5.0 out of 5 stars This was the most helpful book I've read on Bipolar
Published on Aug. 21 2001 by Shelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing . . .
For starters, the title is rather misleading-- the book is as much about Asperger's Syndrom, Tourette Syndrom, and ADHD as about Bipolar. Unless your child suffers some combination of these different illnesses, much of the material isn't helpful.
Published on Jan. 13 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing . . ., Jan. 13 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Survival Strategies for Parenting Children with Bipolar Disorder (Paperback)
Other material was unhelpful to me as it applied to children much younger than my son (age 16), but that would of course be different for other readers.
There is useful advice, but it is neither especially novel nor particularly well organized. A chapter with rather uncritical enthusiasm for "naturopathic" remedies (among which Lynn strangely includes ECT!) also undermines the credibility of the book.
In short-- you can do better, even just with online resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was the most helpful book I've read on Bipolar, Aug. 21 2001
Shelly (Tempe, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
This book was detailed and specific. I left feeling hopeful - that yes, my child fit the Bipolar description to a "T" but that at least I could be sure she'd been diagnosed properly. Especially helpful was the chapter describing the difference between an ADHD 'meltdown' and a Bipolar 'rage.' There ARE differences - I wonder why it is so hard to explain the experiences to psychiatrists treating our children. It was also very helpful to be able to go down the list and see what the doctors are looking for to make a diagnosis - what they are talking about, the current wisdom on just what is happening in our children's brains when the rage happens - I can't endorse this book enough. I would like to buy a copy for anyone who is wondering "Is it possible my child has Bipolar? Or is it all in MY mind?" This book told me the doctor was right - I am now more certain than the doctor that this is my child's difficulty.
BUY THIS BOOK!

1.0 out of 5 stars Survival Stratagies for Parenting Children With Bipolar Diso, Dec 21 2000
By A Customer
I found this book to be of very little help. Many of the chapters focus on Aspergers Syndrome. This book did not give any new or innovative thoughts on dealing with Bipolar children. I recommended this book to a friend interested in Aspergers. I would not recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Strategies for Parenting a Bipolar Child, Feb. 11 2004
Patricia A. Foil "Trish Foil" (Niceville, FL) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for any parent who has a child with Bipolar Disorder. After my son was diagnosed I have read wverything I can find on Early Onset Bipolar Disorder. There is not much out there but this is one of the best. Mr Lynn covers each topic in a straight forward manner and in an easy to read and apply manner. If any one you know has Early Onset Bipolar Disorder or Bipolar in general this book is a must!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great resource, July 18 2003
Sheryl Gurrentz (Colorado) - See all my reviews
This book address a variety of topics that parents of Bipolar children need to understand, including a lot of information on other conditions that often occur with Bipolar disorder. The more helpful resources for parents the better. This is a great book to have on your bookshelf. Sheryl Gurrentz, author of "If Your Child is Bipolar."

4.0 out of 5 stars One Helpful Resource, July 15 2003
By A Customer
This book provides a lot of helpful information for parents of Bipolar Children. I recommend it, along with another new book, "If Your Child is Bipolar." Both books provide a lot of information to help parents deal with the various aspects of parenting a Bipolar child, which involves a lot more than avoiding suicide or giving medication.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent childhood bipolar resource, March 27 2003
Avery Z. Conner (West Lafayette, IN) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book about childhood bipolar disorder, filled with information and advice that will be helpful to parents, teachers, and other caretakers of bipolar children. It ranks up there with "The Bipolar Child" and "The Life of a Bipolar Child" as one of the most useful and comprehensive books about the disorder. The quality of writing is pretty high, it's pretty well organized, and the author seems to know what he's talking about. I like to receive information on a complex subject such as childhood bipolar disorder from a variety of sources, and this book, along with the other two I mentioned, would be a good place to start. Avery Z. Conner, author of "Fevers of the Mind".

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopeful, but realistic, Nov. 10 2002
By A Customer
Since my 6 daughter was recently diagnosed with early-onset bipolar, I've read everything I could get my hands on about the disorder. What makes this book so wonderful is that Lynn recognizes the strengths, not simply the weaknesses, inherent in this condition. He offers straight talk on the hard choices that may or may not lie ahead for parents of these kids, but he also offers a great deal of encouragement: BP is not a parenting error, but a brain disfunction; it's not simply a curse, but also a possible blessing. Because of my family's situation, the sections on conditions that are sometimes co-morbid with BP (Tourettes, ADHD, Asberger's) really weren't that helpful--which was disappointing because the other sections were so wonderful I wanted more there. But still--definitely skip the Mitzi Waltz book (mostly down-side information, maybe appropriate for kids in the worst-case scenarios, but not reassuring), but add this one along with _The Bipolar Child_ by Papolos, and you'll have a good collection of specific parenting suggestions along with the basics on medication and other choices. But this book was the first to really give me a sense of hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have For All Parents, June 3 2002
Kathleen "IngeniousGirl" (Lafayette, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Any parent will benefit, parents with difficult children - to parents with children with mental illness - will all find the facts in this book. Having dealt with mental illness for a lifetime in my family and with my children, this is the first book to fully explain what is happening in the brain, with the child, the family and provide concrete suggestions on how to approach parenting a child with mental illness. No one knows what that is like until they have been there. However, other parents who sail through life with mentally healthy kids will at one time or another be challenged. This book is a shorthand version of parenting in tough times. The depth of explanation for various types of disorders from bi-polar to depression is wonderful. Ten years ago there were no books out there for parents whose kids heaved TV's out the window in a rage, or suddenly jumped out of cars, or books that spoke to a Mother who was the only one in the whole world to love her son unconconditionally despite it all. This book is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has been a godsend!, Sept. 2 2001
By A Customer
I just received this book, and it has already been a godsend. My son (4 yrs old) is currently diagnosed with mood disorder NOS. His doctor suspects it might be bipolar. I started implementing just one of the strategies on Friday, and my son has managed to keep from losing control ever since. Prior to implementing this strategy he was manic several times a day, with rages in between. I have read several other books and tried many strategies, but this is the first to really result in measurable improvement. Some of the strategies look like they will be helpful in the future, when my son is older and has a little more understanding of his disorder.

Survival Strategies for Parenting Children with Bipolar Disorder