5.0 out of 5 stars Is the Love You're Giving What Your Child Is Receiving?
Chapman, with co-writer Ross Campbell, M.D., have written The Five Love Languages Of Children, which applies the love language theory to children. How can you tell your child's main love language? Chapman offers these suggestions:
1. Observe how your child expresses love to you.
Chapman and Campbell: Watch your child; he may well be speaking his own language...
Published on Oct. 7 2003 by Janet Boyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good child-rearing material
After his wonderful book,The Five Love Languages Dr. Chapman wrote this book with children in mind. With this book parents can learn how to express to their children how much they love them in a way that the children will understand. Overall, it is a pretty good book, an easy read, and with some good lessons.
Published on Aug. 16 2000 by A. J. Valasek

5.0 out of 5 stars ModerGoose's review, April 26 2002
Theresa Stephenson "This n That" (Clarion, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book. I really learned alot from reading this book. I learned to be more observant to how I show love to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds another dimension to communicating effectively, July 25 2001
This outstanding book addresses how each child (adults as well) expresses and receives love best through one of five primary "languages" - quality time, words of affirmation, gifts, acts of service, or physical touch. Although children need to be spoken to in each of these love languages, there's one love language that meets their deepest emotional needs and should be used often with them (and authors caution how you use that language for discipline). The information in this book complements books that address communicating with children based on their temperament (such as "Raising your Spirited Child" and "Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka). I also appreciate that the author included an informative chapter on "love languages in marriage", instead of just a one-liner encouraging readers to buy his book dedicated to that subject.
Bottom line - Even if you've read tons of parenting books, you will truly learn something new from this one - something to enhance your relationship with your child and adults in your life. You'll probably even learn something about yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miracle balm for your family life, July 11 2001
In his previous book "The Five Love Languages," best-selling author Gary Chapman contends that there are five major methods of love-giving ("love languages"), and each person responds differently to each type. Each person also "speaks" a primary love language, and responds strongly to one of the types of love-giving. Chapman identifies these love languages as: physical touch, gifts, quality time, acts of service, and words of affirmation. In order to best make someone feel loved, you must "speak" their primary love language to them.
In this book, Chapman is teamed up with best-selling author Ross Campbell, who has written some very successful books on relationships with children. The premise of this book is that the love languages are not only applicable to the adults in your life, but to your children as well, and can in fact have a major effect on their behavior and happiness.
The book begins with a general discussion of love languages, some stories illustrating the dramatic difference that utilizing the knowledge of love languages has made in some parents' relationships with their children, and an overview of the book. Chapman and Campbell then discuss each love language in a chapter of its own, complete with real-life examples of each love language in the lives of parents and children.
The book then launches into a discussion of discipline (do NOT use a form of discipline related to your child's love language, warn the authors), as well as a brief discussion of the effect that the love language theory can have on your adult relationships (for a more in-depth discussion, see Chapman's "The Five Love Languages"). There is also quite a long discussion of "passive agressiveness" which I thought to be a bit overkill, but I'm sure is very important in the treatment of the topic (I have a feeling that this is co-author Ross Campbell's pet subject).
The information in this book is very powerful and has the potential to radically alter your relationships with your children, as well as anyone else in your life. The testamonials are very convincing, and the fact that this book, as well as others in the "Love Languages" series have enjoyed such wild success is a testimony to their effectiveness. My only complaint really was that some of the writing occasionally tended toward the cheesy side, and that often I was aware of the differences in the voices of the two authors. These are unimportant complaints, however, and do not deter me from recommending the book highly!
This book would be useful reading for any parent, no matter the quality of relationships within the family, as well as anyone else who is dealing with children on a regular basis (teachers, grandparents, babysitters, etc.).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good concepts..., July 7 2001
Kim "Truth Seeker" (Alpharetta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Overall good book. Repetitive style somewhat difficult to get through in spots. The "love language" concepts and how to apply them make sense and plenty of examples are given; unfortunately, the examples don't always translate well from one "language" to another. I also didn't like the "Anger and Love" chapter: the "Anger Ladder" was as clear as mud and seemed to be simply a pitch for the co-author's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Book, Feb. 6 2001
This wonderful book as transformed my realtionship with my son. Reading this book made me realize that I have spent most of my time loving my child in the wrong way. It was very hurtful to me that my 5 year old son and I didn't have that mother-son bond that I longed for, and that I knew he was missing it too. Once I learned how to love him using his very own love language our relationship improved on every level, and for every day that goes by it improves in new ways. Thanks to the The Five Love Languages I now know what to do and what not to do to make him feel truly loved.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good child-rearing material, Aug. 16 2000
A. J. Valasek (Clemmons, NC United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary Parenting Advice!, March 15 2000
By A Customer
This book has revolutionised the way I communicate with, and discipline my children. Within the space of three days my three year old has gone from being difficult for me to deal with to being a pleasant child who responds to discipline in a positive manner. Our home has become more of a haven than a battlefield! Learning to communicate with my children in their primary love language has been the BEST thing that has happened to my parenting, and to their self esteem. I would highly recommend this book to any parent of young children. I will certainly be re-reading it through the years of their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent review for the audio version of this book, Aug. 5 1999
By A Customer
Listening to the audio version of this excellent book is a great use of your time while driving to work. The five love languages concepts and how to apply them in raising and loving your children and even improving your marriage are eye-opening and thought-provoking. I believe I will listen to this tape again and again over the years as I raise my young daughter. I highly recommend the audio version for all young, busy families!

5.0 out of 5 stars very insightfull, Jan. 5 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Five Love Languages of Children (Audio Cassette)
Excellent book and opens your eyes not only to what you can do for your childeren, but what your parents did/didn't do for you. Very simple ideas and easy to read. A book to go back to many times over the course of your child's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope for rekindling love between parent and child., May 4 1998
I am an LPC with specialization in play therapy. I work with wounded families daily. I have just completed reading this text and believe it to be exceptionaly valuable in helping parents build and rebuild damaged parent/child relationships. I am purchasing multiple copies to provide to my families. This book will help them in many ways that I am unable to due to time constraints. My only concern is that the text is more directed to a middle/upper class population. Some suggestions of activities require money (i.e. "take a child out to breakfast" - some of my families are lucky if they have breakfast.) that most of my families do not have. Over all, I believe that, if taken seriously, families who make an effort to follow its message, will heal wounds that will affect generations of their family to come.

ARRAY(0xaf21eea0)

The Five Love Languages of Children
The Five Love Languages of Children by Ross Campbell M.D. (Audio Cassette - Aug. 1 1997)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 16.05
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available