Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on May 10, 2000
This is my very first Terry Pratchett book and I must say that he suceeded in making his book interesting and hilarious. What I really didn't like about this book was that the ending was corny and the plot never seemed to hold together.
At the beginning of the book, the wizard faculty of the Unseen University is looking for Rincewind, a lunatic wizard left stranded on the Terry Pratchett equivalent to Australia. The reason the faculty is looking for Rincewind is because he's the only one in the known world who knows the real name of the Unseen University Librarian and by knowing his name, the wizards are able to cast a spell to cure him of his odd sickness. So now the faculty is looking for him .... uh-oh .... they got lost in a strange dimention. (This constitutes approximately 50 pages of this 400 page book). The rest of the book hardly even mentions this doomed librarian and the faculty seems to forget what their initial plan was to begin with! The book also has Rincewind running around the Pratchett equivalent to Australia with nothing in particular to do or with any particular meaning.
Now, of course, the reason I decided to give this book three stars is because it has wonderfully constructed one-liners --I practically laughed my gut out! The wizards talk with gods quite a bit and they just loooove arguing with each other, resulting in hilarious consequences. The dialouge is pretty good as well.
I must say that this book is enough to make me want to read another Pratchett book (in fact I went out and bought The Color of Magic when I was done reading) knowing that this isn't Pratchett's best work.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2001
It is great to see Rincewind back in action. His part of the story is realy fun. But the part about the UU wizzard is not very good.
I will give it a 4 starts for Rincewind part alone