5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for a newbie rider like me.
Published on Nov. 8 2003 by Erik Olson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly concise enough
The topics covered are important, but the author's explanations are needlessly long-winded. He also repeats himself frequently. The essential information could be explained in about 1/5 of the author's ramblings. I had trouble staying awake long enough to get through a chapter. I frankly don't understand why so many people rave about this book.
Published on Oct. 21 2002 by Ronald S. Litz

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for a newbie rider like me., Nov. 8 2003
Erik Olson "Seeker Reviews" (Ridgefield, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (Paperback)
Until recently, I've never had the desire to ride a motorcycle, mainly because I was afraid of becoming an organ donor. However, that suddenly changed a couple of months back, probably due to turning 37 and sitting through a marathon viewing session of "American Chopper" episodes. So, I began to shop around for a bike that would fit me, and at the same time I tapped into all the informational sources I could find about motorcycling (friends, the Web, etc.). "Proficient Motorcycling" was one of the first books I read, and I bought it based on the good reviews I saw on Amazon.com.
It was my desire to arm myself with as much knowledge and hands-on riding skills as possible before swinging a leg over the motorcycle I finally settled upon (a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy). I signed up at a local Harley-Davidson dealer for a "Rider's Edge" class, and "Proficient Motorcycling" was an excellent supplement to the MSF course materials. Indeed, Mr. Hough recommends taking an MSF course, and frankly I can't imagine a novice trying to ride without formal instruction.
The techniques that Mr. Hough advocates in "Proficient Motorcycling" have made me a better AND safer rider. I feel more confident riding my new H-D, and therefore I'm able to enjoy my road-time that much more. I've already started reading the book's sequel "More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride" to build upon what I've learned so far. If you want to be a good motorcyclist (and not a "donor-cyclist"), then by all means dive into "Proficient Motorcycling."

5.0 out of 5 stars street wise, March 17 2014
Basically self tought, motorcyclist for over 50 years, I figured I would make the best of my few riding seasons left by being a bit more street wise. I ordered this book on advice from a riding Buddy and have been reading and reading since it arrived. The best purchase! Well written, entertaining, and most of all very instructive, even to me, a now veteran. A great read in the late winter to sharpen up and put to practice in the spring. Though supposedly a second hand purchase this book looks brand new to me! Highly recommended to all riders, beginners and vétérans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book for all Riders!!, March 22 2013
Lisa Andrews (BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, US) - See all my reviews
Very Informative, and teaches alot about defensive driving techniques! You can use these tips for driving all vehicles, not just motorcycles!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read For The Mature Rider, May 24 2002
Mark C. (Astoria, OR United States) - See all my reviews
As a 45 year old just starting to ride, this book was perfect. Despite the warnings from others, I discovered in this book that motorcycle riding can be safe and enjoyable. The strategies presented are sound and easy to understand. The diagrams are great and the read is simple.
Read this book and stay alive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Manditory Reading, April 6 2002
This book, combined with a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class, is one of the best indroductions to safe motorcycle riding techniques. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book just might SAVE YOUR LIFE, Feb. 12 2001
I bought this book with about 5000 miles of riding experience and it has helped alot. This is a book that every motorcyclist should own. The author also writes a monthly column for "motorcycle consumer news" by the same title. check out this link it is a good example of what the book is about [...] It explains in detail the physics behind what the bike is doing and why. I believe the book has made me a smarter safer rider. It will do the same for you. It also includes actual practice skills for you to improve your riding. great book. In addition take a motorcycle safety foundation riding course, log in to [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Ride A Motorcycle? You need this book., Jan. 2 2003
Frederick C young Jr (Manassas, VA United States) - See all my reviews
With his down-to-earth writing style, Mr. Hough (rhymes with rough) covers a wide range of driving conditions the motorcyclist may encounter and the practical steps to take to survive them. Topics include everything from lane splitting to driving on ice to the seldom thought of high wind gust.
The graphic story at the beginning (a sort of wake up call) reminds the rider that he is very vulnerable when participating in this "sport." The scenarios, with accompanying photos and drawings alert the novice to the dangers of cycling.
For those who have been riding for years, the book serves as a reminder of dangers long forgotten. After reading this book, the long-time rider will look at his or her next ride through different eyes. There will be a sense of empowerment to tackle whatever is encountered.
David discusses bike and rider center of gravity, and how these two are interrelated and change with varying bike loads, turns, and rider positions.
The section on proper braking (always use both brakes) conveys information on the amount of traction available at the wheels under varying conditions.
Traction? Learn about the "contact patch" and how it changes with lean and braking.
Learn how to gain maximum forward visibility maneuvering inside and outside turns by using David's windowing technique.
Mr. Hough's final word of advice? Practice. Practice. Practice what is in the book.
I would have given the book a five star rating, but I found some of the material in this collection of articles redundant. This may be a good thing for the novice, but I was distracted by it. I suggest the publisher eliminate this redundancy in future editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind over Machine, Oct. 30 2003
Before I bought this book I had completed an MSF motrocycling course but the paperwork required to get my license took nearly 3 months. I lacked someone to ride with and was concerned about going out on my own. The book was a gamble on a tool that might refresh what I had previously learned and help me ease out onto the road
The gamble paid off.
This book transfers a state of mind from the author to the reader. It forces you to take safety seriously and to focus on what you are doing when you are on a bike. Beyond the compelling (and sometime humorous) stories, the clearly described techniques for avoiding danger and the excellent graphics, this book teaches you how to think when riding a motorcycle.
The author creates scenarios you might encounter on the road and transports you to those places. He puts you on the bike, he explains what you should be paying attention too and what you should be preparing to do.
Its now been several months since I read the book and got back out on the road. I've put nearly 1000 miles on the bike and will commute to work in good weather. The lessons from the book resonate in my head every time I get on the bike. I have encountered many of the situations covered in the book (railroad tracks, deer, edge traps). Rather than being surprised, confused or panicked by these situations I knew what I was seeing, knew at least some of the options available to me and could plan and react in a cool and controlled fashion.
If your new to riding ( and probably if you ridden for years) this book is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding wealth of motorcycling knowledge, March 26 2004
Michael Green (Balboa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Outstanding wealth of motorcycling knowledge. Teaches you way more than the MSF class (but not a substitute for it). Pretty easy read and entertaining too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for riders of all level skills, Aug. 25 2003
By A Customer
Nothing beats this book when it comes to motorcycle safety. If you are planning on taking your first motorcycle course or lesson, read it prior to getting to class or on the road. I have been riding for 25 years and I this book will remain on the coffee table for awhile (until snow). The latest book from the same author has been ordered. If you want more as far as how to ride fast, Keith Code's twist of the wrist is your answer.

ARRAY(0xbbcb3a88)

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough (Paperback - May 1 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 18.71