5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me get a great LAST Score (164)
After reading the reviews for LSAT prep guides on Amazon I decided to this one. I used it as my ONLY study guide; however, I did make sure to go through the book thoroughly. I did all the exercises in every section and this left me very well prepared for the exam.
Published on July 11 2004 by FutureFarmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great.
Published on July 15 2004 by EricH

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me get a great LAST Score (164), July 11 2004
The book did a great job of pointing out some of the common mistakes that LSAT takers make as well as giving you tips and tricks for every section on the LSAT.
I've read that other books do a better job preparing you for the Games section but I found this book easy to follow and in depth in that respect. All of the game types are covered. Let me issue this warning to potential LSAT takers...ignore game types at your own risk, they are all subtley different with their own intricacies. I skipped one of the game types in the book and guess what showed up on the LSAT!
Good Luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Studying Materials, Feb. 23 2004
You should definitely include this book within your preparation studies. I would have to say that much of the contents inside of this book is laregly responsible for the increase in my LSAT score (granted I am not a good test taker). The other books that I would/would not HIGHLY recommend is as follows:
HOT:
1)Nova's LSAT, Master the LSAT
2)The PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Bible
3)10 More Actual Official LSAT Preptests
NOT:
1)Kaplan test prep books
2)Princeton Reviews test prep books
3)Teaching Solutions CD software <- Look out for this company, cause someone has to inform the BBB.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great., July 15 2004
EricH (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book serves as a starting point. It is not a start all and end all book. Use it as an intro book, then move onto the Powerscore set of books, namely the logic games bible and the games setup book. After that, get all the prep tests ever released and practice, practice, practice!! You also might want to check out the Kaplan 180 book, it gives good practice on hard LR questions, but ignore the Games and RC sections of the LSAT 180 book. In conclusion, this book is very basic and should not be used alone if you are planning to score high, let's say above 165.

2.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, Feb. 11 2004
By A Customer
I am not sure about the effectiveness of this book... I realize the points the authors made about how to approach the problems, what to consider and what not to consider, etc. are true. But my point is there simply isn't enough time in the real test to "think" like the book suggests you do. I get so bogged down trying to analyze the questions that I don't have time to finish the exam.
Instead, I found that working on practice exams one after another the most effective method. In retrospect, the book wasn't a help to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable, but this is just the beginning, June 25 2004
M. Dougherty (Central Illinois) - See all my reviews
This book is marginally effective in its efforts. It's a good introduction to what you'll find on the LSAT, but it's certainly not a consummate preparation tool.
Pros:
1. Fair introduction to logic, good explanation of logical fallacies that can be found in Logic Reasoning questions.
2. Some decent practice problems, but many of them are made up by Jeff Kolby and don't represent actual LSAT questions (because they're not).
Cons:
1. The Games Section explanation is, in my opinion, uneffective. Its desultory effort to communicate methods to take on the games falls short--so short that I would skip this section of the book altogether and buy PowerScore's "Logic Games Bible."
2. As mentioned above, many questions are made up by Kolby, and therefore are not an efficient use of your LSAT preparation time. ONLY use real LSAT questions to prepare for test day. Would you let someone make up directions for a long roadtrip and use them, or would you rather have the real thing?
The bottom line: If you can get a used copy of this book off amazon or half.com for around $10, then I'd buy it, otherwise buy PowerScore's Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible (PowerScore.com); practice with LSAC's "10 Actual" "10 more Actual" "Next 10 Actual." Don't forget to breath.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for a lot of reasons, Dec 8 2003
By A Customer
I picked up this book because I heard it was better than Kaplan's. It's not. A lot of the advice they give is bad, and some of it is downright ridiculous. Ignore the writing sample? Always skip one entire logic game? What are they thinking?! In addition, the edition I have is quite poorly edited. I bought the eBook from Amazon... maybe the hard copy is better. In my edition, chaper 3--the reading comp chapter--was titled "Games"; in one of the games in chapter 1, the seven entities were G, H, L, O, P, S, and U, and one of the answer choices was N. The games also use vague language that the real LSAT questions never use--in the same game mentioned before, one rule was that two entities should be "exactly two spaces apart." This can be interpreted either as there being two available spaces between the entities, or as one entity being two spaces over from the other, with a single entity in between separating them. These are mistakes and ambiguities that no good prep book should have.
Also, they take questions from LSAT PrepTests, which means that if you use this book before taking any real PrepTests, you won't be able to take a lot of those tests under "actual conditions," because you will recognize specific material, therefore falsely affecting your score and your timing. Sure, practicing on "real" material is great, and if you don't plan on taking any PrepTests, seeing the material in this way is fine. However, taking a lot of real LSAT PrepTests is ESSENTIAL to any good course of LSAT preparation, and by using this book, you are seriously hurting your ability to do so.
The book avoids a 1-star rating because it does include an actual PrepTest, and some of its strategies are sound. But for the most part, this book is sloppy and poorly thought out. You'd be better off getting Kaplan's yearly guide and, of course, 10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests. Kaplan gives you a good intro to the material, and some decent, if not great, simulated questions and PrepTests they wrote themselves. Read their strategies, warm up on their problems, then start going after the real PrepTests. Kaplan's LSAT 180 is also very good if you are doing well already and want to break into the 170s.
As for this book, it was a big disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some strengths, some weaknesses, Oct. 27 2003
johari (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
After reading great reviews of this book, I used it to start my LSAT studying. I was happy with the first half of the "Games" section, as it gave me useful tips for diagramming and using symbols. But by the time I reached the end of that section I was thoroughly frustrated, and ended up using other books to finish my studying.
I had two main problems with the book. First, it does not offer complete explanations of every answer choice. For example, if the answer to a question is "B," they might only explain choices A and B, with no explanation of why C, D, and E are wrong. For complicated problems, I often had to spend a lot of additional time trying to figure out for myself why certain answers were wrong. The further into the book I got, the more this seemed to happen, and the more frustrating it became.
Second, many of the questions (especially in the ever-important Games section) were not really reflective of the questions on the actual test. (I would recommend that everyone studying for this test use "Official LSAT Preptests: 10 Actual." Practicing the actual test periodically will give you a much better sense of the real types of questions.) Many types of questions studied in the "Master the LSAT" were actually harder than the ones I encountered on any real LSAT, and left me feeling defeated. The effort I spent getting through these overly difficult sections turned out to be a total waste of time.
In addition, the book uses questions from real LSATs in each practice section...but these are taken directly from the LSATs you can buy for yourself to review (as mentioned above). So every time you work through the practice problems, you run the risk of exposing yourself to a problem you will encounter later when trying to take a timed, full-length test from "Official LSAT Preptests." (To be fair, I do not know whether or not other publishers get their "real" questions this way.) This would be less frustrating if the book's original questions were of the same quality as the Law School Admissions Council's questions, but they were not. After awhile I could tell without looking whether a question was a "real LSAT" question or a "Master the LSAT"-created question. The latter were often poorly worded and confusing, where the real LSAT questions are always polished and unambiguous.
In the end, I did get some valuable information and practice from this book, but had to use it in conjunction with other books. This book did a better job than others of explaining how and why to use different symbols and diagrams. I especially recommend "Official LSAT Preptests," and I also found parts of "Kaplan LSAT 180" helpful. In the week before my test, I found myself at the library scanning a bunch of different books, as each has something to offer but none seems to be perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skip the prep course and get this book, July 24 2003
"carltonfleming" (Durham, NC United States) - See all my reviews
If you are taking the LSAT, then you need to buy this book. Don't bother with a Kaplan course. Instead, get this and some practice tests (10 Real LSATs) and study on your own. The prep courses use their own books that are not nearly as good as this one, and thoughout the book Kolby tells you why. The books for the prep courses want to try and make you feel like you're getting the inside scoop, so they will tell you the "best" way to do things. Usually, these are gimicks that don't work. Kolby, on the other hand, recognizes the fact that people learn and work differently, so he includes various techniques for doing each section. The book is full of practice tests in which he walks you though the answers, which is extremely helpful. This book is also extremely flexible; if your goal is a better-than average score, Kolby shows you techniques for skipping the hardest problems and saving time. Most books stop here, but Kolby goes further and includes techniques for achieving the high scores for which you cannot skip questions. I took the LSAT in June and I was very satisfied with my level of preparation thanks to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars forget the rest, July 1 2003
Forget the other study guides on the market, this one and the released actual LSATs from LSAC are all you need. That's all I needed to score a 163.
The games section is the most helpful, and better than the other guides I looked at before buying. I completed 18 of the 24 questions, with 3 wrong answers. Great advice on getting this highly timed section done, and done correctly.
All you need to know is in the logical reasoning section. Basic logic. The one thing I disagree with, is the book not recommending reading the question stems before the stimulus. But they say doing so may work for you, they just don't recommend it. I found it helpful and time saving to read the stem (and ONLY the stem, not the answer choices!) before the stimulus, because I found myself rereading the stimulus to identify the answer from the choices. If it works for you, read the stem first to know what to look for in the stimulus. Saves time. I finished both logic reasoning sections with 10 minutes to spare.
The reading comprehension section is solid, but it didn't help me much because I'm very strong in this area. Other test takers I talked to said they benefited greatly from the strategies presented.
This book is no nonsense. It tells you what you need to know to answer the questions, and doesn't try to sell you on any gimmicks. There aren't any magic tricks to get you a 180 on the LSAT. This book will give you the strategies and knowledge to work a good test. Best of luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best money can buy, June 14 2003
I took a practice LSAT test (one of the real ones) and received a low 160. I guess it's still above average, but I felt like I was guessing on most of the questions and always running out of time. Since 160 is still a decent score I wasn't sure how well a prep book would help me. I'm used to reading prep books that give you a bunch of common sense verbose paragraphs and you end up wasting your time. (I'm currently studying for GREs and half of Kaplan's 2003 GRE book is worthless).
Having said that, this book is priceless. I'm currently studying the games section, a little each day, and the games are becoming very easy. Usually I get perfect scores on each one. The key to a game is to have a concise diagram, whether it's on paper or in your head. This book teaches you precisely how to do that. Even though I received 15/24 on my games practice section, I feel like I knew absolutely nothing, relatively speaking, compared to what there is to know about the stratagies for the game section.
The book devotes over 150 pages to explaining those strategies, with a huge number of practice problems for each type of a game. After the problems there are always good explanations (not perfect ones, a few were unclear and took some time to decipher). After going through a lot of them, I now get everything right, and the problem becomes time. The book recommends skipping one game section on the test and devote 12 minutes to each one. But to anyone wishing to get a perfect (like me) that's impractical. Which is the reason the whole diagram drawing that the book teaches you is a win/loss situation. I'd say the best way to go would be to learn all the diagrams and then learn how to connect the dots in your head for the test - there's simply no time to draw all those things.
The other sections of the book are equally generous in their information and explanation. Additionally, the language the book uses flows very fluently. I've not been bored studying this book at all, it's actually kind of fun.
The most important thing to realize is how imperative it is to buy this several months before the test. And don't forget to get the LSAC's 10 actual LSAT tests.

Master the LSAT
Master the LSAT by Jeff Kolby (Paperback - April 1 2005)
CDN$ 57.02 CDN$ 32.92