4.0 out of 5 stars A Strange Tale of a Lonely House
My first experience of The Woman in Black was at the age of 12. It was Christmas Eve, and there was an adaptation of the story on the television that night. My family wanted to watch Legal Eagles on another channel, but I was firm in my resolve - I had to see The Woman in Black. Eventually, I won the argument and we all settled down to watch the chilling tale on a cold...
Published on Aug. 17 2007 by Nolene-Patricia Dougan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, odd writing style...
I picked up this book after coming across the movie. Normally people would say that the movie does not do the novel justice or is not portrayed as well as one imagined it should be. In this case, I would say that they did an excellent job of filtering through the language. The Woman in Black is a good story with a twist that I certainly never expected, especially after...
Published 6 months ago by Martin Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars Chills where other books cannot reach, Feb. 25 2003
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
The Woman in Black is quite simply the best ghost story written so far. Short and lacking in the gore that is integral to average ghost stories. This is an impecable tale of a malevolent spirit who will not stop in her revenge on the society that wronged her. The story chills in a manner far more piercing than the cold marsh mists integral to the plot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Reading = Boredom; Visually = Interesting., Dec 10 2003
This review is from: The Woman in Black (Paperback)
"The Woman in Black: A Ghost Play" is an adaptation of the novel by Susan Hill and I do not think it transcends to a script well. I saw a production of this play and visually, it's fantastic; reading it will cause confusion and boredom. The stage directions and lack of information will turn people away from this play. I do not recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, June 11 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black (Paperback)
After the movie released the trailer sparked my interest in the book that started it all. I thought the book would be scary and dark, but what I got was a book that rambled and wasn't scary to say the least. It was definitely a miss for me, though I would try another of the authors books since some of her others have caught my interest as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best ghost story --- ever, Nov. 28 2002
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
I'm happy this book is now available again to Amazon readers. It is quite simply, the most readable, simple, yet disturbing story of dread and malevolence. A fright that lasts a man's lifetime, and blights his life in many ways, and on many levels. The prose is wonderful in its simplicity, and I recommend reading it aloud to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old-fashioned ghost story that delivers., Feb. 11 2003
J. Fercho (Calgary, AB. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
This is old-fashioned ghost story telling at its best; short, simple and superbly told. Best of all it delivers the goods, a shiver, a jump and a fright that lingers. Those looking for cheap thrills or gore will find this one way too tame, for the rest of you this little novel does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepalicious!, Jan. 21 2003
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
Truly one of the creepiest, spine tingling novels I've read. Beware: this is not a Kingsian book of gore. This story of a malevolent force is subtle and convincing. I was actually shocked that it disturbed me for such a "simple" story. I highly recommend Hill's book for a quick creepy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepalicious!, Jan. 21 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Easy Read, March 11 2004
"b1uecat" (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
I thought this book was well written. Some parts raised the hairs on the back of my neck! I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy to read classic ghost story. It's a little old-fashioned but that only adds to the creepy atmosphere of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary, Oct. 17 2013
It was my first novel suspence. Its a little scary. I read this book in the day not a night. Everything in the book to be scared,: lonely place, far, without communication and strange character. At the beginning of the book, you already want to know the end. And there is a question that arises throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts, good and gothic,, Jan. 10 2013
Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black" gripped me from the beginning as I could empathise with the young solicitor, Arthur Kripps, who has to travel out to a misty and murky island towards the home of the now deceased owner of Eel Marsh House, a rambling and deliciously atmospheric house in which, alone, he must rifle through papers to settle the estate of the deceased.

His initial experiences suggest of a troubled presence and unquiet souls, the atmosphere brilliantly conjured and as the tension mounts as to what malevolent spirit might harm him for his investigations, so also the sense of jeopardy as engulfing as the swelling mists mounts still more when he has to return to the house.

As the isolated dwelling is on a strip of land surrounded by the sea for much of the day and only accessible at lowest tide, the reader wonders whether, on his return, Kripps may not be so lucky to get back to 'civilisation' at all, before something unspeakable befalls him for probing into matters which other souls may have felt better left untouched.

Gore free, yet in the subtlety of its suggestion, I have to confess that I found it a trifle difficult to avoid the temptation to chew off something as unsavoury as fingernail - perhaps the trifle would have been preferable, particularly with Christmas had been looming?

The Woman in Black
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (Hardcover - Sept. 29 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 7.81