5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Jan. 16 2011
Lynda Tysowski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extensions (Paperback)
This tightly crafted novel successfully weaves two different genres, mystery and historical fiction, into a novel that is greater than the sum of the parts. Extensions includes suspense, drama, tragedy, and comic relief. Most importantly, Dey is equally skilled in plot and character development, two essential ingredients in my most-loved books. As I neared the end, I found myself torn between wanting to read more quickly to tie up the various storylines and wanting to savour the reading slowly so I wouldn't have to say good-bye to Bella and the other characters too soon. I can give no higher praise!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and compelling read., March 7 2013
This review is from: Extensions (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book and liked the juxtaposition of current and historical stories. It was interesting to learn more about the settlement of British Columbia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dey's Dryvynsydes delivers, Oct. 30 2010
N. Lee Elliott (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extensions (Paperback)
In the frenzy to keep up with the incredible mystery writing talent coming out of Scandinavian countries these days, it's heartening to discover an adept new voice here in Canada. Myrna Dey's Extensions begins innocently at a small-town Saskatchewan garage sale and draws us in with a firm gentleness to a mystery that spans geography, cultures, race, sexes, and time.

Her detective, the boldly named Arabella Dryvynsydes, like all great detectives, comes complete with insecurities, a family, police colleagues and a hint of love. But the mysteries of her unknown great-grandmother playing contrapuntally with the mysteries of Dryvynsydes' day job as a major crimes detective are what keep this book intriguing.

Dey has a deft hand with character. We become as invested in characters encountered briefly, like the adolescent child of an alcoholic mother and a long-lost, over-the-top Christian great aunt, as we do with those who form the core of the story.

I hope this book finds a wide audience in Canada and beyond. Extensions doesn't feed on adrenaline, or intellectual complexity, but on the more simple mysteries of human interactions and growth.

I hope Dey has more up her sleeve and we see Dryvynsydes again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extensions, a five star read, Nov. 19 2010
John C. Williams "JW" (Pahoa, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extensions (Paperback)
From the opening sentence to the last line, Myrna Dey, has crafted a literary gem. The characters are interesting and well defined. The trick of going from past to present is not an easy task, but Ms. Dey's efforts are flawless. The dark and light spots flow well, segueing one to the other and setting the hook deep. Her humor is light, well placed and original. Extensions ended up being a warm friend and fellow traveler. Thank you, Ms. Dey, well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful escape, March 30 2011
This review is from: Extensions (Paperback)
I was taken with this story from the beginning, and had a difficult time putting it down. I frequently find myself preferring one storyline over another when several are presented, but in this case I was equally intrigued by both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and realistic, Feb. 6 2011
B. Langman "B. Langman" (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Extensions (Paperback)
Mrs Dey captures the essence of a real life detective (versus the Hollywood version) masterfully, resulting in a book that is very relateable to those in the law enforcement biz. Really enjoyable story lines, both past and present. Well done!

Extensions
Extensions by Myrna Dey (Paperback - Oct. 1 2010)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57