5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever, March 10 2004
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
Being Peace is a beautiful book that will open your eyes and your heart. Nhat Hanh was an important leader for the Peace movement, and through this collection of essays it is easy to see why. He takes the reader through basic concepts of mindfulness practice, and then relates practice to the way one lives in the world. His concept of InterBeing helped me to see the connectedness in the the world, in a way that applies to my own life and way of living. The book also shares very concrete suggestions for using meditation and awareness to improve life in the modern world. Mindfulness is portrayed as not just a way to relieve stress or feel better, but also to affect change in the crazy world we now live in. If we could all read this book and try to live its lessons, what an amazing world this could be!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reading for beginners in Buddhism, July 3 2004
Christopher Brown (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
I was looking for Buddhist writings that were down to earth and relevant to modern Western lifestyle. Being Peace and Touching Peace are just that. They are simple, approachable, and meaningful. I was instantly able to apply what I learned and my practice is better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, Dec 30 2003
Swing King (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
Of all of Thich Nhat Hanh's works, I would say personally this stands out as my favorite. It is relitively short, meaning you can probably read it within a few hours. I especially like his chapter "Working for Peace", where he brings up his often used poem, "Please Call Me By My True Names." He explains how he, along with others at Plum Village, often take upon the task of helping refugees attempting escape from oppresive governments. The work at times becomes very tedious, many of the letters the will receive in Plum Village are heartwrenching, stories of murder or young girls being raped. Thich explains how it often becomes challenging to see both sides in a conflict, when it seems so evident there may have only been one victim.
Yet this is where meditation comes in, allowing yourself to truly try to understand where the perpetrator of the crime may have come from. In his poem he basically says he is both the frog and fly, or cat and mouse. In a nutshell, he shows us the middle path. Where good and bad do certainly exist, but also how no true resolution can spring forth without an attempt to understand all sides involved in a conflict. I must say I don't agree that violence can always be avoided, that sometimes a person must be stopped because they are harming other people continuosly; not to mention they are not filtering their own bad karma they create. It is with compassion that we must resolve these terrifying issues with. Love for perpetrator and everyone else in this world. Othwerwise we fan the flames of revenge and hate. Hate never once begot hate, only love begets hate. The Buddha Shakyamuni stressed that in Ancient times. It seems that Thich Nhat Hanh has rekindled the Buddha within to write this magnificent work.
Enjoy the book:)

5.0 out of 5 stars A force of calm envelops, Oct. 15 2003
Amazon Customer (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
A collection of essays, based in some part (perhaps completely) on speeches made in the United States, Thich Nhat Hahn's *Being Peace* serves as a guide to meditation; a glimpse into how Buddhism can help attain world peace; a collection of poems and allegories on Buddhism that are easily understood by Westerners, yet not overly-simplified; and a portrait of a man whose sense of calm is so powerful it has the inevitable effect of bringing peace to the reader. *Being Peace* is neither a practical guide to meditation - with precise explainations on how to sit, koans to recite during sitting, etc. - nor a theoretical justification of Buddhism, a la Alan Watts; instead, it is a book that gives real-life, meaningful reasons to meditate: both to bring peace to yourself, and to the world (which are, in fact, one and the same).
The concepts are not new - in fact they are thousands of years old. What is new is the sense of attainability that *Being Peace* brings to the art of meditation, particularly for those of us who live in not-so-meditative environments.
The volume is slim and easily read in one sitting, but it might serve you better to take time with each concept.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provokes insipriation in any one's heart, Oct. 7 2003
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
This book contains a conglomeration of eloquent lectures that will truly stimulate emotion in the heart of the reader. Thich Nhat Hanh has never ceased to amaze and inspire me through his teachings. I completely back up the statement that Thich Nhat Hanh is a true representation of the Buddha.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buddhism for Beginners, Aug. 6 2003
Chococat "chococat69" (Santa Cruz, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
I was raised a Buddhist, but discovered from this book that I know more about Buddhism than I thought I did. I love the simplicity of the teachings in this book. I brought this book to Moab, Utah and found it the perfect book to read and reflect upon in that setting. This book made me think more about being a better person, a better Buddhist, and more peaceful. I've since given this book as gifts to two other people since the lectures don't just apply to Buddhists, but are universal to humans attempting to live in peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, July 22 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
this was a great book. if i was stressed out about something, all i had to do was read a few pages and it was calming. it's hard to describe, but this book gives you a good way to escape anger at anyone/anything. it was just great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A paragraph for every moment in your life, May 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Being Peace (Hardcover)
Thich Nhat Hanh has a gift. Even for non-Buddhists like myself. He is able to explain simply the way a Buddhist teacher/monk like himself deals with the ups and downs of life, often with a gentle beguiling humor, and he illustrates his advice with stories told in the most simplistic terms. The warm smile on his face is present across all its pages and this little book has a gentle way of telling you a lesson for every moment in your life.
One sad afternoon, I took the book outside with me to sit and read by the side of our family pet during the last afternoon of his life. I was extremely angry at the injustice of watching our wonderful young pet's life being cut short. He was dying that day and we couldn't save him. It was hard for me to contain that anger. I opened Hanh's book at random, to allow fate to put in front of me whatever it willed for that moment. To my amazement I found myself reading a paragraph on Hanh explaining how to control anger, how to care for it and how to make it constructive rather than destructive for the environment around you. His simple language flowed right to the heart of my moment. Our dog was not benefiting from my hidden anger - he needed me to give him peace in those last couple of hours. Once again I had learnt something precious to that moment of reading from this sweet, gentle monk's writings ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO BE HAPPY!, Nov. 30 2002
Sean Hoade (Las Vegas, Nevada USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
Please read this satisfying, beautiful book. It is all it's cracked up to be, which is a deep breath of cool air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thich Nhat Hanh's "Being Peace" Is Peaceful Indeed, July 23 2002
This review is from: Being Peace (Paperback)
This book is indeed a legend in the Buddhist community. This was the 3rd book I read of Thich Nhat Hanh and I was very moved. The book is wonderful, you learn how to breathe away anger and develop mindfulness. You learn how kindness changes your heart and your mind at the same time. I recommend this book to anyone and I suggest reading it many times. You WILL be transformed from this book.

Being Peace
Being Peace by Thich Nhat Hanh (Paperback - Sept. 20 2005)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36