Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on September 7, 2001
Picks up where 'Colour of Magic' left off. Rincewind and Twoflower is thrown from one problem to another with a quick solution always close at hand to help them.
Actually, you should only read 'Colour of Magic' and 'Light Fantastic' if you are a completist. Otherwise, I recommend readers new to the Discworld to start with the 3rd book featuring the Witches or better yet the 4th book featuring DEATH.
'Light Fantastic' isnt bad. In fact I think its slightly better than the first book. But like I said you wont miss anything much if you dont read them and jump straight to 'Equal Rites' or 'Mort'.
Rincewind, despite starring in a few other Discworld novels, has never quite reached the popularity of other Discworld regulars like the City Watch, Granny Weatherwax or DEATH. I dont know why but I think Rincewind just doesnt have that much pizzazz as a character.
Still, not a bad read.
on June 14, 2001
Perhaps I was spoiled by all the reccomendations I had heard comparing Pratchett to Douglas Adams. So, when I bought the first two Discworld books I expected to get an experience much like what I got out of Hitchhikers Guide. That's not at all what I got. I was disappointed with The Color of Magic, more a colection of occasionally ammusing stories, than a truly funny novel, but "Light" held a bit more promise. Pratchett is still no Adams. Rather than the crazed, zany, wonderfully pointless wit in "Guide", "Light" was sporadically funny, with an interesting plot and somewhat intriguing characters. So while I enjoyed the book, my expectations were too high to consider it a truly great experiense. I'm hoping for more from the later books though.
on September 4, 2014
Unfortunately it didn't ticket my Mothers funny bone. She is in her 80s though so.