4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Paetro!
Published on June 24 2010 by Jenny Blickman

1.0 out of 5 stars Another author subcontracts his work...
Published on July 6 2010 by S Beaman

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Paetro!, June 24 2010
This review is from: Private (Hardcover)
I have given up on most Patterson's novels years ago, the one exception are the ones written with Ms. Paetro. Actually I should say written By Ms. Paetro as I am sure Patterson's contribution is minimal. The books are written by Paetro and Patterson's name is added to the cover to generate sales. This is a disgusting practice, but don't mind it so much in this case as the book is actually pretty good, thanks to Paetro! I just don't understand why Ms. Paetro cannot be given full credit for her work? Are we all such mind numb idiots that we will only buy something from a big name (a big name who has written a lot of garbage in recent years).

Jack Morgan has returned home from Afghanistan a war hero when he goes to visit his father in a California prison. Tom (Jack's Father) is serving a life term for murder and extortion. Tom wants his son to reopen his investigation business "Private" and gives him access to $15 million he has stashed away in an offshore account. In the years to come Jack builds the business into a world wide success with famous clients and a strong reputation. The story follows two plot lines one is the murder of an old friend's wife and the old friend is the number one suspect. The other involves one of Jack's investigators who has been called into a serial murder case by the LAPD. The killings are of school girls over the past two years and the police are desperate. This one hooked me from the beginning and never let go!

1.0 out of 5 stars Another author subcontracts his work..., July 6 2010
S Beaman (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Private (Hardcover)
I ordered this not realizing that it was not actually written by James Patterson. The storyline sounded intriguing but from the first page I knew I'd made a mistake. Having been burned before by books written by other than the author you think you're buying, I studiously avoid these kind of novels. I can't view the webpage now, that I pre-ordered it from, but the second author's name was either not shown or minimized to the point I didn't see it.

I read dozens of adventure / mystery fiction books every year and anxiously await the next James Lee Burke or Nelson DeMille books, among others of their calibre. I'd previously read books by James Patterson which I enjoyed, so I pre-ordered this one. The quality of the writing is in the minor leagues by comparison.

If I wanted to buy Maxine Paetro, I would simply do that. There are so many authors who sell out and retire and reap the dividends of their previous track record by letting another writer do the heavy lifting. I won't buy another sub-authored book and James Patterson is permanently off my list, whether original writing or not, along with Tom Clancy and the rest of their ilk. DISAPPOINTING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Private, Oct. 23 2011
This review is from: Private (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book and all others written by James Patterson. Yes he has a co-author, but you can tell he contributed his style and writing. I have been a Alex Cross fan for years, since the first one. I am still a huge fan of James Patterson, and think that he is using co-authors, to give them a chanch to be reconized. Bravo Mr Patterson. Keep on writing and I will keep on reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, March 9 2014
This review is from: Private (Kindle Edition)
From the beginning it captivates your sense of curiosity
and justice.......a great read!!!! You don't want to stop the storyline....

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Private (Kindle Edition)
I really liked this book and have liked all the James Patterson books I have read so far. Great mix of mystery and suspense in all of them. Will continue to read more of them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ho-hum, July 4 2011
This review is from: Private (Paperback)
A bit ho-hum and predictable. And the really short chapters (eg: a page and a half) make the book seem more voluminous - it wastes at least half a blank page with each chapter change and there are 124 chapters, so there are at least 62 empty pages. Annoying! His old Cross novels were better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to finish it, June 12 2011
This review is from: Private (Paperback)
Another one that is just a drag, but I have to finish it, costs too much not to. And, the second hand book stores won't take these books, so you're pretty much stuck with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Private, Feb. 10 2012
jordan brookes (Norquay Sask. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Private (Paperback)
I gave it as a gift to my mom and have not read it yet, I am sure it will be a nail biter as they always are. When it is my turn to read it, I am sure I will not be able to put it down.

ARRAY(0xba556f6c)