5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you want in a great mystery book?
Short review: It's an incredible book and I am very lucky that I had access to an Advanced Reader's Copy. You, gentle reader, would enjoy it most if you read the first five books in the Three Pines mystery series as they all build in terms of character and story to make the experience far more rich and rewarding.

And a longer (if you wnat to keep reading)...
Published on June 11 2010 by Marjorie Tucker

and names too remember. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in the history of Quebec and
the separatist movement.
Published 19 months ago by David Lewis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you want in a great mystery book?, June 11 2010
Marjorie Tucker (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bury Your Dead (Hardcover)

And a longer (if you wnat to keep reading) version: My love affair with the books of Louise Penny began two years ago when I read the first of her Three Pines mysteries, "Still Life". I have read a lot of mysteries (including 120 in the last three years) and Louise Penny has become one of my favorite writers. All of the mysteries I read have their fair share of good and evil, usually a corpse or two and someone searching for the answers.

In Louise's world, her people are so complex and fascinating (beginning with the Surete's Armand Gamache) that you wish you could move into the small Canadian village of Three Pines and join them for a cup of cafe au lait and a croissant. So what if people seem to die there (of unnatural causes) at a higher per capita rate than almost anywhere else! It's a world of good friends and great food and challenging weather, of art and poetry and greed and mayhem and undercurrents. So many wonderful undercurrents. Penny does not underestimate the readers' intelligence and for that we can be grateful. This newest book, "Bury Your Dead" takes you to several locations throughout Canada, but her skill in tying it all back to Three Pines and the residents there is wonderful. I have no desire to spoil any of the storyline(s) for you, so I will just say that if you like your reading to include sly wit, heartbreaking emotions and a deep understanding of what makes us human, this is the book (and series) for you. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked the book although I thought there were too many plots and I found it a bit confusing. There were,also too many character, Jan. 10 2013
the separatist movement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Discover Québec City, Jan. 22 2012
This review is from: Bury Your Dead (Paperback)
Ms Penny improves which each new book. Discover this great city while enjoying an entertaining whodunnit! No need to read all the previous books as recurring characters are well described. Some creative liberties with historical facts which the author acknowledges in the introduction. A good read nonetheless.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, July 12 2011
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
6th book the Chief Inspector Gamache series

'Bury your Dead', won numerous awards in Canada and other countries for being the 'Best Crime Novel' in 2010 and consequently became profitable for everyone in the business. Browsing reviews from different sites before I finalized my thoughts, I discovered most readers' qualified it as extraordinary; the best in the series'.seems I am one of the few to question this assessment.'OMG did I dislike one of Louise Penny's cosy novels? What did I miss?

I agree with those saying that Louise Penny ran out of ideas in this one, after creating so much murder and suspense in Three Pines she seems to have lost focus and direction in this one. The action moves to Québec City, dead of winter, Carnival time, where we learn the loveable Inspector has suffered a traumatic event. Initially I wondered, did I miss something, where, when and how did this event happen?

This latest instalment is a rather quiet introspective story that intertwines three plots:

1) Inspector Gamache while in recovery mode decides to spend some time with his mentor in Québec City and rehash some of his memories that still haunt him and try to tie up some loose ends. While there, he stumbles upon the Lit& His Library/Museum at the time when a body is discovered in the basement. Naturally our Québec 'Columbo' takes the reins of the investigation, an investigation that brushes the delicate aspects of history between the French and Anglo communities.

2) While in flashback mode Gamache rehashes the events of a deadly police investigation that went terribly wrong. A deadly raid that always comes back to haunt him.

3) Another case that has also haunted him over time is brought to the forefront. He was never happy with the outcome and asks Jean Guy Beauvoir to revisit the case with the hope of answering some of his unanswered questions. It is a step back in time covering the events in the novel 'The Brutal Telling'

The author hopscotches her way between plots that are not linked in an awkward manner making it very hard to follow, even with a full background of the previous novels, I found it a challenge. MS. Penny passion for Québec can be overwhelming at times, French terms and expression add atmosphere to the prose but may not have full effect if not understood. Gamache wandering the cobble stone streets of the Old City munching a baguette or a croissant spells tourist rather than a native of the province in my books'.The pacing pussyfoots all through the story, the only serious action surfaces in the last pages with Gamache's step by step recount of the botched investigation.

This was a tedious read, a disappointment. I preferred when Inspector Gamache focused on one case at a time

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun mystery tinged somewhat with archaeological reality surrounding the compulsive ..., July 21 2014
This review is from: Bury Your Dead (Paperback)
Fun mystery tinged somewhat with archaeological reality surrounding the compulsive search for Champlain's grave by a Québecois enthusiast. The setting in Quebec City is fun and the tension between a shrinking Anglophone community in the midst of a Francophone milieu is well presented. There is a strain of historical reality running through the fictional present. I've only read one other of Penny's books and didn't find it nearly as enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good read, May 8 2014
I found this a difficult book to read- follow- or enjoy. I never did finish it- and would definitely not choose another one by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, April 18 2014
This review is from: Bury Your Dead (Paperback)
as with all Louise Penny books my wife and I both enjoy her books very much. I would highly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars murder and mystery, April 17 2014
This review is from: Bury Your Dead (Paperback)
A great read, especially if you are familiar with the areas this series is set in. Love the characters and can't wait to read the rest of the books I ordered!

5.0 out of 5 stars A way to rediscover Old Québec, Jan. 5 2014
This review is from: Bury Your Dead (Paperback)
Louise Penney masters the art of writing in a superb manner.
I appreciate her understanding of human nature and her exquisite way of expressing it.
I have read it twice and will probably read it again now that I have been on the tour now offered in the Old Québec area.
I discovered quite a few places i did not know of! Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book!, Sept. 4 2013
H. Rowe "Mimi" (Salt Lake City, Ut) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bury Your Dead (Paperback)
Louise Penny's book are so much fun to read....full of Quebequois/Canadian culture and interesting history in that northern region. The interesting characters found in the small rural community of Three Pines are fun to follow....as well as the two detectives (Gamache and Beauvoir). I got this book for my daughter who devoured it in a few days. To say the least, it is captivating!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bury Your Dead
Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny (Paperback - Sept. 15 2010)
CDN$ 24.99 CDN$ 15.67