countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 13, 2016
This is my third copy of this book - friends keep asking to borrow it and then don't return it. I'm not going to lend this one out!

This is an amazing book with so many lessons to learn. I actually have the four agreements printed out and posted above my desk (as do many of my coworkers now) because they really are simple rules to life - a simple perspective to live by.

1. Be impeccable with your word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don’t take anything personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don’t make assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always do your best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

In this book, Don Miguel Ruiz reveals the source of self-limiting beliefs that rob us of joy and create needless suffering. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, the Four Agreements offer a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness, and love.

It's a short, captivating read. Very thought-provoking. The agreements apply to everyone, everywhere, regardless of religion, gender, age, etc. The stories, anecdotes and examples from various beliefs are intertwined throughout, spotlighting their common bottom lines: love, life and peace.
on March 27, 2016
I love, love, love this book. I probably read through it once a year every year and I have the audio book. It is the kind of basic truths that everyone's mom told them growing up, but that you have to hear from this guy to get. Like, really to get why someone else's words shouldn't cut so deeply. If you are reading this review BUY THE BOOK you wont regret it !
on January 30, 2004
THE FOUR AGREEMENTS (see also Section 11) by don Miguel
Ruiz is a short yet powerful book that contains useful advice
about how to recognize self-limiting beliefs that rob us of joy and
create needless suffering . . . based on ancient Toltec wisdom, the
agreements seem to be so basic to apply--but in reality they
are much more difficult to implement.
Nevertheless, I still find myself thinking about them and how
to relate what they say to my daily life . . . should you want
to join me in the task, consider how you can:
BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the
word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power
of your word in the direction of truth and love.
DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a
projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are
immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the
victim of endless suffering.
DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really
want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid
misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one
agreement, you can completely transform your life.
ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST
Your best is going to change from moment to moment, it will be different
when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance,
simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse
and regret.
Also, I very much liked this one other passage:
Making assumptions in our relationships is really asking for problems.
Often we make the assumption that our partners know what we
think and that we don't have to say what we want. We assume they
are going to do what we want, because they know us so well. If
they don't do what we assume they should do, we feel so hurt and
say, "You should have known."
on December 5, 2014
I've read this book before and felt I needed to 'refresh' my memory, in terms of the spiritual lessons this book offers. I was also curious to see what new interpretations I might have after so many years; as I continue to evolve spiritually. It's a beautiful spiritual text, with many wonderful insights and tips for everyday living. Enjoy!
on May 8, 2016
If there was one book I could insist that EVERYONE on this planet could read as their "bible" it would be this book! 4 very simply, yet incredibly challenging "rules"/agreements to live by. The book really helps you relate to and understand them. I've purchased over a dozen copies and gave them to my closest friends and family!
on June 12, 2016
Four simple agreements that can change your life. I saw myself in each one of them and can now chart a course to true happiness and freedom from fear. This book is for all of humanity and our suffering. We don't have to suffer, we choose to. We can also choose happiness. That's my choice, thanks to the power of these messages which have given me courage to transform my life.
on January 1, 2014
The Four Agreements is a lesson in life. I love the wisdom and anyone would be able to comprehend what the messages are. I am actually reading it to see if my grandniece would be able to understand it. She is 11 and I am going to read it with her.
on March 13, 2013
If you need a push to get back on track in your spiritual growth this book will do it. It is simply written without a lot of jargon and the need to impress with vocabulary yet it still manages to pack a powerful message between its beautifully designed covers. Even if you can manage to master one of these four agreements it will have been worth it. Imagine being able to always speak your truth not in a hurtful or egotistic manner but rather to simply say what it is that you want and need for your own wellbeing so that your communication and motives are clear to those with whom you are or seek to be in relationship. If we can master this one thing as individuals then maybe one day when we form a political party or head up a corporation we may be inclined to transmit the same values to our colleagues and then who knows what might happen!
on July 9, 2004
I enjoyed the book, but it was very repetitive and a little simplistic. Lots nifty ideas with a few interesting metaphors and insights... The book doesn't provide many revelations (if any). It mostly serves to re-enforce what we already know is right and true. We've all heard a million versions of the ideas delivered in this book. Stuff like:
"Say what you mean. Mean what you say"
"Assuming makes an ASS out of U and ME"
You get the idea... Read this book as a reminder. Read it to gain an alternate perspective. I would recommend it to anyone who is on a path to self-discovery. Remedial or not, the toltec perspective referenced in this book is a valuable one...
One thing I've noticed about most of the negative reviews. They all seem a little bit angry. Perhaps too angry to be receptive to a book with such a positive spin...
on January 26, 2016
I found the book to be way too matter of fact, and the author uses way to many metaphors, with very little actual explanation of how to achieve the desired "freedom" that these "four agreements" will reportedly lead to. As an example, in "The Initiation of the Dead: Embracing the Angel of Death" the author suggests we need to "prepare ourselves for the initiation of the dead, to take death itself as our teacher" but it is a total of 4 pages long.....and most of it is spent telling "stories". Considering some cultures dedicate their entire lives to embracing death, the four pages that are spent here seem a tad lacking. I think I expected much more out of the book due to the high ratings. The concept & the "agreements" themselves are definitely something to strive for, but don't expect much out of the book itself.