5.0 out of 5 stars One of Storm's classics...
Published on June 19 2003 by Brian Fields

2.0 out of 5 stars the cat was cool
Published on Nov. 27 2001 by lil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Storm's classics..., June 19 2003
Brian Fields (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
Well, JD, if you're a closet homophobe, this book is sure to rub you the wrong way, but that's no reason to give it one star. Storm has only written one weak book in her career, to my knowledge, and that WAS actually, in this series (Book #3 - Stealing Sacred Fire). Stalking, on the other hand, is one of her classics. I admit, the homosexual scenes are almost buffetingly strong, and extremely uncomfortable for those of us outside the lifestyle. But they are mind openeing. The closest comparison I can come to in this regard is Jacqueline Carey's "Kushiel" trilogy, whose heroine, Phedre, is a sexual masochist and prostitute. When I read her first assignation I didn't know whether to cry, scream, or throw-up; but it definitely pushed my mental boundaries. So, I'm not going anywhere near a whip, or another man's, uh....pride; but I appreciate a book that pushes my buttons and keeps me thinking.
Finally, your most absurd claim was that she was trying to sound like Clive Barker. Storm does NOT try to sound like ANYONE else, that's why she's Storm. Storm is a goddess because she is so unrepentantly herself.
You shouldn't ruin a book's ratings just cause it rubbed you the wrong way.

2.0 out of 5 stars the cat was cool, Nov. 27 2001
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
I was extremely disappointed with this novel. I was expecting a dark fantasy that also contained elements of desire and sensuality. Although there was sex in this novel, none of it was sexy or sensual. Characters seemed to have sex with each other randomly with little emotion involved. The sexual encounters were usually not described but happened off the page and when they were described, it was done so briefly and clinically that it rendered the scenes almost uninteresting.
The relationships in the book did not seem to ring true at all. We are told that Pev is wanted by everyone who meets him but we are never shown why. Classic rule of story telling "Don't tell, show." We are told that the twins are in love with each other and have only had each other to rely on since their mother died. They are so intrinsically bound that they have a sexually relationship as well and live more like man and wife than brother and sister. Yet a couple of rolls in the hay with Pev and Lily betrays her brother, leaving him to be brutally raped physically and emotionally by Pev until he is a mere husk of his former self. Yet she is not so enthralled by Pev that she cannot protect her neighbor's cat from him. Several brutal rapes occur in the novel but no one seems to mind. There's some same sex scenes between willing partners which are again underdescribed and some between partners who maybe are willing or maybe are just bewitched. It's hard to tell because Storm doesn't really elaborate. I think she may just be trying to shock her readers with scenes that some might consider freaky or something. Whatever.
Desire is not just about the groin. Desire is about the whole body. It's about the way your breath catches when a hand brushes against your shoulder or the way you feel you could bite someone's back until you draw blood or whatever. I'm not really getting that from Storm's writing. Just the same old in and out.
And she makes it seem so quick.
I also dislike the way these characters have absolutely no loyalty towards one another. Whether they are friends, lovers, or family members, once Pev comes to town they are willing to betray their loved ones at the drop of the hat. And that makes them seem so unrealistic to me. I am not saying that people wouldn't act this way, just that Storm does nothing to deepen the readers under standing of why they act that way.
The only thing that I liked about this book was the chick who got it on with her cat. At least they had a nice loving relationship. I wish there had been more scenes with the two of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, Darkness, Sweet Darkness . . ., July 19 2001
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
Can Storm Constantine's work be described as belonging to any particular genre? I don't think so, and that's one of the things that makes her stories so wonderful. However, if I had to pigeonhole her work, then "Stalking Tender Prey" would definitely fit the role of "dark fantasy." No captured princesses, no magical kingdoms, no elves and hobgoblins. This stuff is raw, in-your-face. The magic is delicously seamy, at times unsettling. You can't even tell who the good guys or the bad guys are here; all of the characters have their own demons (literally, in some cases), their own motives. They make no excuses or apologies for what they do. If you're a new intiate to stories dealing with the occult (like I was when I first read this book), then you might feel a little uncomfortable at first, but the read is no less enjoyable, simply because it's not stuff you see much in fantasy. And for those who enjoy Constantine's trademark sexual undercurrents, you won't be disappointed. So if you're a Storm Constantine freak, a stray from the mainstream, or just your average lover of good stories, pick up this book. But if you're a prude (and living in the Bible Belt, I know my share) then stay away, lest your god smite you. He can smite me all he wants, I'm still gonna read this book, and the other two that follow it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great-can't wait for the next in the series, June 12 1998
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
Little Moor in Northern England is a quiet, serene place near a forest where rumor has it amongst the locals that ancient magic remains amidst the trees. However, something has finally changed to disrupt the delicate balance between the humans residing in Little Moor and the magic of the forest. Human twins, Owen and Lily Winter, behave differently because spirits seem to be calling them.

Further change hits the small hamlet when a traveler, rare in these parts, Peveral Othman, comes but cannot explain even to himself why he has ventured here. No one seems to realize how influential the stranger is on the townsfolk except the twins, who wonder if Peveral is a member of the Grigori, a species of people who possess powers beyond that of Homo Sapien? Could Peveral be coming to his peopleís home in the magical forest? If yes, what does his return forebode for the obviously inferior humans?

STALKING TENDER PREY is an incredible fantasy novel that is the equal if not the superior to the best of Anne Rice. The contemporary setting magically works even as an ancient race is described living within its environs. The Grigori are one of the best fictional races to appear in a novel in many years. Of particular enjoyment is the trouble the rebellious youths seem to cause for their elders. There is plenty of action to recommend this novel. However, it is Storm Constantine's precise use of interesting details that explain interrelationships (including homosexual love) between individuals that makes the first book in ìThe Grigori Trilogyî one of the top fantasy tales of the year. This is must reading for fans of the genre.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Work, Jan. 13 2000
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
I loved the way Constantine uses the cliches of the English rural gothic novel to play with the reader's expectations. Innocent youngsters preyed upon by sinister stranger, small country village containing Terrible Secrets, etc. -- all these staples of the genre are presented early on only so as to trick the reader into a false sense of security in preparation for later wackiness.
And simply put, Peverel Othman is the most diabolically seductive and utterly ruthless antagonist I've seen in print. The ambiguities of this character repulse and attract in equal measure (well, more repulse, actually, but still...). I think I spent more time, when I wasn't reading the book, thinking about his motivations than I did about the rest of the plot (the plot's good, too, though). Constantine's strong point in her novels has always been characterization, and she outdoes herself with Othman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, Feb. 10 2000
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
Stalking Tender Prey is a story of the Fallen Angels, but has nothing to do with beautiful,benevolent beings that fly. Instead, the Grigori are the descendents of a non-human race that dwell among humans, and yet apart, but secretly wield power over human affairs. Being a history/archaeology buff, I liked the interweaving of ancient events with the modern day. Ms. Constantine's tale slowly, addictively seeps into your pores, then gradually accelerates into a whirlwind, which holds you suspended between the horrific and the glorious. It is not in my opinion a horror novel, but more along the lines of fantasy, since the stars also have their intriguing part to play. However, the prudish should take heed -- there is a lot of sex. This is the first of her books that I have read, but it will not be the last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary fantasy, Aug. 30 2001
Ventura Angelo (Brescia, Lombardia Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
Strange feelings in an electric blue ionic afterstorm.Little Moor reminds me of Miss Marple's Saint Mary Mead: only, the culprit is a member of the ancient Watchers, and the Secret Adversary is none other than the Fallen Angel Shemhazai (or whatever). The place (and some of the people ) is dreary, the athmosphere is hair-raising (do not read this book alone at night!) but you can sense over it all the uncanny Storm's humour.
It reminded me a little of the (alas!) late Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently novels, or the athmosphere of some chapters of Clive Barker's Imajica. Contemporary fantasy is a difficult genre that reveals (when made well) the uncanny magic of your own soul.This is a dream of beginnings,when our mythical (mystical ?) roots are revealed.Strange feelings in an electric blue ionic afterstorm.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissapointing., Sept. 22 2003
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
The first book in the Grigori trilogy - in fact, the entire Grigori trilogy - marks the beginning of down point in Storm's otherwise shining career as an author, that she has yet to pull herself out of (most notable is the simply dreadful "Thin Air" and the bland Magravandias Chronicles). If you want to read something good from Storm, you simply must hunt for a copy of the exotic "Calenture" or the exquisite "Burying the Shadow"; sadly it seems Storm peaked with those two superb examples of non-standard fantasy. I can only hope she quits "dumbing it down" to appeal to the mass American market, and returns to her true form.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good body, mediocre end..., Aug. 14 1999
Josh I. Mangum (Ras Tanura) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
The book was a bit hard to get into, and certain parts were hard to accept without a bit of revulsion, but after a time, I got past that. Constantine develops her characters wounderfully and gives them much life. That was the high point in the novel. The storyline was a bit basic, but also worthy of some praise. My only complaint comes in regards to the ending. It seemed very rushed and some of the characters that we were led to believe had an important role in things just dropped out and took no part in the climax. Maybe there is a sequel that I missed, but that struck me as odd. Overall I give it 3.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, July 3 1999
This review is from: Stalking Tender Prey (Paperback)
Storm Constantine has the ability to draw one into her stories. It as if you become completely and utterly enamored with the characters. This book was the first of Storm's I have ever read, but I can assure you it will not be the last.
The story of the Grigori, the mythology surrounding them, is so unlike anything of which I've ever heard. And yet, at the same time, many pieces seem to at last fit together.
I summary I say only this. If you seek a story above and beyond the normally droll fantasy books, you should be reading Storm Constantine.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Stalking Tender Prey
Stalking Tender Prey by Storm Constantine (Paperback - Nov. 1 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 11.36