4.0 out of 5 stars Simply from the heart, Aug. 3 2001
Jade (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Simple Choice: A Practical Guide for Saving Your Time, Money and Sanity (Paperback)
There are many simplicity books out there written from the perspective of those who were spendthrifts and/or packrats, but who have now seen the light.
Taylor-Hough writes her book from the perspective of a woman for whom simplicity is a way of life and always has been. There is no fluff about how to buy the expensive for less, or how to find self-respect in one’s new lifestyle. The author presents nothing more than the desire to share the joy that is born from living the life of less.
The only hitch that we encountered was that Taylor-Hough choose to include information on how to eliminate debt and work with financial difficulties. We agree that this issue must be overcome to truly appreciate the simple (or any kind of) life, but the subject is so massive that the chapter ends up sounding somewhat trite. We believe Taylor-Hough would have been better served to refer the reader to a book with a more comprehensive approach to the subject, such as Mary Hunt's cheapskate series.
Other than that small point, the book will prove to be one that is examined and re-examined often whether you are just entering the philosophy or whether you have been a practitioner for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Warmly written and great ideas., Oct. 17 2001
By A Customer
Since this book just arrived, it seems somewhat premature to be reviewing it already -- but it has already proven well worth the cost. I absolutely love the gift-giving chapter, filled with incomparable ideas for giving wonderful gifts from the heart that only a Scrooge wouldn't love, but that won't break the bank.
Same with wonderful ideas for holiday traditions, decorations, etc. Although I have not yet had a chance to try them, the recipes for making your own mixes (both practical and suitable for gift-giving), cleansers, etc. seem especially good. I havn't even gotten to the chapters on saving money and cutting costs yet, but am already thrilled with my purchase. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice: A Practical Guide, May 19 2000
By A Customer
This book is an excellent primer for those being introduced to the concepts of simple-living and for those, like myself, who are avid practioners. The book provides a reflective introduction to the concepts of simplicity,interspersed with personal anecdotes from the author, practical tips,and an excellent appendix which provides other sources for more research into the area of simple-living. The inclusion of tips,hints, and recipes makes this an excellent home resource guide. Many of the tips are geared towards families, but any of them can be adapted for those single or child-less households, and do not diminish the value of the concepts presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice, June 24 2000
I would wholeheartedly recommend A Simple Choice to anyone on the road to simplicity. It is definitely a must-read. Taylor-Hough never assumes to tell anyone what "their" simplicity should look like, rather she inspires with creative ideas and her own experience. Her perspective isn't one of preaching but sharing. Reading her book was like having a conversation with a good friend--I didn't want it to end! The book's title is perfect: to be able to choose a simple lifestyle deliberately and purposefully is the definition of contentment and makes for a wonderful life. And it is a wonderful life, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice, Feb. 9 2001
lecgraphx "lecgraphx" (Epping, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I am interested in all aspects of simple living and have read many books on the subject. This was mostly a how-to book and it was loaded with great ideas...particularly good for young families. It was a fast and entertaining book to read and I found myself laughing out load during several parts. Many of us can relate to what she says. Also, I found myself marking many pages and plan on trying out many of her ideas. Don't miss this one if you want to simplify your household "chores"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice..., Oct. 8 2000
By A Customer
After studying the frugal lifestyle for a few years now, I felt that it was time to study the Simple Living or Voluntary Simplicity Lifestyle and that is where Debi's book fit in. It is very informative and she writes it in a style that you can easily visualize. You feel like you have known her as a friend for many years because she has poured so much of her heart and soul into this book. The book left me with a new understanding and a deep appreciation for the simple life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Choice is Simply Excellent, Aug. 22 2000
Dana Younger (Tallahassee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
A Simple Choice is a great book to read whether you are just starting out on the road to simple living or you consider yourself an expert. Debi puts her heart and soul in this book. She doesn't tell you to do this or do that. She tells you "this works for me." I have read almost every book about living the simple life and Debi's is one of the very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply from the heart, May 22 2003
I really liked the book, written straight fromn the heart. Though it's relatively not so thick but 'it got a little bit of everything'. The appendix cited a number of recommended resources that are also valuable to know. It made me wish I could be like those people who have attained such comfort through 'simple living'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to get my own copy!, Nov. 2 2001
I borrowed the book from the library, and want my own copy now! My favorite part was the simplified method of tidying the house. I have implemented this only halfway so far, and already the house is much cleaner, and I don't feel like I spent any time doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Helpful book!, Oct. 28 2003
By A Customer
This a a great book with ideas and time savings for me. The title so describes the book, good choice! I love it!

A Simple Choice: A Practical Guide for Saving Your Time, Money and Sanity
A Simple Choice: A Practical Guide for Saving Your Time, Money and Sanity by Deborah Taylor-Hough (Paperback - April 1 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.99