5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and down to earth, Oct. 27 2010
7katz "7katz" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kilimanjaro - a trekking guide to Africa's highest mountain, 3rd: (includes Mt Meru and city guides to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Arusha, Moshi and Marangu) (Paperback)
I just got back from climbing Kilimanjaro with a group booked through Henry Stedman and his website. I had purchased the book as soon as I made the decision to go as I wasn't sure what my impulsiveness had gotten me into!. It is full of accurate descriptions of what to take, expect along the way, how and when to tip the porters (which is a huge stressor) and many other good tips. Unlike the other reviewer who found his style a bit flippant, I enjoyed Mr. Stedman's sense of humour and laughed out loud at some of his comments. Do make sure you get the latest edition of the book - there are some updates. I also purchased the dvd "Kilimanjaro: the Roof of Africa" (sorry, Amazon, on ebay) to get a visual perspective. Some in my trekking group found it "dull"; some enjoyed it. But everyone liked the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars do not climb without reading it, Nov. 26 2012
Detailed information on everything from tour companies, to different routes, to ethics and the environment, to gear, to historical and cultural information. Told with humour and personal experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great preparation for the trip!, March 13 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book but I am trying to prepare for the Kilimanjaro trip. This book is great in giving honest information about how it will be. It was recommended by a friend and I would recommend it to others.

Kilimanjaro - a trekking guide to Africa's highest mountain, 3rd: (includes Mt Meru and city guides to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam,  Arusha, Moshi and Marangu)
CDN$ 21.95 CDN$ 15.85
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available