countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 28, 2007
Did you always hear 'over head cam' ? or 'Cam Shaft' and not sure what that was ?..

ARe you confused about the difference between buidling 'top' or 'bottom' of the engine ?. do you wonder what spark plugs really do ? or what is 'knocking' ..

Honestly.. this is the end of all this, not only did this book help me understand how my motorcycle work, it also may have started my interest in Motorcycle mechanics.

At the very least, the next time you talk to a motorcycle or even auto mechanic, you won't feel or look like a fool that can be taken advantage too, it may save you money or eventually your life.

I LOVED IT
on April 1, 2004
I've been riding for several years but really don't do much of my own work. I was looking for something that would fill in the gaps. I saw a review of this book in Motorcyclist Magazine and they rated it very highly. I think it's a great book,the technical explanations are clear and concise while the diagrams and photos fill in the gaps. I also liked the way the author "holds your hand" in the do it yourself sections. After reading through it I also have a much better understanding of how my bike works. All in all I'd rate this one as a must have for novice mechanics
on February 15, 2005
I have thoroughly enjoyed every chapter of this book, and have re-read many parts of it as I encounter different projects or maintenance issues. It covers subjects in excellent detail, and is sophisticated enough for the experienced Do-It-Yourselfer. A must for every garage bookshelf.
on March 16, 2008
A lot of information and good tips. Great way to lear the basics of motorcycle repair. A "must have" for begining DIY mechanics.
I especially liked sidebars detailing procedures and giving tips on maintenance or repair.
on July 2, 2004
This book is absolutely awesome! Zimmerman has a nice, easy to read style of writing. His explanations are clear and concise, with great diagrams. Best of all, he doesn't take himself to seriously. He goes to great lengths to make it all seem so easy. I'd recommend this book to anyone that wants to understand how every aspect of a motorcycle works,want's to perform their own manitenance, or at very least wants to understand why the dealer is charging them so much for the repairs. In my opinion this one is top shelf.
on April 2, 2004
This book tells it all. From the first chapter on the basics of the internal combustion engine all the way through the details of brake systems and suspensions. Mr. Zimmerman's knowledge of his field is apparent in the way he presents the infornmation on each topic. Illustrations and diagrams are very inforative and easily understood.
I'm also giving the book to my 14 year old son so he can get a good base of knowledge to work on his own bikes.
Great job!
on July 31, 2010
This book contains lots of good full colour photos of 'realistic' looking bikes. Problem is: it doesn't cover the big jobs - the one's you would really need help with.

It contains a bit of entry-level theory, and a large number of basic do-it-yourself jobs as well as basic trouble shooting.

Generally, the information in this book is readily available on the internet... but it's nice to have nonetheless.

I would highly recommend the Haynes Motorcycle Repair book, as well as the Haynes Motorcycle Theory Techbook for someone who really wants the learn something. They are excellent textbooks that are aimed at a college level student. The two Haynes books go over every system and every bit of maintenance you can think of... and probably some you can't.

This book isn't great, but it might be good for a novice just cutting his/her teeth (and knuckles) in the trade.
on June 16, 2014
this book is an essential for a vintage motorcycle owner, knowing how to wrench your own bike can be as important as knowing how to ride.
on February 22, 2016
A good resource that covers items not discussed in service manuals.
on November 27, 2015