summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon September 13, 2011
I've no idea who Hazel Soan is when I bought the book. Now, I'm a fan of her work.

The Essence of Watercolour contains very beautiful and inspiring paintings.

I like her suggestive style, which is to draw just enough and let the mind fill in the rest. Her use of wet on wet for blending colours is masterful and the pastel colours used are a joy to look at. It reminds me of the feeling you get when you watch a beautiful sunset.

Accompanying the paintings are brief but insightful instructions that are easy to try. There are lessons on transparency, layering, experimenting with colours, understanding brushstrokes and other watercolour techniques. Even though the watercolour tips are not unique to this book, it's always interesting to read it from the perspective of different artists.

Highly recommended to watercolour lovers.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on February 3, 2014
I bought this after a quick review of other's review.
I love this artist's work and started to become addicted to reading more of her books.
I would recommend this to anyone who loves arts, especially watercolour.
on August 1, 2013
Of all the watercolor instruction books I have this is by far one of the best. For every level of artist Hazel shows how to obtain several effects in several ways - very simply - without the need of over the top or expense supplies.
on September 27, 2013
This book was very useful for the intermediate watercolourist - very good explanation of transparency and mixing of pigment and how to make your paintings glow. I have used some of the techniques already and am very pleased with the results.
on December 6, 2012
This book is a good one for people ready for another challenge. I purchased it along with Jean Haines' Atmospheric Watercolours and love the exciting prospects of both books. What fun to look forward to picking up a brush and 'drawing' with a paint brush. Although the book is new to me I have read and re-read the exciting news many times. Get beyond yourself with this book.
on October 1, 2013
Perfect, Perfect, Perfect!!!
gives you freedom to paint - your way!

It has opened up a way to paint, even in the normal way!

Well done!
on March 22, 2014
I love this book with awesome pictures and very valuable information. A real course on water color painting. Yes, yes.
on December 27, 2012
This is a beautiful book but I was hoping for some watercolour instruction and did not get it with this book. Probably a good fit for an experienced watercolour artist who is looking for some inspiration.
on June 21, 2013
Wow, what an artist. Soan has such a style and the product is simply amazing. Even if you are not a painter, the painting featured in this book are beautiful to see
on January 20, 2014
This is a wonderful book to review and use. I found this book to give me a sense of comfort.