5.0 out of 5 stars Good book to have...
This is a must have for every inventors, carpenters, electricians, technicians, nurses, doctors or even workers at home, out there!

This 864 pages book covers almost every part of LIFE technical terms, data and is well categorized.

His size makes it an ideal companion in the car, while traveling, while hiking and is a MUST in the BOB (Bail-Out...
Published 14 months ago by Brian R.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's no google buuut...
In a world of smartphones this is probably not really a requirement to have, but I find I often flip it open and glance around at a couple things and think hmm, did not know that, or this may come in handy later.
Published 11 months ago by Patrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Book, Jan. 4 2011
Melanie Simpson (Fort McMurray, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pocket Reference 4th Edition (Paperback)
Excellent book! The only problem was that I ordered the 4th edition and when I recieved it, it was the 3rd edition. No biggie though...I still loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Neat but not actually very useful, Dec 7 2011
This review is from: Pocket Reference 4th Edition (Paperback)
I bought my copy of the Pocket Ref after flipping through a friend's copy and thinking it seemed really useful. After buying my own copy and spending some time going through it though, I have to say I'm disappointed. It does cover an amazing amount of subjects, however I've found that the information given is often just a brief introduction on the subject and leaves out critical points that are not always obvious to someone not already knowing anything on the topic.

For example, the section on selecting a wire gauge seems straightforward enough, but it is not clear if the gauges listed are for single conductors in free air or if they are for household Romex cable. This makes a huge difference, and also is different depending on local electrical codes, but there is no mention of this in the book that I could find. I fear that someone could mistakenly use these values and build something unsafe and/or cause an accident or fire. This makes me nervous to use this book for any topic that I'm not already knowledgeable about, meaning it's basically useless to me.

The Pocket Ref is unfortunately more of a novelty miniature encyclopedia than anything else. I had bought it hoping I could use it in place of a copy of the Machinery's Handbook Machinery's Handbook 28th Edition Toolbox for basic jobs around the shop, but it honestly ended up being a waste of time and money. I ended up buying the Machinery's Handbook (which I highly recommend) and this little guide sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Pocket Reference 4th Edition
Pocket Reference 4th Edition by Thomas J Glover (Paperback - Oct. 19 2010)
CDN$ 13.90 CDN$ 12.96