5.0 out of 5 stars Minimal is a Good Thing
Published on April 22 2004 by Nicole Harpe

2.0 out of 5 stars He is famous for his short stories, and rightly so
Published on Dec 24 2001 by Sai Li

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimal is a Good Thing, April 22 2004
Those who have stated that Carver was a minimalist seem to feel minimalism is a negative. Minimalism is a form of expression, but it reflects merely the form, not the content. These are not minimal poems. The impact comes from straight language in simple grammatical structure. It is amazing how Carver is able to convey intense emotions with such a few number of words. He is a master. After I read FEAR, I was astounded (and somewhat disturbed) at how accurately he tells the depth of fear in such mundane events and short descriptions.
I am one of those who likes Carver's short stories as well as his poetry. He definitely has a masculine voice in all his work, but there is universality in the feelings. What I find more interesting than the "masculine" aspect of his writing (Hemingway was masculine too!) is his ability to write about city life and then go back to his roots in Oregon. Most writers have one of those locations in their souls. He has both and seems at home in both.
Well, I like Raymond Carver. Could you tell? This is writing that never sought out a thesaurus and still gives more shades of interpretation than Roget ever considered.

5.0 out of 5 stars songs by carver, Jan. 15 2003
A. Dan "simoril" (israel) - See all my reviews
somone i know once said that some people love carver's stories and other likes his poetry, and that you can't equely love both. i'm deffently one of those who are more of a fan of his poems then of his stories.
reading his poems is like readingg one of his stories after it's been refined into prefection, is such a minimalist language, he manages to kick you right in your soft belly. unlike other poets, he used everyday language and describe in his poems events rather then emotions. which for me, makes them far more emotional. some of those poems just lift my spirit up and reminds me that there's some beauty in the hardship of life.
i gave this book 5 stars because i enjoy raimond carver's poetry and because i wanted one volume with all his poem at a resnable price, but i have to say that the production of the book's far from perfect, too transparent pages, every poem doesn't get it's own page (i know i'm being petty, but that' the way reading poetry should be...) and the type and over all look aren't as inviting as they should be. but i seppose you get what you are willing to pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars songs by carver, Jan. 15 2003
A. Dan "simoril" (israel) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars BELOVED ON THE EARTH., Feb. 5 2001
MOVIE MAVEN (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Raymond Carver is one of the finest American writers of short stories and, during his short liftime, (he died at age 50) was acclaimed for this talent. Critics seemed to create the term "minimalist" and label Carver with it---which I believe caused him a disservice. What are readers who do not know his body of work to make of this word: "minimalism?" Labels, in any field, never quite take the measure of the man. What, indeed, is a "compassionate conservative?" Does this label mean that an old-fashioned conservative automatically has no compassion? Does it mean that a "liberal" is automatically compassionate? And where do these labels take and leave us? For readers unfamiliar with Carver's work, does "minimalist" mean that he stints on imagery? on emotion? on plot? If you have never read Carver, you owe it to yourself to find out what all the shouting was/is about. In his stories and here, in this book of collected poems (some of which are published for the first time), he takes everyday life and makes it resonate with great feeling and extraordinary beauty---be the subject married love, nature, fatherhood, fishing or his quickly approaching death by cancer. I find one of the the final, very short poems in this book, "Late Fragment" almost unbearably moving. In it he tells us what he wanted in life: "To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth." Very Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover Raymond Carver., Dec 30 1999
Rene (Connecticut USA) - See all my reviews
Most people will discover Raymond Carver from one of his short stories. The short stories have been called examples of "minimalism" and have been compared to Hemingway and Chekov. These descriptions are true enough. The stories are short and easy to read in one sitting. They instantly transport you to a completely real place where authentic events of minimal action and monumental drama and feeling take place. Here you meet fictional characters who might resemble Raymond Carver if you know a little of his life story.
When you read his poetry, and this is the definitive collection, you meet Raymond Carver in person. I enjoy his poetry as poetry. However, that is not what drew me to this work because I don't generally read poetry. Rather, through these poems I meet the man, Raymond Carver. I understand that my attraction to his stories was to be not in the presence of the characters and their situation, but rather to be in the presence of a master storyteller. In the poems, Carver takes us into his life as if we were his companion and shares his personal stories. The poems create similar feelings to those evoked in the stories. Sadly, Raymond Carver has died. However, something of him lives on in these poems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Collection., Aug. 3 2001
By A Customer
This book continually draws me back. While it's a collection of poetry it doesn't push you away or bore the hell out of you. They don't try to be confusing riddles from the writers own ego. These poems are something else altogether. I haven't quite figured out what yet, but there is an honesty and a unique obeservation that make them irresistable. I believe that anyone from any background could find at least one poem in this body of work that truly speaks of their own experience in a way that hits the target directly. They're accesible and personal especially the later poems where Carver talks about his own impending mortality ("What the Doctor Said" is one that does this quite well). Every time I go through the pages something new comes up from the poems. A great collection from a gifted writer. Packaged together very nicely as well and Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars conversational masterpieces, Dec 1 2002
R. Rockwell (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Although he will always be remembered for his unsurpassed short stories, Raymond Carver is an equally great poet. Many themes appear and reappear in the course of his autobiographic poetry: fishing, his wife and his love for everything in the world, his conquering of his aloholism. Carver's poetry is easy to understand, as in his srories Carver has the knack of chosing the most precise words and of creating totally full characters in just a few words.Carver's main power as a poet is to make even the simplest things in life into epic journeys of a soul who has made his peace with the world. Just like the poetry, the introduction by Tess Harper broght tears to my eyes. If there is a heaven, I am sure Raymond Carver is there, fishing. He is the most human and for me one of the most remarkable of modern writers. Thanks for enriching my life!

2.0 out of 5 stars He is famous for his short stories, and rightly so, Dec 24 2001
I'm criticizing Carver with the utmost deference, because I hold the man in the highest regard and strive to write like him. I can't say enough good things about his short stories (My favorite is A Small, Good Thing), which manage to say so much with so few pages. His poems, however, are not as good as his short stories. They lack the continuity of his stories, as well as the practiced craft of more experienced poets. The line changes seem awkward, and there is not a consistent theme in each sub-collection. These poems are not meant to be read by poetry afficionados, but by precocious teenagers who need a little encouragement to start writing for themselves. Carver's stories should be required reading for any human being, but if you like to read poems about the same themes, check out Carl Dennis or Tony Hoagland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, July 20 1999
By A Customer
I first encountered Carver as a poet in Czeslaw Milosz' anthology "A Book of Luminous Things," and indeed -- as I was truly shocked to find out, having given his short-stories a lukewarm shrug in the past -- indeed his poems were luminous things. As intertwined as the things in Theodore Roethke's root-cellar, here are confession and illumination, memory and desire, mortality and denial, suffering and childishness, salmon and trout a-plenty, and an immersion in the facts of each moment and the finitude of each day that continues to leave me awed each time I stumble across one I haven't already read. They're all here, along with a generous army of appendices. Fill a bowl, add milk and fresh raspberries, dig in...

5.0 out of 5 stars A collection of the most applicable poetry of our time., Oct. 31 1999
By A Customer
Raymond Carver uses beautifully descriptive passages in attempts for us to see the ways that he did. His poetry and short stories are powerful and rewarding. I have never read such a fascinating collection of poetry before and honestly do not think I ever will. I believe Carver works, among others, have the capability of bringing about poetic and expressive adaptations in those who have not discovered the necessity for literature. People will marvel at Carver's writings always, given an honest chance, including those who have shown a lack of interest in reading and writing.

All of Us the Collected Poems
All of Us the Collected Poems by Raymond Carver (Paperback - Jan. 5 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 16.27