5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a satire!
Published on Jan. 30 2004 by Kyle Maxwell

2.0 out of 5 stars Very gimmicky
This book would make for a nice "joke present" for a baby shower, but it should not be considered a true baby reference book. It's simply too superficial and gimmicky. Think of it as "baby book lite."
Published on June 14 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a satire!, Jan. 30 2004
Kyle Maxwell (Irving, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance (Paperback)
The book reads a bit satirically -- think of your standard baby care book but written like a VCR manual. But it's actually useful information; we had our first child born recently, and it's been really useful to us. I've ended up buying copies for friends, too. Once you figure out a few of the slightly less obvious "terms" (like "service provider" for "doctor"), it's easy to read and avoids a lot of the editorializing and "my baby was this way" found in similar books. Worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars BSOD? No problem!, June 23 2003
By A Customer
This book is both entertaining and useful. I'm not one for reading baby books, so this was right down my alley. It helps that I work with computers daily, so the humor is really spot-on for me. I enjoy picking this book up, and it has some good pointers for me, a-soon-to-be-daddy with no previous training. I'm already preparing myself for the various "Sleep Modes."

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational and humorous and entertaining reading, May 19 2003
By A Customer
The book is written as if your baby is a product (therefore the need for this 'manual'). I skimmed through it in the bookstore and found it to be hilariously entertaining. I laughed at the verbage used and the 50s or 60s style pictures and diagrams. I bought it immediately and have enjoyed it very much. Example on writing: they ask you to "inspect" your model for all parts. Example of drawings: A circle with an adult holding a baby by the top of the head while the baby dangles with a line through the circle (as if to say 'Do not hold a baby by the top of the head). Obvious, but funny. I found it to by quite humorous.
I've laughed out loud reading it. But I must say that this book has very good information on how to raise your 'model' (baby). If you are a new parent or know someone who is a new or soon-to-be parent who has a sense of humor, they will appreciate this book. Louis Borgenicht, M.D., and his son Joe Borgenicht, D.A.D. (more humor) have written a master piece in my opinion. I would enjoy reading this book if my kid was 25 or didn't have any. It's just plain entertaining (but, again, very well organized useful information is found within).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read for the Expecting Father, April 26 2003
Joe A (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
I stumbled upon this book in the bookstore a couple of weeks ago on accident, and was intrigued by the cover of a baby drawn in the style of functional diagram. What fascinated me further were the off the wall diagrams combined with the technical manual-esque style found inside, which made me think "Worst Case Scenario Handbook" for the parenting world.
But moving beyond the cover I discovered many such useful facts which have undoubtedly helped me prepare for fatherhood. As a slightly jittery, somewhat confused, but overall excited expecting father, this book has become a Godsend.
I read "What to Expect In The First Year", and for the typical male this doesn't work. The dialogue is so blatantly pitted toward women that my brain can't register it. The context juggles concepts of shopping, breastfeeding, and cutsie warm blankets in a convoluted, non-linear fashion which spawned a tangent-of-a-tangent style change of topics reminiscent of listening to my wife talk on the phone to her sister.
This book combines humor with an effective style for logically-wired males like myself, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to cut to the chase and really prepare for what to expect in fatherhood, and avoid the "what to wear to the baby shower" and other non-essential rhetoric.

5.0 out of 5 stars Father-To-Be Perfect, June 10 2003
By A Customer
My husband and I received this "manual" at our Baby Shower. All of our guests wanted to take a peek & either said they wished they had received one, or said that it would be a definite purchase for anyone expecting. The way in which it is written, is simple, humorous, and straight to the point. My husband began flipping through the pages at the Baby Shower & hasn't put it down yet! He even took it to work to show "the guys!" I've heard him laugh out loud while reading it & he has even come running down the hall to proudly tell me something new he learned :-) Grandpa-To-Be has even read it & said "Now I get it!" I will definitely buy this "manual" for friends and family in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and a breath of fresh air, March 23 2004
Although What to Expect and Dr. Sears are nice books, what was missing for me was a book with "just the facts" no discussion of parenting styles or anything along those lines, just "if baby is crying it may be b/c of x, y or z." And this book provides that in a simple, clear and amusing way. It's what we used when we prepared to give a bath for the first time to our newborn. It's listing of games and exercises for development has been useful. And it has provided much needed laughs at times. I love the discussion of stuffed animals and how the model will not believe that stuffed are not alive until 10 or 12 years of age. I'm not giving it 5 stars b/c I wish it dealt with stuff in the same detailed way beyond 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for new dad, April 18 2003
By A Customer
I bought it as a joke book for my husband, the car buff, to help answer some of his new parent questions, but I the book is so funny I have hardly been able to put it down myself. It reads like the instructions to a car owners manual, but with wonderful block illustrations and witty comentary. It explains taking care of a baby in much the same way you would take care of a car, and put things in terms that a guy would understand. A wonderfully funny read, with tips that you can actually use!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to keep next to the crib, July 2 2003
Piquant Storyteller "hewest" (Marysville, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This book is simply entertaining; at the same time it provides useful information on the care and feeding of your new baby. It is not intended to be, and is not a comprehensive guide to parenting. It provides a simple to understand guide to ensuring the well being of your infant. It was the only child care book that I could read from cover to cover.
Moms, if you expect dad to understand the ins and outs of your new baby make sure to get this great book into his hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and concise, June 3 2004
Sean P. Logue "If you can't win, change the r... (Research Triangle Park, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This is a good book, and is easy to reference and find things in. Of all the books I bought, this is the one I ended up bringing to the hospital with me. The constant references to the "baby unit" and "service provider" (doctor) get tedious, though. I wish they had been a little less cute with the terminology as this is a very useful book, not just a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, March 21 2003
By A Customer
This book is pretty funny and has a lot more information than I thought it was going to. Forget about What to Expect When Your Expecting and get this instead! Nice, simple schematic diagrams. Makes putting on diapers as easy as hooking up stereo speakers. Great illustrations & really funny writing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›