5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read for Beginners..
Did you always hear 'over head cam' ? or 'Cam Shaft' and not sure what that was ?..

ARe you confused about the difference between buidling 'top' or 'bottom' of the engine ?. do you wonder what spark plugs really do ? or what is 'knocking' ..

Published on Sept. 28 2007 by A. Khalifa

3.0 out of 5 stars Essential? Not quite
This book contains lots of good full colour photos of 'realistic' looking bikes. Problem is: it doesn't cover the big jobs - the one's you would really need help with.

It contains a bit of entry-level theory, and a large number of basic do-it-yourself jobs as well as basic trouble shooting.

Generally, the information in this book is readily available...
Published on July 31 2010 by Nighthawk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read for Beginners.., Sept. 28 2007
A. Khalifa (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)

Honestly.. this is the end of all this, not only did this book help me understand how my motorcycle work, it also may have started my interest in Motorcycle mechanics.

At the very least, the next time you talk to a motorcycle or even auto mechanic, you won't feel or look like a fool that can be taken advantage too, it may save you money or eventually your life.

I LOVED IT

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it's great, April 1 2004
Frank Seaman (Brewster NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)
I've been riding for several years but really don't do much of my own work. I was looking for something that would fill in the gaps. I saw a review of this book in Motorcyclist Magazine and they rated it very highly. I think it's a great book,the technical explanations are clear and concise while the diagrams and photos fill in the gaps. I also liked the way the author "holds your hand" in the do it yourself sections. After reading through it I also have a much better understanding of how my bike works. All in all I'd rate this one as a must have for novice mechanics

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of its Kind, Feb. 15 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)
I have thoroughly enjoyed every chapter of this book, and have re-read many parts of it as I encounter different projects or maintenance issues. It covers subjects in excellent detail, and is sophisticated enough for the experienced Do-It-Yourselfer. A must for every garage bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, March 16 2008
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)
A lot of information and good tips. Great way to lear the basics of motorcycle repair. A "must have" for begining DIY mechanics.
I especially liked sidebars detailing procedures and giving tips on maintenance or repair.

5.0 out of 5 stars top shelf, July 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)
This book is absolutely awesome! Zimmerman has a nice, easy to read style of writing. His explanations are clear and concise, with great diagrams. Best of all, he doesn't take himself to seriously. He goes to great lengths to make it all seem so easy. I'd recommend this book to anyone that wants to understand how every aspect of a motorcycle works,want's to perform their own manitenance, or at very least wants to understand why the dealer is charging them so much for the repairs. In my opinion this one is top shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basics to advanced are covered, April 2 2004
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)
This book tells it all. From the first chapter on the basics of the internal combustion engine all the way through the details of brake systems and suspensions. Mr. Zimmerman's knowledge of his field is apparent in the way he presents the infornmation on each topic. Illustrations and diagrams are very inforative and easily understood.
I'm also giving the book to my 14 year old son so he can get a good base of knowledge to work on his own bikes.
Great job!

3.0 out of 5 stars Essential? Not quite, July 31 2010
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)

Generally, the information in this book is readily available on the internet... but it's nice to have nonetheless.

I would highly recommend the Haynes Motorcycle Repair book, as well as the Haynes Motorcycle Theory Techbook for someone who really wants the learn something. They are excellent textbooks that are aimed at a college level student. The two Haynes books go over every system and every bit of maintenance you can think of... and probably some you can't.

This book isn't great, but it might be good for a novice just cutting his/her teeth (and knuckles) in the trade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, June 16 2014
the Bunnyman (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)
this book is an essential for a vintage motorcycle owner, knowing how to wrench your own bike can be as important as knowing how to ride.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, March 9 2004
Robert Holmes (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance (Paperback)
While the author clearly knows what he is talking about he isn't great at making things clear, especially to the total beginner like myself.
Diagrams and pictures are dotted haphazardly around the book, often 2-3 pages before or after the paragraphs they are meant to illustrate. Some terms are used but not explained and there are several mistakes that even the most cursory of proofreads would have uncovered. Especially the 'how to' section on replacing sprockets; when letting you know what tools would be required it said 'all the tools for replacing a chain' plus a few others. Of course the section on replacing the chain was omitted! This isn't as big a problem as it would seem as you can figure out how to do this most basic of maintenance tasks from the 'replacing sprockets' section, but it smacks of carelessness.
On the whole it provided me with lots of useful info and the 'how to' sections are well-illustrated and, for the most part, clear and easily understood. It will provide you with an understanding of how all the sections of your bike work and slot together. However I have read clearer descriptions on the internet of how some of the sections work (namely the engine and gear box) and I'm sure there are other books out there which will be of more benefit to the beginner in that respect. Also it provides you with plenty of general 'how to' sections but again I'm sure that these must be covered in other books, possibly without the use of so much jargon (or at least with explanations for it).
In conclusion I find it useful and I'm unlikely to buy another general maintenance book to replace it, however if I were given the choice again I would choose some other manual.

The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance
The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance by Mark Zimmerman (Paperback - Jan. 30 2004)
CDN$ 33.95 CDN$ 27.16
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available