5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for new comers
The book is a great book for new comers to the C# language and to the .NET platform itself as well. It is kind of scattered about, not very much flow to it. Overall the I would highly recommend it to any one wanting to learn to language.
Published on July 10 2003 by gk919

2.0 out of 5 stars Hodgepodge put together by too many authors
Wrox was slammed by the user groups for these books with ten authors. They've gotten smarter: now they only put one photograph on the cover. But that misses the point; the book is still more a collection of essays by different writers than a book.
Published on July 25 2002 by brianj55

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Hodgepodge put together by too many authors, July 25 2002
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
There are parts of this book that are fairly good, but overall it does not cover the material coherently, and it is 25-50% bigger than it should be for the material covered.
There are better choices elsewhere. I just posted a review for the O'Reilly book, which I think is a much better choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
This book is fine,, though I won't say its a great book..
the really good C# book I found was Inside C#,
some chapters stand out but in some places this bok just loses flow.
The best book for C# is C#:Primer Plus.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many cooks spoil the food ., July 14 2003
Hi,
There's a lot of mixed reviews about this book . The table contents promises to give a lot of information which it does but not efficiently . I am C++ programmer ,the intial chapters are easy to understand since they are basic oops that I already know .. and the intial chapters on windows and asp was good I felt becoz I had worked on my own before I went thro this . After that it was tooo much of information not written well .In the sense you just keep reading without undestanding half of it becoz the author's expect you to know all the concepts and they confuse what you know by puttting it in words that are so confusing . The flow of thought if missing ...
ralph.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for new comers, July 10 2003
"gk919" (Evansville, IN USA) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars All Over the Place, May 10 2003
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I have to agree with the previous reviewers who say this book is not up to Wrox standards. This book is "all over the place", meaning there's little cohesion between chapters. This is probably because of all of the authors involved. It makes reading it very confusing.
Here's a specific example. When discussing struct's vs. classes, the book starts talking about how memory allocation is different for each, and they referred to an earlier discussion of memory. I didn't recall them discussing memory earlier in the book, so I looked it up in the index. They had given it a sentence or two - obviously written by another author, and not intended to provide the depth later assumed.
Unfortunately, I have purchased 3 C# books, and they're all weak. This, though, is the weakest. I gave "C# Bible" 2 stars as well, but I actually think that's a better book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I see the reviews are mixed, but I like it so far, May 6 2003
Paul Doland (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
Perhaps I'm writing this prematurely, as I'm not even close to being done with the book. But so far, I've found it to be a good book. I at first got a copy of _Learning C#_, and that was useless, aimed at a first time programmer. So I returned it and got this one.
This book has a lot of useful topics. If some of the later ones aren't that great, oh well, I'll still be happy.
I notice that some readers complain about typos. Usually, that doesn't bother me much--if the explanation is clear, spotting and ignoring typos isn't too hard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned: Wrox has been sold!, May 2 2003
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
This book does have good information if you are new to C# but do not expect to get the examples off the web as the book promises. The website is not providing the promised downloads and only collecting email addresses for future notification.
The book has worked well for me as a .NET reference guide but I wouldn't have bought this volume if I had known about the lack of promised support.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes Errors and Wasted Time, April 21 2003
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
This book has nothing to do with professional!
I spend hours to get rid of the "bugs" this book put into my programs. A lot of mistakes throughout the whole book.
And also the topics are only scratching the surface and one is not really learning something (new).
There are a lot of C# books out there - don't buy this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book on C#, March 20 2003
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
This is the worst book on C#. Lots of mistakes in the programs and the text. Also, there is a huge amount of overlap between all the different author's chapters, none of whom seem to really know anything beyond the most simple aspects of C#.
Buy a different book.

4.0 out of 5 stars TRULY PROFESSIONAL, March 14 2003
reviewer (Zurich, Switzerland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional C# 2nd Edition (Paperback)
This edition of "Professional C#" did live upto my expectation. The book is truly professional. It not only looked into the affairs of C#, but went ahead with complementary analyses of both .NET Framework and interoperability.
Apart from providing comprehensible details on the core C# subject, another strong point of this book lies in its problem solving approach.
Simon Robinson and his co-authors paid attention to the art of diagnosis and remedy. Almost all the code recipes for programming problems were laid out. Thus, by heeding these recipe explanations, C# programmers (or developers) would be in better position to judge accurately, and deliver efficient output.
Also worth noting, is how this book detailed the vital roles components like XML, ASP.NET, and ADO.NET play in C# programming. Every aspect of this book highlighted quality and practicality. However, anybody who is new to C# programming may be frustrated by its advanced approach to issues. Hence, I must state that this book was designed for advanced programmers. Beginners and intermediate learners should act wisely, and look for something with a mild outlook.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Professional C# 2nd Edition
Professional C# 2nd Edition by Morgan Skinner (Paperback - March 1 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.78