march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage scflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on August 13, 2009
Without doubt, "Born to Run" is a book that will entertain you, teach you a thing or two that you didn't know before, and get you thinking about joining the next marathon near you. The book is divided into two parts: one part narrative on ultra-runners, the Tarahumara people, and the incredible long distance race you've never heard of; the second part is an anthropological and scientific analysis of human evolution.

There is no doubting McDougall's writing, he knows a good story when he sees one. The stories about Barefoot Ted, Jenn and Billy, descriptions of the Copper Canyon in Mexico, are all highly engaging. However, McDougall's exploration of the scientific part is incomplete at best. For every study and report that shows that barefoot running is better for you and that persistence hunting was the reason for modern human development, there are peer-reviewed academic studies and reports by scientists that refute the claims made in the book, none of which McDougall includes.

Overall, I found this a very interesting and quick read and I gather most readers will as well. My only caution is to take McDougall's claims with a grain of salt and to seek more complete information if the topic so interests you.
on November 18, 2013
Born to run is a good easy read. I certainly got sucked in to it and read it in 2 days. I was mildly disappointed with the pause towards the end of the book just before the final race, some of these chapters could have been earlier in the book I felt. I know some ultra runners and I think the author captured their eccentricity quite well.
on January 17, 2013
This book is a great read for anybody interested in sports or general physical activity. To read how people can run for over 10 hours in bare feet is incredible. Well worth buying as a present. I have passed this book round to family and friends and they all enjoy it.
on January 5, 2014
I enjoyed the races, learning about the barefoot runners of Mexico, and how to run properly. Fascinating! I gave it to my sister-in-law for Christmas... she is the only person I know that runs.
on November 15, 2011
This is a great read. If you love running you will spend the entire read alternating between nodding, smiling and wanting to go for a long trek. If you don't love running, you will still love this book and will probably think about going for a slow run afterwards.
I am taking a star off only because I found it romanticizing the poverty of the Taramuhara but in the end it is not a political book, it is a tale of running.
I really recommend this book to anyone who loves a good yarn mixed with anecdotal inspiration, scientific journalism and some great characters.
on April 15, 2015
Like a race, you don't get into it to start; you're in it to finish. Same with Born to Run... Once you start it, you'll want to go right to the end!
on May 26, 2011
I am not a runner. In fact every time I try running I am seized with back pain that can last days. However, I found this book fascinating, from the evolution of the running shoe, to the lonely tribe in Mexico that runs for days just for fun. If you are an athlete, this is a must read.
on November 1, 2009
very entertaining story with some fascinating insights into our "running roots" . Very appealing to runners and non runners alike.
on April 12, 2015
Interesting book
on September 23, 2012
I had no expectations about this book but since several people recommended it it decided to read it. And luckily I did! I'm a barely new runner, not even 2 years running, and I like running more and more. I've read the book in one sitting, it was enthralling and very motivating.