comedic farce of a character, humouring the audience as he tries to be heroic; he manages to still be a completely serious and sympathetic character. His weight problem serves to add to the gritty, realistic effect of the novel by showing that not all deadly fighters have to be romantic. This is further shown through Charlie, for even though he is more of the cold, deadly, and lean gunslinger than his brother, his image is undermined by the fits of alcohol binging that he resorts to in between killings to drown away his turbulent conscience. A character like Clint Eastwood's Man with no Name in any of Leone's films is shown only as a romantic figure; the adverse effects of his lifestyle are never revealed to the audience. Charlie's drunkenness and self loathing undermine his romantic image and add a layer of gritty realism to the role of a gun-slinging hit man.

Although the characterization is excellent, the actual plot of the novel is very average. It is more of a roaming adventure story than a seriously plot driven novel. This does not have to ruin a book, for many superb novels are not equipped with gripping plots, but what they lack in plot they usually atone for with a fascinating and deep insight into life. For example, Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway has no real plot and merely follows the activities of several characters throughout the course of a single day in London, yet it remains a great novel for her ingenious insight into human nature, and the way in which she examines the universal sense of loneliness felt by all of her characters. DeWitt, on the other hand, does not have a particularly deep insight into any facet of life; therefore, the lack of a strong plot is keenly felt. The plot that he does have is decent and is interesting enough to keep the reader hooked, but it is not enough to qualify the novel for any accolades in the realm of great literature.

Overall, I consider The Sisters Brothers to be a good book and worth reading, but I cannot recommend it too highly. In the future, I will probably give deWitt another chance with his next novels; only now, I will know exactly what to expect.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 14, 2014
The best thing about this book is the cover. Just look at it - it's fantastic!!
As per the story, it was alright. Not bad but not great. It's the story of two brothers who are essentially contract killers back in the gold rush era. The story is told from Eli Sisters point of view. He's the nicest character in this book (and he's a killer so that tells you something). At least he feels like he wants a different life. His brother Charlie is a killer through and through, and a jerk. They get sent out to kill Hermann Warm and most of the story is about their travels to get to him. Some of it was interesting but some was totally irrelevant and I don't understand why the author decided to write these things in. In the end, I think the moral to this tale is 'Karma's a B!tch'.
on July 29, 2014
I had to try to get into this book a couple if times. The start of the story seemed so foreign to me that I couldn't continue. Once I understood the complex relationship between the brothers I was able to enjoy the book more. I truly liked the book but feel many questions remain unanswered. What of the protection/ curse? What was its import to the story? The ending seemed anti climactic as well. It might require another solid read to find these answers, or to determine there are none to be had. Strange but entertaining.
on February 14, 2012
I wasn't overly impressed with this book. It is set during the gold rush days but the two brothers come off like they should be English professors rather then two hired killers. The details were not very realistic - particular about the state of dentistry in the 1850s. I read the book, just didn't enjoy it all that much.
on March 3, 2012
Not being a fan of westerns, this book wasn't "on my list" but a colleague at work enjoyed it and loaned it to me. And I'm glad I read it given all the hype. Did I love it? No. However, I did find the dialogue really entertaining. Just a little too shoot-'em-up for me.
on August 17, 2012
I thought Sister's Brothers was fantastic writing........
However I didn't much enjoy the subject matter.
I was surprised at how I was very interested in continuing
to read when I had no interest in the subject matter.