5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a bargain

1.0 out of 5 stars Very, very basic cookbook
Published on April 1 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a bargain, April 5 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Stella's Kitchen: Creative Cooking for Fun, Flavor, and a Lean, Strong Body (Paperback)
If you are a person who desires to eat cleaner and healthier and have no clue where to begin then this is the book for you. It is not a gourmet "heart attack on a plate" or " Quick n easy unhealthy food" cookbook. The recipes are easy to follow and not overly complicated, yet will taste good and be way better than just edible like some other diet foods are. Yummy and nourishing are two words coming to mind right now. Look at the cover and I can tell you the food tastes as good as it looks. Just be sure you really are serious about the Lean, Strong body because that`s what you will get if you use the recipes in this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book with simple to prepare recipes, April 4 2004
T. Klapperich "tklapperich" (Troy, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I bought Stellas Kitchen a few months ago and I really like the book. The recipes are easy to follow and well explained for people, like me, who are not experienced chefs. I personally think the simplicity of the recipes is an asset to the book.
This is a great resource for those involved in the Iron game. It give many great suggestions for preparing tasty, high-protein meals simply and conveniently. Even my wife who is not especially health conscious likes the recipes in this cook book. I have found the recipes for preparing meats, poultry, and fish to be especially good. I also like the fact that the cook book explains what makes these recipes healthier than the average recipe. This information has helped me to adapt some of my own recipes in similar ways in order to make them healthier. It not only presents good recipes, but it provides a good paradigm for healthy eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved me!, April 2 2004
By A Customer
I have always loved to cook (and eat), which then put on the pounds... I gained 45lbs in 4 years and felt miserable. I have tried the high-protein, low carb diets, but felt tired all the time and never saw any permanent results. I finally joined a gym & hired a trainer in the summer of 2003. I didn't notice alot of weight loss because I hadn't really changed my diet much. I needed help in preparing healthy foods that would help me lose fat and build lean muscle, but most of all, one that is easy and not time-consuming. I am not looking to be a pro bodybuilder, I am just an ordinary wife and mother who works a full-time job and wants to look and feel great.
I used to "collect" cookbooks and now they are pretty much useless to me since they are loaded with high fat and simple carbs. When I found Stella's Kitchen, I was so tickled! I have tried many of the recipes and they are simple, tasty, but most important HEALTHY.
With consistent exercise and the help of Stella's Kitchen, I have lost about 30lbs. and I feel great! Thank you Stella!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately I can only give it 5 stars - Buy it!, April 2 2004
Dan (Limoges, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic, easy to read? YES and simpler to follow. I think this is how a cookbook should be, why complicate things with encrypted recipes, and spices that no one even knows about? Stella has taken out the guesswork and explains how the spices work, she has even included facts on various foods as chicken, beef and veggies, how to keep your food fresh and more! My kids love the recipes. We have a meal from this book on average, 4 times a week. If you need to follow sound nutritional advice and create tasty meals, this book is for you. Our whole family is into health and fitness and it was difficult to come up with meals that would pack enough nutritionally dense foods until we bought this book and POW! We are eating healthier, growing stronger, what more can I say? The title says it all. I have given fitness advice to many people over the years and I wish this book were out 10 years ago. I recommend it to everyone and so far no one is disappointed. Well-done Stella!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the "Basics" - a year later., April 2 2004
Stingo (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
I've owned my tattered copy of Stella's Kitchen now for over a year, and continue to prepare most of my main dinner meals from it. I'm 48 and a body builder from Portland Oregon.
Cooking nutritionally sound meals does not have to be complicated like so many "other" cookbooks prove to be. Stella offers simplicity, while giving powerful, nutritious results. My body is living proof. Claims that her recipes are "nothing new" are obviously from people who are looking for the "frostings and fats" that are "pleasin' for a season." However, if you want recipes that are fun, inexpensive, easy to prepare and high in nutrition, that will help carry you long into your senior years, Buy Stella's Kitchen and use it like I do (until it falls apart). Then buy a new one...

1.0 out of 5 stars Very, very basic cookbook, April 1 2004
By A Customer
I was realy disappointed with this cookbook. The recipes are nothing new: Lemon-Garlic Chicken, Omelet Supremo (or as I would call it - eggs and cheese), Broccoli with lemon and garlic, Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Turkey Meatloaf. She also uses articifial sweetners. I know they are very popular, but I believe they're unhealthy. If you're just learning to cook, this book might be helpful. You could easily find similar recipes on Internet recipe sites though. Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, Clean food for Healthy and "normal" eaters, Dec 9 2003
M. Comstock "mcomstoc1" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
My husband and I have fought for years about what to eat. He is thin, can eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's a night without *visible* repercussions and loves meat and pasta and potatoes. I, on the other hand, have been competing in Ultimate Frisbee, I lift weights, run, teach aerobics and Spinning and have the lifestyle and genes that will always make it necessary to watch my diet and excercise.
Food has been a constant battle with my husband; he wants to make pasta and broccoli with olive oil (which all makes me sick and lazy) and I want a salad. I bought this cookbook, and now we've found peace. I don't feel "gloppy" after eating these recipes and he feels satiated. He can cook and I trust that he won't over-butter-and-starch me. (Normally, I feel a need to defend my diet and the kitchen). I can cook and he doesn't feel like I'm starving him. It just feels balanced. He browsed through the book one day and said, " I would eat anything in here" (BTW, he's a picky eater) and I would too!
The recipes are simple- sometimes painfully so- and that is a reminder that you can still eat healthy food during busy times and spend *less* time than if you went to the nearest junk food outlet. There are no dessert recipes, but the smoothies taste like dessert!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stella's Kitchen a great book!, May 30 2003
"andyman68" (Columbia, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Buy it! You won't regret it. This book is a great companion if you are following the Body for Life program!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite cookbook!, April 25 2003
"moke51" (North Brunswick, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Stella Juarez is an inspirational woman who knows what body-builders and gym rats are looking for. The recipes in this book are tasty and easy to prepare. I cook the dishes for my family and even my husband, who is a very picky eater, loves everything I've tried so far! The Turkey Triano and Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes are family favorites and I never go anywhere in the morning without one of Stella's protein shakes. I haven't found a high-protein, low-calorie cookbook that I like nearly as much as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity in healthy eating, March 24 2003
Stingo (Portland, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
I am a 47 year old bachelor who never volunteers to cook for anyone. Stella's recipes for delicious meals is so easy to follow that I can even make a mouth-watering meal that is both easy and nutritious. Whether you are body building, strength training, fitness training, or even just trying to shed unwanted fat and want to eat REAL FOOD, Stella's Kitchen is a powerful yet simple tool for the job!

Stella's Kitchen: Creative Cooking for Fun, Flavor, and a Lean, Strong Body