march Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis boutiques-francophones Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on October 22, 2002
Karnival, by Michael Mortensen is a refreshing change from the predicted novel I am accustomed to. The Klieg's, a carnival family persist despite everything and accept those who have not been accepted. Every page brought another twist and unexpected feeling. I believe that this author has successfully captured the longing and searching of love and acceptance of the human spirit within a surreal environment. Even in its darkest and tortuous moments, a glimmer of hope always persisted in the Karnival.
Each character in the book was brought alive with so much detail and personality that at times I cheered for certain characters, cried for some, and despaired for others. This was a page turner where you wished would never end, but that you could continue to follow the life of the Klieg's. By the end of the book, I too wanted to become a Klieg.
on October 11, 2002
When I first browsed at the cover of this book, I thought that the premise seemed a bit.......unrealistic. Partially through the first chapter, I was unsure about the book, but once I finished the first chapter, I had to read on to find out what was going to happen next. By the end of the second chapter I was hooked. Michael Mortensen wrote himself a great book. He is very descripitive and I felt drawn into the characters. I just couldn't put the book down. I highly recommend this book!
on February 26, 2004
This is a book with a great deal of sensitivity and understanding of the needs of all people within a society-expecially those who are born different with physical challenges. I feel that everyone who enjoys pointing a finger and having prejudice towards anyone should read this very informative and enjoyable book. I think they will quickly change their finger to point at themselves-unless of course they are brain dead to begin with.
on February 26, 2004
This is a very well-written book about many different kinds of prejudice. It takes place mostly in a carnival setting. It is very insightful, informative, and sensitive; however, it is very well-written and a great way to spend an afternoon. It really makes you think about how people who are different are treated in society.