Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on May 22, 2002
This is an incredibly informative and reader-friendly book about a common debilitating medical condition that goes largely undiagnosed and untreated. ADRENAL FATIGUE: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome is a very empowering work cram-packed with vital information about a condition that very likely affects millions of people. Author Dr. James L. Wilson gives us both the bad news and the good news about this situation. The bad news is how this illness is devastating so many lives, how so many people are being left without hope, and why traditional (allopathic) medicine has failed to recognize or remedy this tragedy. The good news is that this condition can be diagnosed, can be treated, and that there is hope. And Wilson ought to know. With 3 doctorate and two master�s degrees all from different disciplines (including Human Nutrition, Naturopathic Medicine, and Bio/Nutrition), Wilson lectures extensively to physicians and is an internationally acknowledged expert on alternative, holistic approaches to health. Supporting Wilson�s claims about adrenal fatigue are his 25 years of clinical practice and a depth and breadth of research based on over 2400 scientific references. But don�t be daunted by the academic and scientific pedigree of the author; this book is a very easy read�deceptively so for the quality and import of the material.
The book opens with an overview of the function of the adrenals, and how they are prone to chronic fatigue given our hyper-stressed contemporary lifestyles. This is followed by a section on how to tell if you have adrenal fatigue, which includes a questionnaire, several simple at-home diagnostic tests that you can perform yourself, as well as thorough information on the availability (and usefulness) of different laboratory tests. The heart and soul of Wilson�s book (and where you get a sense of this doctor�s caring �bedside manner�) is the lengthy section on the treatment of adrenal dysfunction, �Helping Yourself Back to Health.� This is the good news section. It includes detailed information and sage advice on multiple strategies for treatment, such as lifestyle, food, food allergies and sensitivities, dietary supplements, adrenal cell extracts, and replacement hormones. This section concludes with a suggested daily program for adrenal recovery, advice on what to expect on your road back to adrenal health, a very helpful list of questions and answers, and even a trouble-shooting guide if you discover that you still need help. The final section of the book is the most scientific; it details the functions of the adrenal glands. This section (as well as the entire book) is supported by helpful�and often entertaining�illustrations.

I discovered through answering the book�s questionnaire and performing two of the self-diagnostic tests that I probably do not suffer from this ailment (although I�ll bet that I have numerous friends who do). I do however suffer from migraine headaches, and since much of the book addresses general wellness, I read on with great interest. Most of Dr. Wilson�s information and advice on lifestyle, food, food allergies and sensitivities (for me, especially this one), and dietary supplements, is material we can all benefit from�the infirm and the healthy among us alike. For the millions of people who do suffer from adrenal fatigue, there are several aspects of the book that I imagine will be most welcome. Foremost will surely be the confirmation that yes, there is something identifiably wrong with you, and the clear beacon of hope for recovery that his program projects. Especially for those readers who are afflicted with adrenal fatigue but are not quite ready to give up on traditional western medicine, Wilson presents a very balanced picture of what you can and cannot expect from your physician, and plenty of good advice for how to negotiate the interface between traditional and alternative healthcare. Lastly, Dr. Wilson has created a website,[URL], that offers updated information and advice, including information on the availability of products and services sure to be of help to sufferers from adrenal fatigue.

Comprehensive, yet very friendly; empowering and very hopeful, this book is certain to help a lot of people.
on November 3, 2004
After reading this book through almost twice...a rare thing for me to do, unless the book contains a wealth of useful information applicable to my own life, I believe Dr.Wilson has identified a very real syndrome in our society. More of us need to read this book, & realize that the awful heaviness, the feeling of plodding through quicksand for most of the day, the supreme effort it takes just to keep going short the fatigue we are feeling isn't just "laziness", or "all in our heads". I was also impressed with the fact that Dr. Wilson gives you the names & amounts of supplemental nutrients to try taking, in order to support your adrenal glands. He lets you know that you can also buy them via his website, but he leaves the choice up to you. After having the book for just 2 weeks, [on loan from the local library], I have heard from 5 people who want to know where I got it ,& how they can get a copy, as they realize something is wrong in their exhausted lives. I know of many more who would benefit from it,& I intend to let them know. The small detail of adding more salt to my diet has already made a big difference in how I feel. Thank you Dr. Wilson, for your extensive research into a subject that many are pooh-poohing as not REAL. I'm not crazy, lazy, or depressed...I have adrenal fatigue.
on November 17, 2008
I recently received this book, and simply cannot express how very life-altering it has been. People rating this book '1' may simply not be hypoadrenic. Period. Dr. Wilson is very clear early on that if the reader cannot relate to the book content, they should pass it along to someone who can. I experience 90% of the symptoms throughout the book, so if the diagnosis isn't for you, then the reader should continue looking elsewhere and not base a quality rating of the book on subjective opinion. (Not everyone with red spots has measles.) The advice in this book is sound and clear, and if it relates to the reader's experience, they would do well to heed the diagnosis.

I suspect I have been hydroadrenic since birth (hereditary maybe? or whatever), and after reading this book have realized many occurrences from my hyperactive childhood to my current mid-40s have finally fallen into place. I have suffered chronic exhaustion and lethargy for almost 20 years, along with a host of other symptoms, yet a host of medical tests revealed nothing. I switched to organic foods last year, and while visiting my doctor for something else, mentioned that the organics seemed to give me more energy and that I seemed to be sensitive to chemicals. She asked a few more questions, delightedly agreed with me, and suggested that I had "21st Century Syndrome". I promptly looked it up, found this book, and have now made additional changes to my lifestyle that have significantly improved my quality of life in only these few short weeks.

The book is well-written and very clear. Dr. Wilson does offer supplements on his website (which I have not personally viewed, in fact), but does not even mention his products until well into the book, and exerts no pressure on the reader to purchase anything. The author sets out specific volumes and measures of natural supplements that may be obtained anywhere by any individual for their own combination, but if one chooses to purchase the prepared supplements, they are welcome to do so. The products seem to be offered simply as a convenience, since the focus is on healthy, natural healing.

An excellent read, and well worth the time if it relates to you. In fact, I have also bought additional books to give away.
on January 24, 2011
This book caught my eye because I experienced a significant burnout in the fall of 2009 and I wanted to learn more about the physiological side of it. It addresses a common health issue that modern medicine and doctors don't accept, except in extreme cases. Wilson gives an estimate that up to 80% of adult Americans will suffer with adrenal fatigue in their lifetime, however it is extremely under-diagnosed. Your doc might just say you need more sleep, your too stressed or your depressed.

The adrenal glands are located on top of your kidneys at the bottom of your ribcage. They are considered the 'glands of stress' and allow your body to deal with stress, including physical, emotional, psychological, infectious and environmental. However, when you are under too much stress for too long a period of time, it weakens your adrenal glands. If you have a handful of the following symptoms you might suffer from adrenal fatigue:
o You have difficulty getting out of bed and are still tired
o You don't have energy or enjoyment with life or are mildly depressed
o You aren't as interested in sex
o It takes you a long time to recover from an injury or illness
o You get light headed when you stand up quickly
o You have increased PMS and probably chocolate cravings
o You get worse when you skip meals or you drive yourself with coffee, cola or snacks ' sweet or salty
o Your thoughts are fuzzy or your memory suffering
o You have decreased productivity and ability to handle stress

Wilson's book includes a comprehensive look at how to recover from adrenal fatigue naturally. It requires a lifestyle change not a medication. Nutrition is a big part of the recovery equation. He recommends eating a balanced diet of whole grains, plenty of vegetables, a small amount of fruit, a combination of protein from plants and animals along with appropriate oils and fats (eg. butter, coconut, olive and essential oils). He recommends cutting sugar and white flour products because they are nutritionally void and cause blood sugar to spike and plummet, which aggravates adrenal fatigue. Also avoid the foods you are addicted to (or crave often) and any foods you are allergic or sensitive to. Other elements of recovery that he addresses are exercise, sleep, proper supplementation, coping with stress through reframing and removing 'energy robbers' from your life.

If you think you are way too stressed out (and have been for a while) I highly recommend picking up a copy of 'Adrenal Fatigue.' You can also visit his website at [...] for more information. His book is easy to read and includes a lot of helpful diagrams, a questionnaire and some at-home tests for a self-diagnosis. This book will empower you with the knowledge and tools to improve your adrenal health and get the most out of life.

Karen, [...]
on August 13, 2008
Thank you Dr. Wilson for writing a book that unravels the adrenal issue for we who have suffered for years. I read this book and with each page i saw myself over and over again. Confirmation that I wasn't crazy and valuable information to get me back to good health. Until this book, i was wandering in the desert of conventional medicine and feeling so alone and seeking answers. God bless you for taking the time to research and put all this valuable info into an easy to read book (needs to be easy to read as we with adrenal fatigue deal with debilitating brain fog). It's a great read for those who are tired of anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs, etc. who only put a band-aid on this health problem instead of getting to the root of it.
on March 12, 2002
When I read this book I laughed and I cried because I finally found something that made sense out of how bad I've been feeling for the past few years. I got more practical help and more hope from this book than from all the fruitless visits I've made to various specialists. One thing that was great about Dr. Wilson's book is that it was so clear and easy to read. The illustrations and the anecdotes from his patient files were entertaining and a lot of them touched me personally. This book is like an ideal visit to a trusted doctor who takes the time to help you understand what's wrong, why it happened, how you can get better and how to prevent it happening again. While reading the book I thought of at least a dozen people I know who have symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue. In fact, when I look around, I think just about every adult and teenager would find something useful in this book. It's not just about "dealing" with stress, it's about keeping the stress we all live with from harming us. I hope there are some doctors out there who will read it too.
on December 7, 2011
The chapter on lifestyle alone is worth the price of the book. This author understands very well (something many physicians have not yet grasped) the corrosive effects of stress, and the important link between our health and the environment (physical, mental, emotional), we live in. He notes: "Long periods of bed rest are not feasible for most people, nor are they usually necessary. The kind of rest you need when you have adrenal fatigue comes not so much from lying down, but from standing up for yourself, and from removing or minimizing the harmful stresses in your life." While it contains lots of useful information on diet, supplements, and lifestyle practices, the best thing about the book, in my opinion, is that Wilson puts the power to be healthy in the hands of the reader.
on November 15, 2012
I had not heard much about adrenal fatigue until my anti depressants were not working anymore. Per my GP's direction he had me go see a pharmacist who recommended me to read this book, he recommends it to all his menopausal patients. This book has opened my eyes about hormones and what their purpose is in our bodies, I have learned more from this book and I now have a greater understanding of proper nutrition and really good supplements to get our bodies to work in the best possible way.
on October 4, 2012
Very insightful, lots of useful information and ways to handle the syndrome and get your life back on track. I like how the author includes a diet, and ways to get yourself back to normal, as well as many senarios so people can relate.
on December 21, 2010
Take hold of your health with this revelating book about a condition most doctors know very little about. After 10 years suffering from severe vertigo, this book has given me hope and insight on the changes that must be made in order to return to a healthier life.