Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on January 2, 2003
With his down-to-earth writing style, Mr. Hough (rhymes with rough) covers a wide range of driving conditions the motorcyclist may encounter and the practical steps to take to survive them. Topics include everything from lane splitting to driving on ice to the seldom thought of high wind gust.
The graphic story at the beginning (a sort of wake up call) reminds the rider that he is very vulnerable when participating in this "sport." The scenarios, with accompanying photos and drawings alert the novice to the dangers of cycling.
For those who have been riding for years, the book serves as a reminder of dangers long forgotten. After reading this book, the long-time rider will look at his or her next ride through different eyes. There will be a sense of empowerment to tackle whatever is encountered.
David discusses bike and rider center of gravity, and how these two are interrelated and change with varying bike loads, turns, and rider positions.
The section on proper braking (always use both brakes) conveys information on the amount of traction available at the wheels under varying conditions.
Traction? Learn about the "contact patch" and how it changes with lean and braking.
Learn how to gain maximum forward visibility maneuvering inside and outside turns by using David's windowing technique.
Mr. Hough's final word of advice? Practice. Practice. Practice what is in the book.
I would have given the book a five star rating, but I found some of the material in this collection of articles redundant. This may be a good thing for the novice, but I was distracted by it. I suggest the publisher eliminate this redundancy in future editions.
on March 13, 2001
I have been riding off and on for about 19 years. Decided to to get a new Superbike soon and felt a little reading before taking another MSF course could be a real bonus. This book is filled with practical advice that can really help on the road. The writing is much better than Keith Code's TWOT II and it does not continually insult the readers intelligence with definitions to common words*. (Not saying Keith Code wrote a bad book, Not at all.) Just that alot of the information in this book was easier to understand and the author has given the reader a little vocabulary credit. Codes' books do provide tons of information, it's just that this book was written much better. It is more street oriented than Codes' book as well. Much of the book was basic review but even in review there were some tips and ideas that should prove handy. Well written and recommended, I would especially recommend this book and an MSF class to a novice rider. To top it all off the binding has a quality feel to it as well.
on July 7, 2000
As part of my quest for continuous improvement of my motorcycling skills, I've read most of the books that are available. This is probably the best there is; there are some very good tips, the writing is good, and the layout and graphics are excellent. The narrative on how to corner was worth the price of the book for me.
However, the last half of the book is somewhat repetitive and very basic. All of the motorcycle books I've read seem to be about 60-70% too basic, and this continues the trend. I still have many unanswered questions regarding braking and emergency maneuvering. My quest continues......
on January 12, 2003
Mr. Hough provided the inspiration for the MSF and ERC courses, as well as inspiring technical inmprovement for thousands of riders.
I've been away from motorcycling for about seven years. I have a new BMW 1150r on order, but I can't get into an MSF course until March. This book helped me remember what I learned in prior courses, and should keep me "shiny side up" until I can gain additional training.
I could do without the personification of the characters ("Canyon Clyde", "Downshiftin' Debbie", etc.) but the diagrams are priceless.
on August 25, 2003
Nothing beats this book when it comes to motorcycle safety. If you are planning on taking your first motorcycle course or lesson, read it prior to getting to class or on the road. I have been riding for 25 years and I this book will remain on the coffee table for awhile (until snow). The latest book from the same author has been ordered. If you want more as far as how to ride fast, Keith Code's twist of the wrist is your answer.
on March 2, 2003
this book is a good review of the material I learned at the MSF safety course. I will end up reselling this one because now I have reviewed it I don't need to go back through it. He makes you think and that is important to increase your chances of never laying it down.
on December 21, 2000
If you are concerned about your riding skills,this is one of the best book you can ever find in the market. Get this book and read it. After a month re-read. It will help you to reduce the chances of accident and injury and improve your odds significantly.
on April 18, 2001
This book is the next best thing...if you haven't had the opportunity to experience the MSF Class! And even if you have taken the MSF class...this book is a must read! Excellent!