Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Tools

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on July 25, 2003
I don't know why it took so long for me to discover this little "fits-in-your-coat-pocket" book.
During our first trips to Manhattan, we used all those "other" fold-out maps and guides and BOOKS, even the old-fashioned "gas-station" variety maps that unfurled like huge posters that blow away while walking between tall buildings. Carrying those, you might as well walk around with a huge sign on your back that says, "tourist who's lost, please take advantage of me."
Well, we've made about six trips to Manhattan since 9/11 alone, and this book (recently updated, hence retiring the other we used) has joined us every time.
It has more than just landmarks. It identifies nearly every building, hotel and best of all, street numbers, north to south, east to west. This is really handy when you have an address but you have no idea where so-and-so block number is (and I'm too old to use those so-called "easy formulas" locals use to figure out where the numbers start and end depending upon the intersection you stand).
Moreover, the subway maps are great. Not just weekday routes, but weekend and holidays are here too. Again, it's so much better to have a fits-in-your-hands booklet like this than even that huge subway map the MTA dishes out for free. Even outbound trains taking you outside Manhattan and into the boroughs are featured.
I guess my only quibble for us visitors is how to grab a subway and train combo to get to other side of the Hudson, you know, like to Liberty State Park in New Jersey?
Routes to the other NYC boroughs are well and good (someday it would be great to have a map of the main streets in Queens, the Bronx and especially Brooklyn included, but please don't make the book much thicker; who wants to carry an almanac?; leave that for Frommmer's and Fodor).
But it'd be nice to find a map book that doesn't feel like the world stops and ends in Manhattan. This Tauranac still serves its purpose though, and if you're ever on the island, it's near impossible to get lost. Highly recommended to visitors (and to locals) alike!
on June 23, 2003
I have the Streetwise guides, I have Flash Maps, I have the five-burrough atlases, I have Not for Tourists, all of which are good in different ways. But Manhattan Block by Block is by far my favorite. Are you looking for an address on one of the Avenues and want to know more than what three-block area it might be in? Are you going south of Houston Street and have no idea what the street addresses do down there? Do you want to set out for your destination with absolute confidence that you know precisely where you're going? And do you want something that fits neatly in your purse or your pocket that you can read at a glance? This is the guide for you. While I'd never get rid of my other maps, this is the atlas of my heart.
on April 24, 2002
Tauranac's terrifically readable and portable Manhattan atlas is now updated to reflect everything that's happened since 9/11 and then some. It's worth buying just for the transportation info alone, although the amount of useful information packed into this completely user-friendly book will astound you. The maps are models of clarity and the index is amazingly comprehensive. BUT . . . what have they done to the cover! I vote for the prior version.