5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in this series
Published on Sept. 8 2002 by Moe811

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok read; not as good as others in the series
I enjoyed this book, but could have done w/o all the sex. While LKH did eventually grab me w/ the story, I found myself tiring of Anita's constant sarcastic humor. I kept wondering when she'd get a little maturity and stop being so snide and more understanding. I felt disconnected from the characters in this book more so than in the others. I really enjoyed the last 7...
Published on May 29 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars A new era for Anita, not for the kiddies!, Jan. 11 2004
Ashley Megan "amazonfox" (Vernon, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
As sexy (maybe more so) as "Killing Dance", with, in my opinion, a tighter plot and a tad less lecturing. Eeeexcellent. Downside: no Jean-Claude (Anita, if you don't want him, there are plenty of women who would), as the werewolf Richard finally gets another chance with the woman who left him for a vampire.
The book opens with Anita being called out of town to help Richard defend himself against rape charges. Naturally, he's being set-up, for the sole purpose of getting him out of the way so the bad guys can do their thing. And naturally, this makes both Anita and Richard stubbornly stick around, very much in harm's way, to thwart their evil-doing. Anita's brought a couple of Richard's werewolves and some of her wereleopards, and with the local werewolf pack, there's a lot of the same discussions about lycanthrope protocol that marred "Killing Dance"; thankfully, Hamilton seems to have toned it down a bit, or maybe she just ran out of things to say.
Much is made of Anita's position as default "lupa" of the werewolves, since Richard hasn't picked another consort since she left him. The wolves don't much like being led by a human - if Anita even is human. It wouldn't be an Anita Blake novel if she didn't gain some sort of new power, so suffice it to say she learns a lot about how to be a lupa by the end of the book. (Her dubious status as Richard's ex-lover is resolved, too - and it's just as hot as anything she's shared so far with Jean-Claude.)

Sometimes Hamilton still stretches things a bit; certain elements are just on the verge of being forced. I'm not sure if I belong to the "this is the beginning of the end" school of thought, although if you think that sex is the downfall of this series than assume that from this point forward you'll be disappointed. Personally, I love the fact that Anita collects lovers like shoes; the fact that so many men are falling all over themselves for her is great! Sex and violence is not for everyone, but if you're not afraid of a strong woman who doesn't always take the high road, you'll be in love with Anita too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Road to Hell, Sept. 25 2002
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I think the most interesting thing about this series is seeing Anita transform slowly from your average PI type into a stone cold Psycho. It happens so slowly it becomes unnoticable up until near the end of Blue Moon. Those of you who read it know what I'm talking about. Anita has always killed fairly easily, and thats a good reflex to develop when you're dealing with stuff that can rip you in half. But to see her do the one thing she said she would never do (despite all her despair afterward) was truly amazing. This is not the Anita of Guilty Pleasures. She's still gaiNng a new power every book, (which is annoying...come one Hamilton you've got to come up with something better), and she's still a hypocritcal little prude, but underneath all that she slowly turning into Edward. Thats refreshing.
Richard is still the world's biggest boyscout. Hopefully some of that will end with this book. And Jean Claude...well he's still French. I'd be happy if they both died, that way she'd lose some of her power and go back to relying on wits and steel. But I see that not going to happen, so I hope they work their stuff out and Hamilton finds a new formula. I mean just how many Men are there with Long Hair, exotic eyes, and impossible hansome not quite human bodies are there in Saint Louis?
With all that said, one must realize that this isn't exactly 'deep' reading and its a bit silly to pretend it is. Its entertainment for sado-masochist goth fetishists. Sex and Violence refined to perfection and slapped with a coating of 'good story'. So please don't expect anything more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in this series, Sept. 8 2002
Moe811 (New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Anita Blake and Richard are broken up again. He can't seem to deal with his lycanthropy or her relationship with Jean Claude. He is spending the summer finishing up his master's degree, studying the trolls of Tennessee. One day Anita gets a call from his brother Daniel. Richard is in jail for rape. This is totally out of character for Richard, and worse yet, he won't hire a lawyer because he's innocent. With the full moon only five days away, Anita and a few of the monsters rush down to save him. The master of the city will not allow Jean Claude, so Anita is basically on her own. As usual Richard is no help. There is alot more going on here than is obvious. People are being found ripped apart and the attacks are blamed on trolls, even though trolls don't kill. A rich man is trying to buy the trolls habitat to look for holy relics, and the local master is very angry and scared of the Executioner. On a good note, a local witch seems to understand some of Anita's problems and is willing to help.
This as usual was a very gripping novel. Anita is trying to balance the hit man with all of her new responsibilities. Jean Claude helps when it helps him, and Richard is more of a selfish baby than ever. Anita's character is really developing, great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anita to the Rescue!!, April 2 2002
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
In this 8th book of the series, Anita is still growing as a character. But while growing, she is learning that she has to break a few of her own rules to survive. This book is about alot of things but the undercurrent is basically about Anita's relationships with the werewolfs Jason and Jamil, the wereleopards Nathaniel, Zane and Cherry, and the vampires Asher and Damian. She is taught that not every monster is exactly a monster and that these "people" need reassurence and love too.
At the beginning of the book, Anita drops everything to run to her ex in Tennessee who has been arrested on attemped rape charges. When she gets there she realizes that there is more in the air than the stinch of false charges. She brings with her an assortment of vamps and were, some of which were sent by Jean-Claude, because of a threat by the local master vamp of the city. Anita is still providing protection to those with her as Lupa and Nimir-ra and alot of the book focuses on that fact. Anita learns exactly what it means to be lupa when she is possessed by the munin of a past lupa who hated Anita. She is now having to learn to battle and control the munin before it distroys her. Because of the munin, Anita is thrown into a situation that she cant get out of..but Richard is worried at first but is more than happy to help her. Can we say.. ITS ABOUT TIME!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, March 26 2002
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
"Blue Moon" by Laurell K. Hamilton finds our heroine, Anita Blake, necromancer and vampire executioner, at a crossroads in her life. Can she live with the things she has done? How far has she fallen from God's graces? As Anita examines her life, she is involved in yet another dangerous adventure, which sweeps the reader away into Anita's weird and wonderful world.
I have trouble saying this book was excellent, because I am not a Richard fan, and though I have tried really hard to like him, I just can't do it. So, because Anita betrayed Jean-Claude, her super sexy vampire lover, with Richard, who could not be more wrong for her, the entire book was tainted for me as a result. With that said, however, it is still a thrilling and fun-filled read that I did enjoy, just not as much as all the others.
In this 8th instalment of the series, Anita receives a call informing her that her ex-fiancé, Richard Zeeman, junior high science teacher and alpha werewolf, has been arrested for rape in Tennessee. Anita drops everything and goes to help Richard, despite the fact the local Master Vampire has forbidden her to enter his territory.
When Anita arrives, she starts trying to solve the mystery of who would want to frame Richard for rape and why. It becomes immediately obvious that the local police are corrupt, and are trying to run them out of town. But that's not all Anita has on her plate. Colin, the Master Vampire, is giving Anita and her entourage serious problems, threatening them and harming their people. Anita also has to observe the appropriate werewolf politics as she deals with the local werewolf pack. Add in several of Richard's angry ex-girlfriends and a demon and you have one heck of a story!
One thing I really enjoyed in this book was getting to know some of the secondary characters better. We get to see a lot of Anita's wereleopards, Nathaniel, Cherry, and Zane, Jason and Jamil the werewolves, and two of Jean-Claude's vampires, Asher and Damian. Though I liked the inclusion of these seven people as integral characters in the story, I couldn't help but miss Jean-Claude.
"Blue Moon" is most definitely worth reading despite the problems I had with it, which are more due to my personal opinion than actual flaws in the story. Hamilton has once again created a fast-paced and exhilarating tale that will completely absorb readers. When you need to escape from your everyday troubles, Anita's wild world of vampires, werewolves and zombies is the perfect solution. So don't miss out on the fun, buy this book (and all the others) ASAP, I guarantee you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars the Name Game, Dec 18 2001
A. Nod (Las Vegas, Nevada, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Who is Anita? What does she believe in? What does she live for? Herself? God? Who?
In Blue Moon, Anita is at a crossroads. The Point of No Return. Can she live with herself, the things she's done, the things she's pushed to do? Is her faith and love enough? What does Anita want-out of life, love and living? No more putting herself second.
Hamilton gave us non-stop action and constant motion of her characters and plot line. Now, it's a slower, leisurely pace; in other words toned down. Not as much killing, gore and the like, a little more sex.
It's the book that stops and makes Anita examine herself; it is something she can no longer ignore. What is she becoming, the monster within the monster unleashed? She can no longer tell the difference when goes down south to aid Richard of a bogus rape case. The story line isn't that strong, but it's the moral development that really catches you. She's accepting her place as nimir-ra to the wereleopards, and master to Damian. She's changing, in more ways than one and in more ways than is told in the book.
Anita is a crisis with herself and her beliefs. It was bound to happen sooner or later and it's a great place to continue with it, it's more addressed than the last one where it just starts to begin. Ignore those readers who don't understand character development. If Anita continued as before, she'd just become
1-D, rather than 3-D. A real person would most likely go through some self-crisis. Granted, it won't be a favorite, but it's still a really great read. I gave it a five because I love that Anita is questioning herself and its an important step and part of the story; it's something I would have done if I were in her shoes (yeah right! ;))

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of My Favorites Of The Series, Dec 12 2001
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all, to the newcomers to Anita Blake: read the books in order! Each book can stand alone, of course, but reading them in order allows you to understand how the characters and their relationships have evolved and deepened.
Having said that, I really love this book! Everyone has their favorites in the series, and this is one of mine. I like it because, as usual, Ms. Hamilton used a lot of characters in the story, but more importantly, the secondary characters' personalities were developed more fully than they had been in a lot of the previous books. There were more in-depth scenes between Anita and Jamil, Jason, Nathaniel, Asher, Cherry, Zane, and Damian, than there had been previously. They became persons in their own right in this book. Jamil and Anita come to terms with their animosity toward each other; Jason's character is expanded and his friendship with Anita grows; the neediness of Nathaniel is finally understood by Anita; Asher's feelings toward Anita are finally exposed; Anita's affect on Damian is explained and their ties are strengthened; and Cherry and Zane become more than convenient wereleopard stand-ins.
For Jean-Claude fans, more is revealed about his motivations and his feelings toward Anita. For Richard fans, he and Anita finally do the deed (at long last, and well worth waiting for). For Anita fans, she begins to come to terms with her role within the wereleopard pard, her relationships with "the boys", and a crisis of faith is resolved. She also learns to deal with her expanding powers resulting from the tightening of the marks that bind her to Richard and Jean-Claude. As an extra bonus, we get to meet Richard's mom, and his brother Daniel.
The story is well-written and is horrific, amusing, graphic, scary, sexy, and witty. It has vampires, werewolves, wereleopards, trolls, corrupt police, a sadistic murderer, a sorcerer, and - worst of all - Richard's angry ex-girlfriends! It is definitely a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is "Wow!", Sept. 21 2001
The_Leanansidhe "skremaks" (LaGrange, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm sorry to say that I just recently discovered Laurell in the "Out of this World" anthology. I am a serious Nora Roberts fan, and I always buy these anthologies with a touch of regret. After all, I'm paying $8 for a 90 page short story. But I always make myself slog through the rest of the stories just so I can say I got my money's worth. Imagine my surprise when I got to the preview of "Narcissus in Chains." All I could think was "Who is this?!" I literally read the preview 3 times in the same night. Unfortunately, the bookstore was already closed, or I would have been driving to get the rest of her books at midnight! As it was, I was waiting outside the bookstore when it opened the next morning! I bought all of them at once, and started reading as soon as I got home. This was over a month ago, and I am still reading them! I have read "Blue Moon" and "Obsidian Butterfly" 15 times a piece, at least! These are some truly amazing books, and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone! (As a matter of fact, I think I've already gotten a good start on that! LOL)
Happy reading, fellow Anitaphiles!

2.0 out of 5 stars This book may make you want to stop reading the series., July 13 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I LOVED the previous Anita Blake stories, so I was totally blown away when I read Blue Moon. Up until this point, I thought Anita was a fabulous role model: strong, moral, and fearless. Well, now we can throw moral out of that listing. I know most of the other reviews gave away who she slept with in the book, so I won't dance around the issue. First we find that Richard is not at all like what he was portrayed as in the previous novels, then we discover that Anita has turned into a big ball of hormones. I have no problem with a certain degree of sex and romance in the Blake series, but it seems as though this book was written specifically for the sexual aspect. Sorry if I sound like a prude, but I was just totally appalled by Anita's betrayl of Jean-Claude. I couldn't put down all of the previous books, but this one is giving me problems. I think I'll finish it just so I can get to Obsidian Butterfly, which I've been told has an actual story. Well, I feel better now that I've gotten to complain about it (no one I know personally has read the series). DO read the Anita Blake series. Few books are like it. Maybe you'll enjoy Blue Moon more than I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anita Blake gets down to running with the pack, July 9 2001
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
The biggest challenge facing Laurell K. Hamilton in her Anita Blake Vampire Series is upping the ante volume after volume. In this 8th volume our heroine drops everything to rush to Tennessee where Richard has been arrested for attempted rape. Obviously somebody is trying to frame Richard, who was down studying Lesser Smokey Mountain Trolls to finish up his M.A. degree in biology. "Blue Moon" focuses on Anita as the lupa of the Thronnus Roke Clan lukoi and Nimir-ra of the pard, although her being a necromancer, animator, vampire hunter and human servant all come into play. Her ability, and willingness, to call the munin becomes crucial. Hamilton continues to expand the roster of monsters and their ilk with not only a sorcerer and a psychic this time around, but also a full-fledged demon. The final fight between good and evil in "Blue Moon" is rather anticlimactic, since the most important development in the book happens in the aftermath of the battle.
I think that this is an excellent move on Hamilton's part, because the constant attempts to top the confrontation with evil from the previous novel ends up tampering with the credibility of the story being told. This novel is about Anita's relationships, not with Richard and Jean-Claude, but rather with the supporting cast of Jason, Nathaniel, Zane, Jamil, Cherry, Asher and Damian. "Blue Moon" is not a great novel in the series, but it is certainly above average and whets our appetites for the next adventure. One thing that is absolutely clear now is that the Anita/Richard/Jean-Claude triumvirate is never, ever going to be over. Final warning: while the level of graphic violence has abated a wee bit, the sexuality of these novels has increased big time. These are novels for adults and I pity the Buffy fans that stumble upon this series, misled by the "Vampire Hunter" title which is more of a marketing ploy that an accurate description of our heroine.

Blue Moon