1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Covers just the Basics, April 25 2010
This review is from: Peru Bolivia & Ecuador, 2 (Paperback)
I was unable to make it to Ecuador and Bolivia but spent 2 months in Peru using this guide book. On my previous travels when I was younger I used Lonely Planet and for this trip I thought to try a different book to try and "get off the beaten path". I thought that this book would give me good alternative suggestions or alternative iteneries to the well worn gringo trail in South America.

What I found was that this book covers just the basics, where to eat, sleep, and all the main tourist sights. It did not give detailed information, alternative suggetions, routes or itenaries for one to follow. For example, it tells you what bus companies run in a particular city, but it doesn't give detailed information on how to get to places, where to catch the bus, how to catch the bus..etc and you are left to figure out the finer details.

Several times on my travels I looked at other peoples Lonely planet guides and found myself wishing that I was using a different book and not this one. The main thing is that there is hardly any information on history (the country history summaries are in the back and sparse) and little context to the sights that you want to see. For me it is really important to know the history of what I am seeing so I felt this was really a major downfall in this book.

Also, this version is outdated. Some of the information (museums, hostals, restaurants) was inaccurate. Either the place had long since closed or the reviews and descriptions were off. I was rather disaspointed with this book and would not use again. This book would be good for someone who is maybe going for a week or two to one of the countries, not an extended amount of time, and for someone who doesn't need alot of historical information.

Peru Bolivia & Ecuador, 2
Peru Bolivia & Ecuador, 2 by Geoffrey Groesbeck (Paperback - Dec 1 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.34