5.0 out of 5 stars For the last time, this is a must-have!
Published on Aug. 9 2001 by Vincent S. Yeung

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, but Still Use
Published on Aug. 11 2001 by Jonathan

4.0 out of 5 stars Great PHP book..., Oct. 17 2003
Nishank Khanna "nicholas_wanostran" (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
I was looking for a PHP book that wasn't just a reprint of the manual (like most of them are). This book is great for newbies and expirienced programmers alike. This is the book that'll be on your desk 24 a day -- since you'll keep refering back to it.
Should be on every serious PHP developer's book shelf. The only thing I didn't like about the book was that the chapter on PHP and XML didn't provide as much details as I was hoping for. But since I got it really cheap using a coupon from UnderTag.com, I can't really complain.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book needed an editor., July 17 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
The book would explain PHP well if there weren't so many grammatical errors. The first few chapters were well worth reading, but about halfway through, stilted sentences and the incorrect use of "which" and "that" put me off the treatise entirely. I know that books of this ilk must be written hurriedly so the technology described in the book doesn't get a chance to change substantially before the book goes to market, but this is ridiculous. If I were shopping for a PHP book, I'd look seriously at some others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Book for a real world programming, Feb. 9 2002
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
This book might be worthwhile as a classroom workbook where you go through each and every chapter in order. As a book for somebody who wants to get things done this book is terrible. You have to wade through entire chapters to find what you want and the index is useless.
For my real world projects I have never found what I wanted to know in this book. You are better off just looking at online documentation.
It is also out of date and lacks coverage of sessions (there is a newer edition of the book that might include this but I am not going to buy it).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but needs updating to PHP4, Dec 4 2001
Kevin Carlson (Everett, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
I bought "Beginning PHP4" first, expecting to learn more later from "Professional PHP". Unfortunately, the "Professional" book was written in 1999 and mostly covers PHP3; the first half of this book is introductory material similar to that covered in "Beginning". The "Beginning" book was written in 2000, and covers PHP4. Therefore, the two books don't confer a chronological sense of "Part 1" and "Part 2", as I had anticipated.
In my opinion, if you have one of these two Wrox books, you won't need the other. Since "Beginning PHP4" is newer, get that one for an excellent introduction to the subject, then get "PHP Black Book" or another advanced book to continue your studies.
By the way, I hope that "extremeperl" gives more thought to book ratings in the future. He gave this book a 1 star rating because he thought that PHP was a poorly written language, and preferred Perl. Since the authors had no hand in creating the PHP language, it's extremely unfair to criticize PHP by giving poor ratings to this book ...

4.0 out of 5 stars IS the BOOK, Sept. 25 2001
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
I'have the book. A lot of more books from Wrox are in my hands. This is a very good on PHP. Examples, bits of code explained step by step, huge amount of info, lack of some other (in programming NONE was perfect and complete). Good point to start serious programming with DB (MySQL or other ones). 4 stars only because God is not a programming writer, not Schumann and the others in this are, and I cannot put a 4 and half stars....
If you dont know HTML, learn first. Then, read this book. I repeat, READ IT! Like a novel, not as reference one. Every page contains valuable information, only have your eyes wide open to catch it! Put it beside your bed or your WC!
Results: a large Internet project, an ecommerce site, a tutorials online site, a.... well, you know what I mean. With this book, I'm mastering PHP with no fears!
BUY IT NOW!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrox is the best BUT, Sept. 19 2001
N. Holloman "kahrytan" (Leeward, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
The authors in this book explained PHP very well as with any WROX author.
You will need HTML knowledge before reading this book but no other programming experience needed. Takes you from, basic php page to advance options and mysql connectivity.
BUT ...
php IS a poorly done programming language. I reccommend Learning Perl with Beginning Perl or Professional Perl. ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, but Still Use, Aug. 11 2001
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
As someone that reads computer books, you have probably read a *lot* of disappointing ones while holding onto an ideal the Perfect Computer Book. Unfortunately, this book would more likely be classified as the former. It is quite bloated, including even a section on HTML in the back. This is more of a reference than a tutorial, although falls shorts to being an ideal reference. It does, however, include quite a bit of information and can often be helpful. I periodically find myself looking up stuff on this book while doing PHP programming.
If this was the only PHP book on the market, you wouldn't be bad off with this book. However, there has to be better books out there, so I would recommend that your search for a PHP programming book does not stop with this book.
As for other options, I consider _PHP Essentials_ by Julie C. Meloni an extremely good book, except that it lacks information with templates, which I consider a major flaw. Although I still like using books for PHP programming, PHP's website, php.net, is a very essential resource while programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the last time, this is a must-have!, Aug. 9 2001
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
... Anyways, I bought this book because I urgently wanted to learn PHP and use it with mysql for a web site, and it was great. You learn the syntax of PHP, and then there are a variety of tutorials on the different capabilties of PHP, including database and image editing (this is actually really cool). Then at the end there are 4 sample full-blown programs that are explained and available for download at the book's website (as well as all the source code throughout the book). These include a web forum script, a send mail script, etc.
As great as this book is, I wouldn't recommend it to someone with no programming experience though since the explanations are very concise and thus brief. But anyways, one should not learn PHP as a first language as it is very limited to web uses unlike other scripting languages such as Python.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice introduction but not very useful as a reference, Aug. 4 2001
"leini" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
This book gives a nice overview of PHP and a few very useful real-world examples in the last chapter. The problem is, however, that once you start writing PHP code you need to look up certain functions and you won't find them all in the book (Perl style regular expression functions, for example)...Therefore, although it serves as a good introduction into the subject, there are other - less expensive - books out there for this purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insight, many holes, July 24 2001
James A. Russell (Orem, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional PHP Programming (Paperback)
I bought this book to supplement a graduate class in which we were researching a solution for an online automobile insurance application. We compared C++, PERL, ASP, JSP, and PHP.
If you have programmed with another language, I would recommend this book. The syntax of loops, ifs, and case statements was covered. The object-oriented model of PHP was also expained. The book covered the two subjects I was primarily concerned with: databases and LDAP. These subjects are treated with vague explanations and some examples. I thought the examples were a bit skimpy and hard to follow. Some people have recommended using the online documentation. I would recommend buying this book to get a good foundation of PHP. Then, buy the PHP developer's cookbook to find solutions to problems you encounter. The online documentation is good as a reference manual. This book is good for some reference, but mostly to read from beginning to end in order to uncover the power of PHP. Once you understand the principles behind PHP, you can scour the web and the "Cookbook" for specific code for the solution you have devised within the limitations of PHP.

Professional PHP Programming
Professional PHP Programming by Deepak T. Veliath (Paperback - Dec 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.70