march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on October 25, 2001
A Hugo? I find it hard to believe.. This was no Ender's Game. I think my expectations were too high for this work.. It was the first Ive read from Lois McMaster Bujold.. Like others have said -- no problem jumping right into the book without prior knowledge or reading the others in the series.. It is typical of a lot of the science fiction television out there, just wasnt expecting it from a book.. Guess I need to read more.. I was a bit spoiled with Orson Scott Card's Masterpiece ' Ender's Game'.
3 stars -- and not one more.
on October 25, 2001
3 stars -- and not one more.
on January 19, 2003
I've enjoyed some of Bujold's other books, and this one had some good moments, but by comparison to "Brothers in Arms" and "A Civil Campaign" it felt rather slight, with more emphasis on the military/space opera side of things than I would like. A below-average Miles Vorkosigan book is still a Miles Vorkosigan book, though, so I can hardly complain too much about it. If you're bent on reading the series in order, or you're a big fan, I would recommend it, but I wouldn't recommend it to a casual Bujold fan.
on July 21, 1997
If you are in an airport with a couple of hours to get through before your flight then this would be a book that you would pick up at the bookstore. The idea behind the book is very good and should be pursued with all vigour...BUT...I found that this book lacks a lot in detail that lets it fall flat. It was entertaining but I would pick up David Weber's Honor Harington series or Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series before this one...Good concept but a let down in character concept
on December 1, 1999
I'm auprised this book won the Hugo. Although a good book, Miles seems rather clueless, and Gregor acts half his age. This could be justified by the charcters' young ages, although the characters really change in the next few years. Like most of the Vorkosigan novels, I recommend reading the Warriors Appremtice first.