5.0 out of 5 stars A much more accessible "7 Habits"!!!
This book takes the concepts outlined in "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" to a much more accessible level.
While the original "7 Habits" were lauded for their content, at times they were criticized for the generally business oriented approach chosen.
Published on April 20 2003 by Roland Grefer

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
I'll show you seven habits..
Published on April 2 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A much more accessible "7 Habits"!!!, April 20 2003
Roland Grefer (Tampa Bay Area, Florida) - See all my reviews
"The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" renders these principles much more accessible and provides easy to follow advice that can be applied in day to day life.
Subsequently, by applying the principles presented in "The 7 Habits", they will become just that - Habits! As habits they are exercised/applied without thinking about them anymore, therefore eliminating the need to constantly focus on them.
The experience is somewhat similar to learning to drive a car. Initially a lot of attention to operating the car is required, because it is such an unfamiliar process. After a while, however, driving the car becomes a matter of habit, mostly executed on a sub-conscious level, while the attention can be focused almost solely on the traffic and environment.
For anyone not familiar with either one of the "7 Habits" books, I recommend to start out with this one, and then - if necessary, or desired - to read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" at a later point of time for the primary purpose of its more business oriented approach.
In order to be able to focus on business, it is worthwhile to already have ones house in order; therefore the family should come first - including the family's "7 Habits".
For a multi-sensory approach, I suggest to also listen to the corresponding book on CD. This will trigger different areas of the brain and therefore lead to a faster learning curve.
Reading by its very approach has to happen on the conscious level, while listening can happen in situation where the primary focus is on something else, i.e. stop-and-go traffic. Dr. Covey's soothing voice in such scenarios will manage to engage the listener on a subconscious level, driving the message home even more effectively.

4.0 out of 5 stars has lots of good ideas, July 17 1999
Blaine Greenfield "eclectic reader" (Belle Meade, NJ) - See all my reviews
heard the taped version of stephen covey's the 7 habits of highly effective families . . . this was good, though not quite in the league of covery's most famous book, the 7 habits of highly effective people (put this latter one in your MUST READ category) . . . in highly effective families, covey relates the following habits to everyday family situations: 1. Be Proactive 2. Begin with the End in Mind 3. Put First Things First 4. Think "Win-Win" 5. Seek First to Understand . . . Then to be Understood 6. Synergize 7. Sharpen the Saw
i liked the countless examples that were used, along wtih the author's commonsense approach . . . one section, in particular, caught my attention . . . covey notes: The Emotional Bank Accountrepresents the quality of the relationship ou have with others. It's like a finanical bank account in that you can make "deposits," by proactively doing things that build trust in the relationship, or you can make "withdrawals," by reactively doing things that decrease the level of trust. And at any given time the balance of trust in the account determines how well you can communicate and solve porblems with another person.
he then proceeds to list some specific ideas--some "deposits" you can make in your own family--that may be helpful; e.g.: Being Kind, Apologizing, Being Loyal to Those Not Present, Making and Keeping Promises, and Forgiving.

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN create more peace and cooperation in your family, Jan. 31 2004
By A Customer
Covey encourages every parent to do some soul searching to become aware as to what really is priority in life. Then, he suggests we put "first things first." I believe that most parents would admit that they do wish to have "FAMILY" comes first--above all else. But, in today's busy, often stressful daily routine of life, accomplishing that goal is often "easier said than done". Covey clearly points out the essentials...such as establishing effective communication lines through family meetings and one-on-one talks with the kids. He makes so much sense as he describes with personal anecdotes how love, values, morality, and empathy for others is a process of teaching and learning from "the inside out"...in other words from within the family rippling out to society at large. He talks about establishing a family mission statement and helps to direct moms and dads to find the courage and the skills to make changes for the better. Covey's book creates the mindset and the outline. If you have young kids like me, I recommend a perfect compliment 'how-to book' with Covey's ... called "THE POCKET PARENT." This handy 4" X 8" book, written for parents of 2-5 year olds, is loaded with compassion and humor along with over 500 specific tips and skills to try. It literally trouble-shoots many of the problem behaviors we all deal with daily-such as Angry outbursts, Bedtime, Mealtime and Clean-up refusals, Tantrums, Disrespectful attitude, the "Gimmes", Morning "Crazies", Sibling fights, Whining and many more. These 2 books (one more theoretical, the other more "hands on" practical) have changed our lives. We now have more peace and cooperation in our family---and that gives us more time to enjoy each other. Consider both books for your home reference library.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 7 Habits Work for the Family As Well As the Individual, March 16 1999
By A Customer
Steven Covey defines an effective family as one with a family culture and gives us the 7 steps (or habits) to develop that culture. He uses many ideas from business to apply to the family organization: Develop a family mission statement; Have family meetings; Have one-on-ones; and commit to "we," much as committing to the team. The seven habits do work for the family as well as for the individual and Dr. Covey addresses how to get everyone to on board.
I am reminded of some of the solutions to the "stalls" described in the Mitchell, Coles and Metz book, "The 2,000 Percent Solution". Family traditions may no longer fit, just as The Tradition Stall in business (we have always done it this way) may be holding back progress. The Communications Stall in families (where sometimes there is no communication) is similar to the business problem of not having the message heard or understood even if the sender thinks it is clear. The Unattractiveness Stall in families (how can she wear those clothes or how can he wear his hair like that) is not unlike avoiding to work on reducing the waste because it smells bad. Both books offer processes to reach great solutions. This "& Habits leads the way to happy effective families. The 2,000 Percent Solution leads the way to progress at 20 times the normal rate (20 times a 100% solutions is a 2,000 percent solution) When you read both books, expect a real improvement in your personal, family and business lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for all parents and adult children, Dec 25 1998
By A Customer
I'm a grandfather with six adult children and three grandchildren. Our family life had been very difficult. I had run across Stephen Covey's books and seminars in the business world, but I never connected the principles he teaches with my family life.
Since reading this book, I've found the wisdom and courage to reach out again to my wife and children. I cannot tell you how scary, exciting, and wonderful it is to be part of a real live family. I'm working on contributing within my other families, too - my in-laws, brothers and sisters, and neighbors, too. I have been buying copies and handing them out to anyone who mentions their family, whether in a good or bad light.
This is an excellent guide to anyone who wants to be part of a real family. It doesn't matter whether you are Mom, Dad, Grandparents, or even an adult child. This wonderful book will help find the skills and courage to make your family first in your life and a refuge for all its members against the trials of modern life.
Michael Cain

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is the way to build a loving, nurturing family, March 24 1998
This book presents a series of concepts that allow people to understand how to create a family environment most conducive for growth, understanding, and strong relationships. These concepts are illustrated with many anecdotes and first person accounts.
The concepts presented are excellent. They are easy to understand and give everyone a common vocabulary for communicating their needs and desires.
I can not think of a better book for anyone looking to build a stronger family.

CON:
I will mention a quibble I have with the book. It is not serious and is easily overcome. There is a strong nostalgia myth throughout. Along the lines of "Forty years ago society supported families, but now it erodes them."
Forty years ago many people lived in smaller communities. This did in fact help support families.
But in reality, forty years ago parents were just as threatened by changes in society and their children's behavior as they are today. As a matter of fact, gender roles and expectations may have been more deterimental to strong families than many issues we face today.
This problem is easily overcome for me by understanding that the basic idea behind the presentation of this mythology is that one must help children understand society, and that one must make commitments to the family that may meet with resistance in one's everyday life.
I am sure the this problem will be overcome for most folks by readily accepting the nostalgia myth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A set of tools for building and strengthening families, March 6 2000
In introducing "7 Habits for Highly Effective Families," Covey writes that societal forces have changed, and that we can no longer rely on a family-friendly society to help us with our families. That approach, which he termed the "outside-in" approach was useful in the middle of the 20th century. But at the turn of the century, when societal forces are combining to undermine the family, Covey argues that we need an "inside-out" approach, where we take greater care as parents to create a family culture that encourages goodness, morality and love.
With that premise in mind, Covey applies the 7 Habits to family life. I'm not familiar with the 7 Habits as they are applied to individuals, but as I've tried to apply them in my family I've been impressed by the results. As a husband and father, I feel as if I now have a set of tools to build and strengthen my family, and an understanding of how to use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A set of tools to build and strengthen families, March 6 2000
In introducing "7 Habits for Highly Effective families," Covey writes that societal forces have changed, and that we can no longer rely on a family-friendly society to help us with our families. That approach, which he termed the "outside-in" approach was useful in the middle of the 20th century. But at the turn of the century, when societal forces are combining to undermine the family, Covey argues that we need an "inside-out" approach, where we take greater care as parents to create a family culture that encourages goodness, morality and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is a guide to get you started in the right direction, Jan. 23 1999
dproush@arn.net (Amarillo,TX & Belo Horizonte,MG,Brazil) - See all my reviews
This book is proving to be a saviour in my situation. An American trying to join into a Brazilian family, with two children (girl 6 & boy 11)that don't speak English and me not speaking Portuguese. This book is avaiable in Portuguese and gives the mother and I a way to agree about things across cultural differences and to communicate to the children what we are trying to create in our lives as a family while including the children. The information is powerful and inspiring all you have to do is "DO IT" Read the book through and then go back and start doing. I am sure it will make an amazing difference in your life if you are not lazy and and want a better family life. His other books are great too. I have several on tape and frequently power up my brain by listening while driving or flying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Family Book! A must read!, Dec 17 1999
In reading this book I have been introduced to the most common sense and easily applied principles I have ever read. This is a must read for anyone who strives to create a loving, fun, understanding family environment. The author puts his principles into easy to understand and apply ideas, such as the emotional bank account, creating a family mission statement and talks about the importance of family communication, togetherness along with one on one time. If your family is truly 1st in your life, read this book and begin making it first for everyone in your house. One of the best things about the book is his consistant use of personal stories from his family and other readers which bring it all into focus and provide ways in which you can envision the ideas working in your own family.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

7 Habits of Highly Effective Families
7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Stephen R. Covey (Audio CD - Oct. 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 24.14