5.0 out of 5 stars Just about all that most people need to know
Published on May 13 2011 by Robert Morris

Published 9 months ago by Dragutin Jukic

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about all that most people need to know, May 13 2011
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wordpress 3 Complete (Paperback)
The reference to the word "complete" in this book's title correctly suggests that almost anyone can read (preferably re-read) and then apply what is learned when creating a website or blog "from scratch." In my case, I had retained professionals to do much of the work for me but reading this book as well as others published by Packt enabled me to become a much better-informed and more effective contributor to our collaboration. After identifying the "what" of that process, she devotes the bulk of her attention to the "how" and occasionally the "why."

Chapter 1: A "super easy-to-use" briefing on what WordPress offers
2: How to complete WP installations and connections
3: How to add and then manage content
4: A briefing/walk-through on non-blogging content and applications
5: How to manage the website's basic look
6: How to make your own theme (i.e. design and layout)
7: A briefing/walk-through on RSS feeds and podcasting
8: A briefing/walk-through on developing plugins and widgets
9: How to manage members of a community of users
10: How to create a non-blog website
11: Coverage of most important administrator tasks for WP-driven website

Note: I invoke the term "walk-through" for Chapters 4, 7 and 8 because Silver literally accompanies her reader through a step-by-step sequence to complete hundreds of incremental tasks that first involve installations and then modifications and refinements.

I also appreciate so much the fact that, whenever appropriate, Silver and her associates create a context, a frame-of-reference, when explaining how and why one (apparently small) component functions in relationship (i.e. coordination) with others. This is especially true of explanations of plugins and cross-connections such as are now being developed at my website ([...]) that involve book reviews, interviews, and commentaries.

I highly recommend other PACKt texts such as WordPress Theme Design, WordPress 3 Site Blueprints, and WordPress 3.0 jQuery. By no means have I gained a complete understanding of all that these books cover. Fortunately, I can rely on others for the expertise that I lack. However, to repeat, a careful reading of books such as these provide the information and guidance non-technicians such as I need to understand (a) options to consider and what they offer, (b) trade-offs and the probably implications of each, and (c) the most appropriate issues to keep in mind when working with professionals.

Those who purchase this book are provided with a wealth of value-added benefits and supplementary resources that are identified on Page 4 and then at various points throughout the narrative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, Sept. 26 2011
This review is from: Wordpress 3 Complete (Paperback)
A must buy for anyone wanting to learn Wordpress. Catered more towards having your own personal blog rather than within Wordpress itself. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive WordPress handbook, Sept. 6 2011
This review is from: Wordpress 3 Complete (Paperback)
I have looked at lots of WordPress books and concluded that this one is the best. Its full of succinct, clear and easy to follow guidance and advise, relevant examples and practical screen grabs. Its very well indexed and overall, very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful guide and resource, March 13 2011
Kludged (Palo Alto, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wordpress 3 Complete (Paperback)
"WordPress 3 Complete" by April Hodge Silver is absolutely the best guide for developing and maintaining sites in WordPress. With the help of this book, I've been able to build several blogs and websites for my own use and for non-profit organizations I assist. Her explanation of shortcodes and their creative uses, for example, enabled me to produce a more functional website than I could have on my own. After my sites are up and running, I still use the book for reference. To find out more about this excellent book, see [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars The author wasn't up to the main task to show readers how to make web site in WORDPRESS although she hinted that by book title., Nov. 2 2013
This review is from: Wordpress 3 Complete (Paperback)
Too much usless talk,not practical teaching..She should teach reader how to build website.That is the title of the book,Teach readers by one general,(common ) example of websiteUntill all website function ara done.That would be very helpful and practical teaching.Than author would still have time and space to paralel practical showing with pure tecnical(professional jargon.This way readers would uderstand much faster tecnical presentation. Thank You for giving me chance to say my opinion.
Drago( Charly) Vancouver, 02/11/2013

Wordpress 3 Complete
Wordpress 3 Complete by April Hodge Silver (Paperback - Jan. 1 2011)
CDN$ 43.67