4.0 out of 5 stars A Strange Tale of a Lonely House
My first experience of The Woman in Black was at the age of 12. It was Christmas Eve, and there was an adaptation of the story on the television that night. My family wanted to watch Legal Eagles on another channel, but I was firm in my resolve - I had to see The Woman in Black. Eventually, I won the argument and we all settled down to watch the chilling tale on a cold...
Published on Aug. 17 2007 by Nolene-Patricia Dougan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
After the movie released the trailer sparked my interest in the book that started it all. I thought the book would be scary and dark, but what I got was a book that rambled and wasn't scary to say the least. It was definitely a miss for me, though I would try another of the authors books since some of her others have caught my interest as well.
Published on June 11 2012 by A Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Easy Read, March 11 2004
"b1uecat" (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
I thought this book was well written. Some parts raised the hairs on the back of my neck! I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy to read classic ghost story. It's a little old-fashioned but that only adds to the creepy atmosphere of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Reading = Boredom; Visually = Interesting., Dec 10 2003
This review is from: The Woman in Black (Paperback)
"The Woman in Black: A Ghost Play" is an adaptation of the novel by Susan Hill and I do not think it transcends to a script well. I saw a production of this play and visually, it's fantastic; reading it will cause confusion and boredom. The stage directions and lack of information will turn people away from this play. I do not recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Atmosphere, Sept. 26 2003
Hilary Miller (KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
The most similar book I can compare this to is The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Like that book, The Woman in Black starts peacefully and builds up to a frightening crescendo that will "haunt" you long after you put the book down. Another similarity in the books is the tremendous sense of atmosphere. Eel Marsh House, where the haunting takes place, is set off by itself in flat, bleak, marshy wetlands and is connected to drier land by a single causeway, which becomes completely covered by water when the tide is high. When the protagonist, the young and foolishly stubborn lawyer Arthur K., sets off to spend a few days sorting out old documents by himself in the isolated mansion, you just want to scream, "Are you crazy? Don't stay there overnight, you idiot!" I particularly liked the way the spectral happenings were presented. There is no blood, no gore, just a brooding sense of evil and mystery. I also enjoyed the relationships Arthur establishes with the kindly Samuel Daily, a local landowner, and the little dog Spider that Samuel lends to him to keep him company in his ill-advised sojourn to the haunted house. All in all, a wonderfully-written ghost story that would appeal to those who find Stephen King's more lurid and less subtle books a bit distasteful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling and spooky, July 15 2003
Gary Nicklin (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
This is a great ghost story. I was introduced to it after seeing the stage-play at my local theatre. The play had the audience screaming and I just had to see how well they had translated the book.
The play is pretty faithful to the book and I urge you to see it if its ever around your area. As for the book it is well written and very chilling. I was gripped from the start, even though I knew what was happening. The story unfolds nicely and builds the mystery and horror up to a crescendo that almost leaves you gasping and then when you think its all over... well I won't spoil it - go and read it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chills where other books cannot reach, Feb. 25 2003
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
The Woman in Black is quite simply the best ghost story written so far. Short and lacking in the gore that is integral to average ghost stories. This is an impecable tale of a malevolent spirit who will not stop in her revenge on the society that wronged her. The story chills in a manner far more piercing than the cold marsh mists integral to the plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old-fashioned ghost story that delivers., Feb. 11 2003
J. Fercho (Calgary, AB. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
This is old-fashioned ghost story telling at its best; short, simple and superbly told. Best of all it delivers the goods, a shiver, a jump and a fright that lingers. Those looking for cheap thrills or gore will find this one way too tame, for the rest of you this little novel does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepalicious!, Jan. 21 2003
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
Truly one of the creepiest, spine tingling novels I've read. Beware: this is not a Kingsian book of gore. This story of a malevolent force is subtle and convincing. I was actually shocked that it disturbed me for such a "simple" story. I highly recommend Hill's book for a quick creepy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepalicious!, Jan. 21 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best ghost story --- ever, Nov. 28 2002
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
I'm happy this book is now available again to Amazon readers. It is quite simply, the most readable, simple, yet disturbing story of dread and malevolence. A fright that lasts a man's lifetime, and blights his life in many ways, and on many levels. The prose is wonderful in its simplicity, and I recommend reading it aloud to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Terrifying, June 17 2002
Beowulf (Fort Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
I first saw this as a Broadway play, and it has been to this date the only theatre piece that gave me nightmares. I could not wait to read the novel, and just as the play was, it scared me senseless.
The novel plays heavily on atmosphere and mood. Susan Hill brings the black moors surrounding the Eel Marsh Hosue to life with vivid imagery. It's a "beautiful" setting for the frightening ghost that lives there. The characters are incredibly realistic and interesting to follow. You feel for Arthur Kipps in his trials and tribulations dealing with the Woman in Black in Eeel Marsh House. All in all, a wonderful ghost story that seems as if it should've been written by Jane Austen.

The Woman in Black
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (Hardcover - Sept. 29 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 5.69