5.0 out of 5 stars Best Overall LSAT Book
I've reviewed the large majority of the retail LSAT books and this book, overall, is clearly superior to others. The book suggests that you spend at least six weeks studying for the LSAT. A good suggestion, but consider this an absolute minimum. A better plan is two to six months in advance.
Methods
The book provides the basics of logic, which may prove...
Published on June 13 2003 by preprank

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great.
Published on July 15 2004 by EricH

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Overall LSAT Book, June 13 2003
Methods
The book provides the basics of logic, which may prove beneficial for those unfamiliar with logic. Master the LSAT is quite thorough in its methods and explanations for the Analytical and Logical Reasoning sections, which is where most students have difficulties. Curiously, however, the book is somewhat weak on preparing students for the Reading Comprehension section, and quite poor in prepping students for the Writing Assessment. Those concerned with those two sections would do well to avoid this book.
User Friendliness
Simple and straightforward. Simple terminology. Specifically designed for those who will only do self-study, and does not include extraneous information such as advertisements for live classes. The accompanying software is decent, but because the LSAT is paper-based, I suggest skipping the software and working on former LSAT exams.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me get a great LAST Score (164), July 11 2004
After reading the reviews for LSAT prep guides on Amazon I decided to this one. I used it as my ONLY study guide; however, I did make sure to go through the book thoroughly. I did all the exercises in every section and this left me very well prepared for the exam.
The book did a great job of pointing out some of the common mistakes that LSAT takers make as well as giving you tips and tricks for every section on the LSAT.
I've read that other books do a better job preparing you for the Games section but I found this book easy to follow and in depth in that respect. All of the game types are covered. Let me issue this warning to potential LSAT takers...ignore game types at your own risk, they are all subtley different with their own intricacies. I skipped one of the game types in the book and guess what showed up on the LSAT!
Good Luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great., July 15 2004
EricH (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book serves as a starting point. It is not a start all and end all book. Use it as an intro book, then move onto the Powerscore set of books, namely the logic games bible and the games setup book. After that, get all the prep tests ever released and practice, practice, practice!! You also might want to check out the Kaplan 180 book, it gives good practice on hard LR questions, but ignore the Games and RC sections of the LSAT 180 book. In conclusion, this book is very basic and should not be used alone if you are planning to score high, let's say above 165.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Studying Materials, Feb. 23 2004
You should definitely include this book within your preparation studies. I would have to say that much of the contents inside of this book is laregly responsible for the increase in my LSAT score (granted I am not a good test taker). The other books that I would/would not HIGHLY recommend is as follows:
HOT:
1)Nova's LSAT, Master the LSAT
2)The PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Bible
3)10 More Actual Official LSAT Preptests
NOT:
1)Kaplan test prep books
2)Princeton Reviews test prep books
3)Teaching Solutions CD software <- Look out for this company, cause someone has to inform the BBB.

2.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, Feb. 11 2004
By A Customer
I am not sure about the effectiveness of this book... I realize the points the authors made about how to approach the problems, what to consider and what not to consider, etc. are true. But my point is there simply isn't enough time in the real test to "think" like the book suggests you do. I get so bogged down trying to analyze the questions that I don't have time to finish the exam.
Instead, I found that working on practice exams one after another the most effective method. In retrospect, the book wasn't a help to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sample questions are stolen from the LSAT prep tests at the back of the book, Sept. 5 2011
This review is from: Master the LSAT (Paperback)
I actually liked this book until I finished studying it and decided to write the three LSAT prep tests in the back of the book. Half the questions were used by the author as examples in the earlier chapters of the book! So of course I scored well on the prep tests, since I recognized half of the questions and remembered the answers. The author copied them verbatim. So I had to buy a separate book of LSAT prep tests so that I can write an actual practice test that I haven't seen before.

Then, after I finished the the book I decided to run the CD on my Mac to try more practice exercises, and the CD only works with Mac Classic! Mac OS 10 has been around for over ten years. Current versions of Mac OS don't support the Classic environment anymore. Get with the program, Nova!!!! How can they even be allowed to sell something that 99% of Mac owners aren't able to use?

So I decided to try the online website that the book promotes. Every single question on the website is directly from the book. How does that help me? I already did all the questions from the book. You lose, Nova.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but..., July 3 2004
By A Customer
This book is probably all you really need to "study" from... but make sure you do a lot of practice tests under TIMED conditions. What the book lacks that a course might offer is some insight into the process of actually taking the real test- I was easily scoring in my target range but when the test day came I scored lower than in my very first practice test before I did any preparation- simply because of nerves and having a watch rather than a timer in the test room with me. Some insight into the test day, the lengthy administration, the fact that they call '5 minutes left' (which for some reason freaked me out every time) would help calm nerves which can really be what mastering the LSAT is all about- mastering your nerves.

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT-BAD CD, July 1 2004
nora (LAWRENCE,KS) - See all my reviews
This was and still is a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT. The CD didn't work, the questions do not at all reflect the real type of LSAT questions, and the publisher refused to refund my money.
You decide if you want to spend your money on a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT !!
THE CD DOES NOT WORK !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable, but this is just the beginning, June 25 2004
M. Dougherty (Central Illinois) - See all my reviews
This book is marginally effective in its efforts. It's a good introduction to what you'll find on the LSAT, but it's certainly not a consummate preparation tool.
Pros:
1. Fair introduction to logic, good explanation of logical fallacies that can be found in Logic Reasoning questions.
2. Some decent practice problems, but many of them are made up by Jeff Kolby and don't represent actual LSAT questions (because they're not).
Cons:
1. The Games Section explanation is, in my opinion, uneffective. Its desultory effort to communicate methods to take on the games falls short--so short that I would skip this section of the book altogether and buy PowerScore's "Logic Games Bible."
2. As mentioned above, many questions are made up by Kolby, and therefore are not an efficient use of your LSAT preparation time. ONLY use real LSAT questions to prepare for test day. Would you let someone make up directions for a long roadtrip and use them, or would you rather have the real thing?
The bottom line: If you can get a used copy of this book off amazon or half.com for around $10, then I'd buy it, otherwise buy PowerScore's Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible (PowerScore.com); practice with LSAC's "10 Actual" "10 more Actual" "Next 10 Actual." Don't forget to breath.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't what I thought it would be, Feb. 13 2004
I honestly bought this book thinking it would be a good book to study by. I read the reviews and was convinced that they were correct. I've finished the games section of the book and am half way through the logic part of the book and there are errors all over the place! Some of the questions come from actual LSAT exams, these questions are fine, but the vast majority are not from old LSAT exams, they are written by the author and they are VERY poorly written. I've already emailed the publisher about five mistakes I've found, needless to say I have yet to hear back. Some of the ideas on how to solve the questions are worthwhile, but just skip doing the practice questions unless it states they are from the LSAT exam, otherwise you are wasting your time.

Master the LSAT
Master the LSAT by Jeff Kolby (Paperback - April 1 2005)
CDN$ 53.61 CDN$ 32.92