5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing
Fantastic book -- Egan's earlier work like this and Axiomatic is some of the best hard science fiction ever written. He's always enjoyable but the early stuff is decidely more accessible as well as being truly innovative and dramatic.
Published on Jan. 4 2002 by Gordon Rios

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ending Got Smeared
Published on Nov. 21 2001 by Worldreels

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, fun, and educational, May 19 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book! I knew little about Quantum mechanics before reading this, and now I have a good understanding of the concepts covered in this book. I learned something, but I also had a great time reading the story.
He develops some brilliant ideas, including neural mods that allow you to "program" your brain and run "apps" and tools to control your body, your thought processes, your emotions, etc.
I didn't like that it was set in New Hong Kong, though. The Chinese names really ran together and made it harder for me to visualize the characters, especially considering that he is an Australian writer writing for an English-speaking audience.
The ending really left me pondering. I don't think that I would have chosen that particular ending, but it is satisfying and left me wanting for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing, Jan. 4 2002
Gordon Rios (Palo Alto, CA United States) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ending Got Smeared, Nov. 21 2001
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
The premise of this story is that our everyday world of experience is underpinned with a series of smeared, multi-valued quantum-probable worlds. My first whine is who picked the title, Quarantine--one having nothing to do with the story? Next the importance of the Bubble asked the reader to stretch since man hasn´¿t ventured outside the solar system--who, besides academia, cares if the star show flickers out? The Author peeks into the future and finds that brains have been augmented with nanobug implants to make the wearer focused, loyal, strong, brave, this or that. I liked the cyber enhanced PI but after awhile it seems like Nick was playing a chess game with his own head. Also each implant enhancement came at the high cost of stifling human qualities. Finally, I liked the secret Ensemble group but got lost when the new secret, splinter group, The Canon, declared war on the Ensemble. The reader never finds out whether the original Ensemble group´¿s goals were good or bad.

Greg´¿s story started out great but somewhere along the trail the theories of quantum physics, eigenstates, collapsed multiverses, and nanobot implants smeared up the ending, but good. I thought I was on board until page 264 when Nick burns that clean hole in the bad guys head. Then this tough guy PI turns baby-puss! It seems his brain implants are turned off and he´¿s never ever killed anyone--´¿my guts are squirming.´¿ Then the name of the story becomes pick your ending--the reader gets several alternative conclusions. None of them are prepared for. At this point it doesn´¿t really matter which ending you pick since they were all equally arbitrary. The ending was murkier than the probability waves that never seemed to collapse. ´¿Am I still smeared, Mama?´¿
All in all it appeared that the story´¿s multi-layers of quantum complexity were inserted for their own sake, rather than to allow characters to develop and work out their conflicts.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wild ride into parallel universes, Sept. 4 2001
G. Patrick Sand "Travel Light but Right" (Newtown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
Although one of his earlier books, it was an interesting romp through the semantics and mechanics of parallel universes theory. And I got a real kick out of the memory implants (with price tag the first time they appeared). Almost had me wanting to go online to Axon and download them for my own use...

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn Quantum Theory the Greg Egan Way!, June 7 2001
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
Quarantine is a brilliant page turner. I love the science fiction private-eye sub-genre but what surprised me was Mr. Egan's intuitive grasp of quantum theory. I would recommend this book for the enjoyable story but also to anyone who is about to embark on learning quantum mechanics. People who study it always complain that QM is all mathematics with very little intuitive grasp. A few authors have quantum insight like Feynman but even he said that no one truly understands the quantum world (siding with Neils Bohr). Well, Egan manages to make the implicit manifest in the "normal" world for us. At the same time he gave me a mystery that kept me guessing. A great read! I am now primed to read all of his books especially his short stories. Check out Greg's home page for a real treat! Greg, you are brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely human science extrapolation, April 26 2001
Mac Tonnies (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
Egan's "Quarantine" is an elaborate mind-bender that takes place after the formation of the "Bubble," an impenetrable veil that mysteriously encapsulates the solar system. Against a backdrop of subdued hysteria and infinitely useful neural modification, "Quarantine" focuses on the inexplicable disappearance of a mental patient and the mind-stretching lengths a private detective goes to find her...and whatever's left of his own identity after the death of his wife. What he finds proves to be one of the most intriguing plot devices in science fiction, handled with the same sensibility on display in "Distress." Egan's deeply human treatment of futuristic ideas (artificial personalities, quantum matter manipulation) makes "Quarantine" a topical, innovative read as gripping as Greg Bear's "Blood Music" or Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama." Greg Egan is a contemporary master of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sense of wonder SF at its finest, Dec 6 2000
Thomas Seay (Alpharetta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
Some people have criticized Quarantine for its lack of characterization. Frankly, if you're looking for that kind of book, you're in the wrong place. Don't get me wrong: I love a good character-oriented book--but Quarantine is much more about drowning the reader in a profound sense of wonder.
Be forewarned, this is not light reading material: Egan demands full intellectual participation from his reader, and a reader without a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and the many-worlds theory might not enjoy Quarantine as thoroughly as someone with that background. But if you're willing to put in the effort, this is a richly rewarding book to read.
(One more warning: I strongly suggest that you not read the description on the back of this book. Not only does it spoil the plot, but it is also very misleading and it ruins a great deal of the story's suspense.)

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was great!!!, Sept. 5 2000
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
I found Quarantine to be an excellent read. I read it four times and enjoyed it every time I read it. After reading this book I spent over a year reading about quantum physics. If you like this book, check out John Gribbin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply horrible, Aug. 2 2000
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
The premise of this book was exciting: a bubble suddenly surrounds the solar system, blocking out the stars. Is it aliens, a black hole, God ? After the first couple of interesting chapters, the book changes directions and becomes a dreadful technomystery. The are consortiums and convoluted plans within plans. I stopped reading about half way through because I couldn't stand it anymore. I did thumb to the back to see what the cause of the bubble was and it was explained in one short throw-away paragraph.
The writing here is simply terrible. It is of the quality you would expect from a high school writing fair honorable mention.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient Ending, Feb. 24 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Quarantine (Mass Market Paperback)
I felt that this was a good book to read, but at times it tried my patience. Parts of the book that seem crucial at the beginning are never followed up on and that is kind of dissapointing. The story could flow a little more evenly as well. The ending leaves much to be desired, but the concepts and ideas that are presented make you wonder. I think it is a good read, just be patient through the boring parts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3fa4e7c)

Quarantine
Quarantine by Greg Egan (Paperback)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01