1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, doubts about who really has it, Sept. 23 2010
This review is from: More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD (Paperback)
I love the way this book is written. As a good ADDer I have been unable to finish it because I am reading several books at once.

I kind of stop reading it while I try to understand why the author thinks that only people with low grades are the ones that have ADD. I did not think I had ADD until I was tested for it, it made sense to what I was feeling and going through.

I never thought I had it because I always got good marks at school, and some of the symptoms where not there, although I was super hyperactive, impatient and impulsive as a child.

Other authors think that exercise, beeing outdoors, not stressing your self out, etc., will help you with ADD. Well, I guess that is the reason it did not show up as much as a young person. I think the reason I went well in school had to do with either I like the topic very much and I would hyperfocus or I was so afraid of my parents getting mad at me, that was a good motivation.

Now that my lifestyle changed, stopped going outdoors, being a single mom, being responsible of my child, working, and other stressors, all the symptoms arouse. I would get really angry out of nowhere and then I will start crying, or the opposite. I would not be able to keep track of what people would talk, so I would find myself doing something else instead of talking, unless the topic was fascinating. I would purchase things I did not need, as an impulse, and then will return them couple weeks after once I have forgotten why I had got them in the first place.

I was frustrated loosing things and not remembering what I did with them. It took me 2 weeks to find my pencil at work, I do not remember putting it in the drawer, so I did not look there. I would forget my cellphone if my daily routine changed, I would take a shower, grab the phone (I have to see it to remember to take it) and wake up my daughter, if it happened that she would be awake, I would forget to go to my night stand to grab it... I would go to one room just to forget what I was going to do there. I would interrupt people, it was hard to have friends, keep my desk clean, and do routine kind of things... I would give up if things would not go my way and would never finish things, even though 15 minutes it was what I needed to finish.

I do believe that ADD explains very much how I am, and yes, I have a high IQ. It gets me mad thinking that the author thinks I am not an ADDer just because of it... I did hyperfocus and I did find science and nature fascinating... the problems started when I was not interested in the topic...

Anyways, I hope to finish reading the book, and find other techniques to improve. I found I did lots of things bymyself thoughout these years trying to be normal and all them helped me, but they were also hard to do, adapt and to keep doing them.

More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD by Ari Tuckman PsyD MBA (Paperback - April 1 2009)
CDN$ 27.95 CDN$ 17.52