4.0 out of 5 stars A Strange Tale of a Lonely House
My first experience of The Woman in Black was at the age of 12. It was Christmas Eve, and there was an adaptation of the story on the television that night. My family wanted to watch Legal Eagles on another channel, but I was firm in my resolve - I had to see The Woman in Black. Eventually, I won the argument and we all settled down to watch the chilling tale on a cold...
Published on Aug. 17 2007 by Nolene-Patricia Dougan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, odd writing style...
I picked up this book after coming across the movie. Normally people would say that the movie does not do the novel justice or is not portrayed as well as one imagined it should be. In this case, I would say that they did an excellent job of filtering through the language. The Woman in Black is a good story with a twist that I certainly never expected, especially after...
Published 3 months ago by Martin Foster

2.0 out of 5 stars Reading = Boredom; Visually = Interesting., Dec 10 2003
This review is from: The Woman in Black (Paperback)
"The Woman in Black: A Ghost Play" is an adaptation of the novel by Susan Hill and I do not think it transcends to a script well. I saw a production of this play and visually, it's fantastic; reading it will cause confusion and boredom. The stage directions and lack of information will turn people away from this play. I do not recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best ghost story --- ever, Nov. 28 2002
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
I'm happy this book is now available again to Amazon readers. It is quite simply, the most readable, simple, yet disturbing story of dread and malevolence. A fright that lasts a man's lifetime, and blights his life in many ways, and on many levels. The prose is wonderful in its simplicity, and I recommend reading it aloud to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old-fashioned ghost story that delivers., Feb. 11 2003
J. Fercho (Calgary, AB. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
This is old-fashioned ghost story telling at its best; short, simple and superbly told. Best of all it delivers the goods, a shiver, a jump and a fright that lingers. Those looking for cheap thrills or gore will find this one way too tame, for the rest of you this little novel does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepalicious!, Jan. 21 2003
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
Truly one of the creepiest, spine tingling novels I've read. Beware: this is not a Kingsian book of gore. This story of a malevolent force is subtle and convincing. I was actually shocked that it disturbed me for such a "simple" story. I highly recommend Hill's book for a quick creepy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepalicious!, Jan. 21 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Easy Read, March 11 2004
"b1uecat" (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Woman in Black (Paperback)
I thought this book was well written. Some parts raised the hairs on the back of my neck! I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy to read classic ghost story. It's a little old-fashioned but that only adds to the creepy atmosphere of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary, Oct. 17 2013
It was my first novel suspence. Its a little scary. I read this book in the day not a night. Everything in the book to be scared,: lonely place, far, without communication and strange character. At the beginning of the book, you already want to know the end. And there is a question that arises throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts, good and gothic,, Jan. 10 2013
Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black" gripped me from the beginning as I could empathise with the young solicitor, Arthur Kripps, who has to travel out to a misty and murky island towards the home of the now deceased owner of Eel Marsh House, a rambling and deliciously atmospheric house in which, alone, he must rifle through papers to settle the estate of the deceased.

His initial experiences suggest of a troubled presence and unquiet souls, the atmosphere brilliantly conjured and as the tension mounts as to what malevolent spirit might harm him for his investigations, so also the sense of jeopardy as engulfing as the swelling mists mounts still more when he has to return to the house.

As the isolated dwelling is on a strip of land surrounded by the sea for much of the day and only accessible at lowest tide, the reader wonders whether, on his return, Kripps may not be so lucky to get back to 'civilisation' at all, before something unspeakable befalls him for probing into matters which other souls may have felt better left untouched.

Gore free, yet in the subtlety of its suggestion, I have to confess that I found it a trifle difficult to avoid the temptation to chew off something as unsavoury as fingernail - perhaps the trifle would have been preferable, particularly with Christmas had been looming?

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good ghost story that should be read in bright daylight., Dec 6 2012
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Woman in Black (Paperback)
First Sentence: It was nine-thirty on Christmas Eve.

It’s a simple-enough assignment. Solicitor Arthur Kipps is sent to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Instead, nothing is simple or what it appears. The house is isolated at the end of a causeway and accessible only when the tide permits. The townspeople are secretive and frightened, the longer Arthur stays at the house, the more ominous become. Then he sees the ghostly lady in black.

This is definitely a thing-that-go-bump-in-the-night book and so wonderfully British. I knew it was a ghost story when I started. Boy, is it ever.

It starts easily enough. Kipps is an interesting character who, it appears, suffers from the then unrecognized SAD (seasonal affective disorder), so going to Eel Marsh House isn’t exactly the best environment for him. Then slowly, “things” start happening.

In the best tradition of classic horror writers, Hill draws you into the story until, as with the marsh, you can’t escape. You’re not certain you should continue reading into the night, but you can’t put it down either. Some, I see, have complained about the ending, which I agree is a bit abrupt, but it is also very effective.

“The Woman is Black” is an very good ghost story that should be read in bright daylight. Otherwise, I don’t guarantee a good night’s sleep.

THE WOMAN IN BLACK (Suspense-Arthur Kipps-England-Victorian) – VG+
Hill, Susan – Standalone
Vintage Books, ©1983

5.0 out of 5 stars The Woman in Black, Nov. 29 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black (Paperback)
After seeing the adapted movie I was curious to read Shirley Hills book. Enjoyed it immensely, her prose and style were a fast read.

The Woman in Black
The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (Hardcover - Sept. 29 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.94