5.0 out of 5 stars Roman Blood is extremely good
Published on April 15 2004 by Bacchus

3.0 out of 5 stars Potential Masterpiece Blotted by Horrible Ending
The first 300+ pages of Roman Blood is a masterpiece of historical mystery writing. It has richly drawn characters, lots of suspense and a strict adherence to historical fact. In short, it is a great read. If Saylor had the judgment to end his novel with the first 300+ pages, I would have given it a 5-star rating without any reservations.
However, such is not the...
Published on June 28 2004 by Charles J. Rector

5.0 out of 5 stars Roman Blood is extremely good, April 15 2004
Bacchus (United States of America) - See all my reviews
Roman Blood by Steven Saylor was well written and well researched. Saylor was able to blend his fictional writing with factual information in a very interesting way. Being the first book in the Roma Sub Rosa series, this book has led me to start reading the rest of the series. Roman Blood blends action and mystery. Gordianus the finder is a very intriguing character that will make you think more than you think you should. Roman Blood is a great book to sit down and read to. Its entertaining, but also, if you are interested in ancient Rome, it will give great information on everyday life and Roman government. Also, the ending is a doozy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Potential Masterpiece Blotted by Horrible Ending, June 28 2004
Charles J. Rector (Woodstock, IL United States) - See all my reviews
However, such is not the case. The reason is that Saylor either decided to throw in one final plot twist or his editors compelled him to do so. This twist contradicts both established historical facts and also the facts of the case that was laid out in the previous 300+ pages. It is also written in such a way that it literally violates the suspension of disbelief that is vital to any enjoyable escape reading. The reader feels cheated at the end of the novel.
Due to the merits of the first 300+ pages, I still give this a 3 out of 5 star rating, but it could have been a 5 all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, a good Mystery, Feb. 3 2004
Ford (Goochland, VA) - See all my reviews
Roman Blood was a great historical fiction that really made you feel as if you lived during roman times. The Mystery made me keep reading and now wanting to read the next books in the series. Normally mysteries are not my favorite kind of books, but this book definitely attracted my attention.

4.0 out of 5 stars i like this book, Feb. 2 2004
I thought that Roman Blood was a pretty good book. I liked it because it was a mystery and mystery novels are usually the only books that I find interesting. My favorite character was the main character Gordianus the Finder. To me, he was like an Ancient Roman version of Sherlock Holmes. He seems to be more of the wise and curios type, although at some times he was a little boring. I also liked the novel because it gave me a much better depiction of the Ancient Roman lifestyle. It went into great detail about the streets and buildings which gave me a better image of Rome and its people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roman Blood, Jan. 31 2004
Lurlene Barnes (Goochland, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I thought Roman Blood was a good book to read if you wanted to learn more about Rome's history and how they lived their lives. Reading this book has taught me a lot about the Roman lifestyle that I would not have learned in a Social Studies book. Although some parts in this book were a little boring there were still some good events. My favorite part in this book is when Tiro and Gordanius were walking and they came across a fight between the gladiators. I thought it was interesting how Tiro wanted to stop and be a wittness because someone was lying dead in the street. I give this book 4 stars because it really relates to Roman history more than a Social Studies Book or a aritcle you would read in the paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mystery book, Jan. 27 2004
Tyler (Goochland, VA) - See all my reviews
Roman Blood is a very good mystery book. Normally I don't like mystery books, but I really enjoyed reading this one. Another good thing about this book is that it does a good job describing ancient Roman life. The book did get a little boring at times. If you don't really like Roman history then you may want to not read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roman mystery, Jan. 19 2004
Branden Huggins (Goochland, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Roman Blood was a great a mystery book. It really showed the skill investigators of ancient times had to have. I like the twst and turns of this mystery book and facts about the murder of Sextus Roscius were uncovered. I didn't like the elaborate descriptions of the Roman buildings in the area. My favorite characters were Gordanius, Tiro, and Caecilia. Tiro seems to be portrayed as such a real person even though he is a under worked slave of Cicero. Gordanius is very open to any possiblities and very thrifty about his work. Caecilia shows a great a friendship to Sextus Roscius and has a great personality.
Branden Huggins

4.0 out of 5 stars Roman Blood....a must read!, Jan. 6 2004
Steven Saylor's book Roman Blood is an easy read with an exciting plot that just thickens as you go. One of the things I really liked about this book is that it really kept you interested. Once I thought I had this mystery figured out there was another turn to the story. Finally near the very end I was almost positive I knew how it would turn out but then just like that every thing changed and it is exactly the opposite I thought it would be. Roman Blood was very descriptive and informitive. It gave me a great sense of what Roman life was like and I could almost feel, taste and smell everything through the Roman streets. I especially like the main character, Gordianus the Finder for his courage, secrecy, and kindness. I really enjoyed this book and recomend it to everyone who is ready to take on the mysterious of Roman life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roman Blood, Jan. 4 2004
Philip eby (Goochland, Va) - See all my reviews
Roman Blood was a good book. It was easy to read and it was always exciting. I also liked how this book was very descriptive. Even though Roman blood was pretty long I would recommend this book to every body.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine historical mystery, Nov. 27 2003
Gordianus the Finder --- a Roman detective with a lust for the truth, hard drinking, and his slave-girl Bathsheba --- is hired by Cicero to unearth the facts behind a mysterious killing. Gentleman farmer Sextus Roscius is accused of killing his estranged father, but the truth of the matter may reveal corruption not only in the man's own family, but in the noblest and richest families of Rome; the murder may involve even the dictator Sulla himself. This is a superb historical detective novel. Gordianus is a Roman Matt Scudder, a hard-living survivor with no special interests or abilities except a deep need for the truth and, possibly, a liking for rough justice. He's an empathetic everyman with foibles and flaws, always a must in a detective. Saylor's scholarship seems excellent; his Rome is vivid and picturesque. You get a sharp portrait of Roman life in 80 BC, from the street gutters to the gangs to the games of trigon to the slave economy. Cicero in particular is brought to life in fine detail. The book's plot is convoluted and opaque, but in a satisfying way. All together, a promising start to a mystery series with a very solid historical background.

Roman Blood
Roman Blood by Steven Saylor (Paperback - Sept. 25 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.39