march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 24, 2010
I have given up on most Patterson's novels years ago, the one exception are the ones written with Ms. Paetro. Actually I should say written By Ms. Paetro as I am sure Patterson's contribution is minimal. The books are written by Paetro and Patterson's name is added to the cover to generate sales. This is a disgusting practice, but don't mind it so much in this case as the book is actually pretty good, thanks to Paetro! I just don't understand why Ms. Paetro cannot be given full credit for her work? Are we all such mind numb idiots that we will only buy something from a big name (a big name who has written a lot of garbage in recent years).

Jack Morgan has returned home from Afghanistan a war hero when he goes to visit his father in a California prison. Tom (Jack's Father) is serving a life term for murder and extortion. Tom wants his son to reopen his investigation business "Private" and gives him access to $15 million he has stashed away in an offshore account. In the years to come Jack builds the business into a world wide success with famous clients and a strong reputation. The story follows two plot lines one is the murder of an old friend's wife and the old friend is the number one suspect. The other involves one of Jack's investigators who has been called into a serial murder case by the LAPD. The killings are of school girls over the past two years and the police are desperate. This one hooked me from the beginning and never let go!
on July 6, 2010
I ordered this not realizing that it was not actually written by James Patterson. The storyline sounded intriguing but from the first page I knew I'd made a mistake. Having been burned before by books written by other than the author you think you're buying, I studiously avoid these kind of novels. I can't view the webpage now, that I pre-ordered it from, but the second author's name was either not shown or minimized to the point I didn't see it.

I read dozens of adventure / mystery fiction books every year and anxiously await the next James Lee Burke or Nelson DeMille books, among others of their calibre. I'd previously read books by James Patterson which I enjoyed, so I pre-ordered this one. The quality of the writing is in the minor leagues by comparison.

If I wanted to buy Maxine Paetro, I would simply do that. There are so many authors who sell out and retire and reap the dividends of their previous track record by letting another writer do the heavy lifting. I won't buy another sub-authored book and James Patterson is permanently off my list, whether original writing or not, along with Tom Clancy and the rest of their ilk. DISAPPOINTING.
on October 23, 2011
I enjoyed this book and all others written by James Patterson. Yes he has a co-author, but you can tell he contributed his style and writing. I have been a Alex Cross fan for years, since the first one. I am still a huge fan of James Patterson, and think that he is using co-authors, to give them a chanch to be reconized. Bravo Mr Patterson. Keep on writing and I will keep on reading.
on January 20, 2014
I really liked this book and have liked all the James Patterson books I have read so far. Great mix of mystery and suspense in all of them. Will continue to read more of them.
on March 9, 2014
From the beginning it captivates your sense of curiosity
and justice.......a great read!!!! You don't want to stop the storyline....
on August 3, 2015
It was fast paced with twists and turns that kept you wondering who did it. Lots of action with a good dose of reality
on November 5, 2014
Never a dull moment. This is the third book I have read in the Private series and each one has been an amazing read.
on July 4, 2011
A bit ho-hum and predictable. And the really short chapters (eg: a page and a half) make the book seem more voluminous - it wastes at least half a blank page with each chapter change and there are 124 chapters, so there are at least 62 empty pages. Annoying! His old Cross novels were better.
on May 14, 2015
It was very good. But my favorites are still Women's Murder Series and Alex Cross series.
on August 17, 2014
Patterson writes another great novel, the Private series is a must read for any true fan.