5.0 out of 5 stars A+ to understand Aspergers in depth., July 1 2014
This review is from: Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome (Paperback)
A must read for anyone having a loved one living with Aspergers. Easy to read and in plain language for family members to understand your loved one's complex world.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book!, May 30 2014
This was the best and most informative book about girls on the spectrum that I have read. My daughter is 13 and was just diagnosed with high functioning autism spectrum disorder in November and this book was extremely helpful in helping me to understand her. It also lets you know how the girls grow up as adults and how they may view parenting, relationships and careers. It gave me a lot of hope for her future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, Sept. 16 2013
Bought this for my 12 year old daughter whilst waiting for actual diagniosis, very informative , I also read it and it helped me so much in how to deal and help her, also helped me to to the decision to get myself tested at the same time. It's not medical jargon, but facts in language I understood. Very helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend! AsperGirl Power!, June 27 2010
BeatleBangs1964 (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is one of the best books about girls and women on the autism/Asperger's spectrum that I have EVER read! No parent, educator or medical professional should be without this gem. Women and girls on the spectrum will certainly recognize themselves in this stellar masterpiece of a book. It is very empowering!

If you are a girl or woman on the spectrum, this book is truly your best friend. Rudy Simone, like Dr. Travis Thompson and Dr. Tony Attwood is the voice of tolerance and understanding in re the a/A experience. She really "gets" it!

I like the way she replaces harmful verbiage such as "stimming," which is a term I never liked either with the more tolerant and much more accurate term "soothing" behaviors. She dislikes the term "stimming" because to her it sounds "creepy." I dislike it because I think it trivializes or downplays the need to release excess tension when sensory input gets to be too much. After all, the neurotypical (NT) population "stims," by tapping and jingling things in their pockets and fidgeting, just to name a few.

Rudy Simone is a genius. It is as simple as that. She has interviewed women on the spectrum and included their thoughts in this masterpiece of a book. Liane Holliday Willey wrote the foreword and she has Asperger's and her daughter does as well.

Rudy Simone outlines critical points throught one's life, from birth to senior citizenship with Asperger's. She outlines with clearly written, easy to follow lists of key bullet items that help direct readers' focus on Aspergerian behaviors, reasons for same and mechanisms for coping. Each chapter closes with Advice to Parents and Advice to Aspergirls. I like the new terminology - Aspergirls. Liane Holliday Willey's daughter said it sounded like a superhero and she is right. I think we should get into raising our glasses and proposing a toast to Rudy Simone!

I strongly urge everyone to read this book and I would like to give people extra copies of it. It has truly been a major help to me personally and for that, I say a heartfelt "THANK YOU, RUDY SIMONE!"

Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome by Rudy Simone (Paperback - July 1 2010)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57