4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stories, Incomplete Analysis
Published on Aug. 13 2009 by Coach C

3.0 out of 5 stars Entewrtaining but unconvincing
As an anthropologist who has lived and done research in rural Mexico and as a moderate runner, I agree with other reviewers that this book is entertaining and very well-written. It has all of the elements of much earlier travelogues -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good is that it is an interesting narrative brought to life through a series of interesting...
Published on Aug. 25 2011 by don Goyo

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stories, Incomplete Analysis, Aug. 13 2009
Coach C (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Without doubt, "Born to Run" is a book that will entertain you, teach you a thing or two that you didn't know before, and get you thinking about joining the next marathon near you. The book is divided into two parts: one part narrative on ultra-runners, the Tarahumara people, and the incredible long distance race you've never heard of; the second part is an anthropological and scientific analysis of human evolution.

There is no doubting McDougall's writing, he knows a good story when he sees one. The stories about Barefoot Ted, Jenn and Billy, descriptions of the Copper Canyon in Mexico, are all highly engaging. However, McDougall's exploration of the scientific part is incomplete at best. For every study and report that shows that barefoot running is better for you and that persistence hunting was the reason for modern human development, there are peer-reviewed academic studies and reports by scientists that refute the claims made in the book, none of which McDougall includes.

Overall, I found this a very interesting and quick read and I gather most readers will as well. My only caution is to take McDougall's claims with a grain of salt and to seek more complete information if the topic so interests you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read then run, April 26 2012
I'm glad this book was recommended to me. There was a thrill and feeling of personal adventure that went along with reading about the feats of endurance undertaken with the ultra-distance races described. It made me want to run and although I think that I'll always plod along at short distances the book is an inspiration at keeping me out there pounding the pavement. Dream along with other readers and runners as the author delves deep into the mystique and history of distance running. Learn about shoes, injuries, and the personalities behind some of the greatest races ever performed. Even if you are not a runner you will probably find the book interesting and a page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where do I learn the stride?, June 11 2009
Warren Saari "Omegaman" (Kelowna, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I heard the author of this book being interviewed on CBC radio and was so intrigued by what he was saying about proper stride and foot techniques vs. the new technology in current running shoe offerings, his studying the of the art by the masters in Mexico etc., that I had to order the book in, even though I am not a long distance runner.

The book was fantastic! Not only could I not stop reading it, I couldn't stop talking about it with friends, family and co-workers. I can't wait to study the stride now and get out running, because I now understand that I was Born to Run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opened My Eyes to Barefooting and To Switch from Vibrams to Nothing., Dec 10 2013
This review is from: Born to Run (Kindle Edition)
This was a fun read and got me really interested in the subject of barefooting which caused me to buy 2 other books. I now run barefoot and even walk around barefoot as much as possible now.

Way better posture and no more pain. I love running now like a game instead of a chore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quick read, Nov. 18 2013
Born to run is a good easy read. I certainly got sucked in to it and read it in 2 days. I was mildly disappointed with the pause towards the end of the book just before the final race, some of these chapters could have been earlier in the book I felt. I know some ultra runners and I think the author captured their eccentricity quite well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot recommend this book enough, I just read it again., Oct. 12 2013
For anyone that has 'wanted to want to run' this book is for you. I tried running off and on for years and injured myself almost every time out (shin splints mostly, with an impact fracture of my right leg that ended my experiments ten years ago). This book rekindled my desire to try again, with new data about what I was doing wrong (chunky running shoes, landing on my heels) and why. I've been going strong for months and I owe it all to this book.

Written in a very engaging style, Born to Run is a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting theory on evolution of mankind, June 28 2013
Greg Aasen (Vancouver, Caada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Born to Run (Kindle Edition)
The story was fun to read and the theory of how we evolved to be runners was very interesting. Got me motivated to get out running more as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Inspiration ever!, May 9 2013
This book sat on my bookshelf for about six months. I run 30+ miles per week and am very busy. I was recently sidelined by surgery, so I finally got around to reading it. Without hesitating for a second, I tell you that this book has inspired me like never before. It was an easy and thoughtful read, but it left me knowing that I was truly born to run, and run forever, but even more importantly, it made me want to be a better person!!! Way to go Chris!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting book, Feb. 4 2013
Lots of good stuff in this one! I would reccommend it to all of my friends and have too !

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational book, Jan. 17 2013
P. Tonge (Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is a great read for anybody interested in sports or general physical activity. To read how people can run for over 10 hours in bare feet is incredible. Well worth buying as a present. I have passed this book round to family and friends and they all enjoy it.

Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Ever Seen
Used & New from: CDN$ 5.97