Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

on August 22, 2010
Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book from the publisher, Packt Publishing.

Prior to reading this book I was already familiar with basic OOP concepts and Python 2 in particular. I expected the book to enforce my thinking and help me to understand new features provided by Python 3 as compared to version 2. I think the book managed to do this in an excellent manner.

I think the approach used by the book is well suited for a wide range of readers. It explains enough theory and provides useful examples that help to understand how to apply OOP in practice. People new to Python and/or OOP have a lot to gain from the book. More experienced users of the language may find the book ideal as reference material.

It's important to note that the book focuses on OOP particularly in the context of Python. Don't expect any history lessons or theory on various OOP approaches (prototypes vs. classes, ie.) beyond the one (class based approach) used in Python. Despite this the book provides excellent value. I do recommend checking out several other languages (Java, Lua, JavaScript, Smalltalk) and paradigms (AOP, traits) for further inspiration.
on August 13, 2010
I can't claim to have looked hard for a Python book on object oriented programming (OOP) but I was immediately attracted to the title of this book. Sure, you can find small tutorials here and there about some specific facet of OOP but I don't recall ever reading something that covers designing public interfaces using abstraction, encapsulation, etc, etc with good and practical examples! If you have, please drop me a link in the comments.
Python 3 Object Oriented Programming by Dusty Phillips does a very decent job of not only introducing the reader to the terminology and the object oriented paradigm (something that is not too complicated to understand) but also offers a comprehensive step-by-step guide that will take you from theory to a real world project. I've always felt that anyone can pick up a book about programming and learn its syntax by heart. But putting it all together and designing something that will actually work is something that you usually learn by reading other people's code or, if you're lucky enough, from a mentor.
Overall I felt that the book was well written with a great selection of sample code. Whether you already know how to do object oriented programming for other languages or are new to the whole concept and want to learn everything about it, I definitely recommend this book!
on November 14, 2013
I found the book to be well written and easy to understand how to develop Python programs using object oriented techniques.