march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on January 7, 1999
I was actually rather dissapointed in this book, especially after how much hype seemed to surround it.
David Brin seems to take on much more than he can chew in 'Startide Rising'.. he ends up following about 10 threads, and doesn't do any of them justice... his story lacks almost any good characterization and his imagination of science (fiction) in general seems weak.
I had a very hard time bringing myself to actually finish this book...
on July 14, 2000
The story may be considered strong, but there is one truly annoying element: most of the characters are DOLPHINS. DOLPHINS speak English, travel in and command starships, and seem to be superior to humans. This is the kind of novel that influences many to pass off sci-fi as a joke. I couldn't make it through 50 pages before I stopped in disgust. The fact that the novel won the hugo and nebula is rediculous.
on September 1, 1997
Yuk.

In this series, the author includes dolphins as some of the main characters.

They wear harnesses with various contraptions attached in order to interact with their environment and they have been genetically improved so they can communicate with their human shipmates.

If you can swallow that you may like this series. I couldn't and returned the books
on January 26, 2000
There are some intriguing questions at the beggining of the book, but they aren't solved. You have to read 4 more books for that (I won't). The style is annoying, the aliens ridiculous. I cannot recommend this!
on February 7, 2003
Again I feel David Brin ideas are great but things are never well explained plus he never tells the whole story. I feel he should back his ideas with certain facts instead of broad and vague statements. An example, he should described and explained how dolphins and chimps started to learn the speech that we humans had understood for centuries, instead of assuming that they just learned it automatically through scienitific research. Explaining the process in detail would have peek my interest and kept me interested.
The characters lacked depth and there were way too many to keep track of. I hated to look at the begining of the book each time he mentioned a character or references he had invented. I was told his newer books of this series are alot better maybe I'll read them because of his incredible imagination.
I feel he should be focused on one direction instead of compiling it alot of unnecessary components of useless things that had nothing to due with story. In my opinion, he added alot of ideas for filler space because the plot was a little weak. I usually rate books a 5 if I know I'll read it again and this book isn't one of them.