5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book you will ever read...
I read "The China Study" in one sitting the very day it arrived from Amazon - it blew me away that much! The sheer scope of the research and references, and the clarity of the conclusion they point to, should be enough to turn anyone off animal foods for life.

Published on Oct. 18 2008 by Catherine Palmer

2.0 out of 5 stars Good biochemist morphed into bad epidemiologist
Highly credentialed diet gurus, with oversize ego and extreme greed, battling each other with irreconcilable sect-like edicts and operating freely in a country where big agro-alimentary and pharmaceutical businesses have thoroughly corrupted not only governments and professional associations but also the actual process of knowledge acquisition through clinical trials:...
Published 1 month ago by Read and think

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book you will ever read..., Oct. 18 2008

This book is about as far from a fad diet as you can get - Campbell has spent over 40 years studying nutrition, and has been personally involved in many of the ground-breaking studies this book details (including, of course, the massive China study itself). Not only that, but he came from a background that predisposed him to seeing the typical "Western" diet as the pinnacle of sound nutrition - and yet has come to believe the complete opposite through years and years of research.

I have been a health-conscious vegetarian for nine years, so compared to most people you wouldn't expect my worldview to have been shaken up all that much by this book. However, although my vegetarian diet was based on all the information that was readily available - fruit and vegetables are good, saturated fat is bad, etc - this book still laid waste to some of the myths even I hadn't been able to see through, because there's so much propaganda out there regarding nutrition.

Most importantly, Campbell discredits once and for all the huge conspiracies that have been built around protein and dairy. Most people know vegetables are healthy, even if they don't eat enough of them, but hardly anyone is aware that protein isn't the miracle nutrient it's touted as being. Not only is it very hard to eat too little protein, but most people eat far too much. Similarly, dairy is still promoted as "healthy", especially low-fat dairy (of which I was an avid consumer, until I read this book). We're led to believe we need it for bone health, even though a survey of osteoporosis rates around the world suggests exactly the opposite conclusion. And, as a vegetarian, people were always telling me I needed to eat dairy in order to get a good dose of protein, even though (as Campbell's evidence conclusively shows) the main protein found in milk actually promotes cancer.

The same day I read this book, I became a vegan. Fortunately, my diet had already been a "fringe" diet for years (not that a healthy diet should ever be considered extremist), so I'd long since discovered the joys of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and tofu. But now I'm more determined than ever to "convert" my boyfriend and family to the green pastures of veganism - and I'll start by giving them all this book for Christmas. If you care about someone, and don't want them to die of a premature heart attack or cancer, how could you not give them this book?

Unfortunately, as convincing as Campbell's conclusions are, there are probably many people out there who simply - for some very inexplicable reason - don't care enough about their health to follow his guidelines. It's always baffled me why people continue to take up smoking when they know it's about the worst thing they could do for their health. Similarly, a lot of people who see the animal-based Western diet as the default will probably see Campbell's recommendations as too hard to follow, and will continue to regard healthy eating as somehow abnormal. Despite the solidity of his conclusions, so many people have been indoctrinated with the idea that eating animal foods is necessary for a "balanced" diet that they will remain incredulous, even though the evidence against this idea is so strong. Campbell's exposure of the corruption behind the nutritional information we're given is admirable, though, and I sincerely hope people listen to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shake-up, March 9 2007
This review is from: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health (Paperback)
This is a very good book full of very useful, well researched information. A big volume dealing with extensive study of the way nutrition influences our health and longevity. It should be read by anyone who desires to be healthy, especially by all the followers of the many fad diets (Atkins, SouthBeach, low fat, low carb, you name it...)

China Study also unveils behind-the-scene manipulation of big food business with no regard for consumer health. The authors make a big step forward in honest consumer education, as their integrity and scientific approach is beyond any doubt. Another no-hype volume with down-to-earth, commonsense approach to health and longevity is "Can We Live 150 Year?" I strongly recommend both books for everyone. Get them, and keep them for later reference. Don't miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars At 76 a new start., Nov. 26 2011
This book lets us know of all the myths we have believed to be true about the food we have been eating for years. What an easy read, I found myself picking it up whenever I sat down. It's very interesting and full of information everyone should know. Whether you choose to act on that knowledge now or not, for sure you will reread it later and think -like me-I should have been eating this way for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Question Of Trust, June 8 2006
Warren Green (Peterborough Ontario) - See all my reviews
One thing this book will make you think about is how our government funds a public health care system largely devoted to expensive and invasive medical procedures, and to putting people on drugs for the rest of their lives.

For me, the most thought provoking and intriguing chapters of this book are contained in part IV, "Why Haven't You Heard This Before?" They include, "Science -- The Dark Side", "The 'Science' Of Industry", "Government: Is It For The People?", and "Big Medicine: Whose Health Are They Protecting?"

I attended the 2006 Vegsource Healthy Lifestyle Expo in California, where Dr. Campbell gave the keynote address. At some point in the future, I'd like to find a way to bring his message to my hometown of Peterborough.

Having a population of only about 75,000 hasn't held us back too much. Apparently Peterborough has the largest cardiology clinic in the province, and I grew up next door to the family doctor whose been largely credited with having the vision to create primary health care teams as a means to improve the efficiency of our system, thus providing doctors for doctor-less Canadians. In my view, Michael Moore's Sicko (Special Edition) has painted the Canadian system much too rosy!

If you go to Amazon.com, you can access some negative reviews of this book, and if you go to a "popular American vegetarian website", you can find Dr. Campbell's response to some of the seemingly well researched critical reviews. Some of Campbell's critics claim that the book is not a true reflection of the actual study, and that he has a vegan agenda. If you have access to a copy of this book, read what Colin Campbell says on pages 106 and 107 about how he arrived at his decision to adopt a 99 percent plant-based diet.

It would be interesting to know what all of the colleagues involved in "The China Study" think of the Campbell's book, but they have at least one other top guy in their corner. Junshi Chen's (M.D., PhD., Senior Research Professor Institute of Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention) praise for the book can be found on it's first page, along with Dean Ornish and others. Howard Lyman wrote the Preface, John Robbins the Foreward. For me, these people exude integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solidly researched and guaranteed to shake up your worldview, April 15 2008
Lynna Landstreet "www.wildideas.net" (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I tend to be pretty skeptical of nutrition books, particularly those coming from "alternative" perspectives, since they're often quite faddish and unsubstantiated by science. But this one really blew me away.

While the author advocates a diet that might be considered extreme by some -- a whole foods, plant-based, mostly vegan diet -- his background is anything but fringe or faddish. He's got very solid scientific credentials, and came to his conclusions over the course of years of research. Every claim in this book is backed up by references, the vast majority of them to articles from peer-reviewed medical or scientific journals.

As of starting the book, I was an ex-vegetarian who'd gone back to being a moderate meat eater and had been for over a decade now, but by the time I was halfway through it I was pretty sure my eating habits were about to seriously change. I'm not sure any reasonably intelligent and open-minded person could look at the research Dr. Campbell cites and not come to the same conclusion.

Having said that, I don't think the book is quite flawless -- there are times, particularly toward the latter part of the book, when it gets a bit heavy-handed and feels like the author's trying to drive home his point with a sledgehammer. But on the whole that's a small failing compared to the wealth of useful and potentially life-saving information in it -- not enough for me not to give it a 5-star review, though if fractions were allowed I might have gone for 4.75.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this., Dec 26 2013
This should be a must read for everyone. Whether or not you like the idea of a plant based diet, it is hard to disagree that it is a healthier way to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all., Oct. 31 2013
Anyone interested in finally feeling good should read this book. It's convincing, based on scientific evidence and must know knowledge for all who suffer from a chronic illness. Or if you wish to avoid one, start here!

5.0 out of 5 stars now if only I could get my husband and the rest of his family to read this, Oct. 22 2013
this is a hard one to review because, I am sure there are many fantastic reviews both good and bad out there for this book. I first learned of this book when I was recovering from a case of hip bursitis and I had mention to my new acupuncturist that My mother died of colon cancer at the tender age of 53. I wish this book was available for her in the early nighties when she was first taken with the disease that also took one of my aunts 10 years before. I really think had she read this and took it to heart ( she had read dr Weils 8 weeks to optimum health but never followed through with it ) I feel that she would still be alive today. Needless to say, If your having nagging health issues or just generally want to know or be healthier read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be mandatory reading. I've bought five ..., July 21 2014
This book should be mandatory reading. I've bought five copies so far. I don't generally write reviews but in this case I couldn't help myself. This book should give you hope that you can turn things around and the guidance needed to take responsibility for your own health. Thank you T. Colin Campbell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense and Good Science that is Long Overdue. Thank-you for this wonderful book!, April 2 2013
During my university days, I took Biological Sciences and took a 2nd year course in Physical Chemistry (theory and laboratory). I did an experiment in which it seemed that I had found a counter-example to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. Needless to say, the lab demonstrator had me do the experiment over again!

During that same term, the professor teaching the course announced that some of the students were cheating on their laboratory work by plagiarizing other students' work. They fittingly got zeroes on their lab marks.

I've always believed that a scientist who compromises his work to tell big business or big government what they want to hear so that they can continue getting grants for further research to further perpetuate the big lie should be treated as pariahs and be no longer allowed to do research. Such use of scholastic authority to perpetuate the big lie does irreparable harm to our society.

All the above being said, when I read The China Study, I was indeed shocked to learn that I have been led up the garden path all these years and have been a victim of the Western Diet.

As a boy, I lived in a family that enjoyed a diet heavy on meat and dairy products as well as processed foods. Perhaps it was just plain ignorance then, but I continued with these bad eating habits, becoming obese, suffering from high blood pressure, and then suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage that kept me away from work for well over a month. I underwent a week's close observation at the hospital until my headaches finally subsided, had a number of tests run on me (CAT scan, 2 angiograms and an MRI). I switched family doctors to make sure I was being properly taken care of. I was taking three different pills to control my blood pressure.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer (after seeing a urologist for several years as I developed a hydrocoel - fluid-filled testicle and being monitored with PSAs and ultrasound to make sure I didn't have cancer). After the biopsy on my prostate, I had my prostate removed, but "the cow had already left the barn", so no I am a prostate cancer patient being treated to prolong my life.

My father died of cancer. My mother died of Alzheimer's. One of my brothers is in a nursing home, having been severely brain-damaged by a massive stroke. My wife's family has similar scenarios among her relatives.

Now, we read in the newspapers that the baby boom generation is a great boon to the drug industry as they age and sicken with all these nasty degenerative diseases. We also read that our federal and provincial health care costs are spiraling out control, that we don't have enough hospital beds, and that hospitals are being asked to scale back their health care services. Meanwhile, more and more people are living limited lives with all manner of maladies. Even children are suffering behavioral and learning disabilities, obesity, diabetes, and cancer.

The China Study attacks the very root of our societal health dilemma. You are indeed what you eat! This book is a long-awaited breath of fresh air to dispel the myths for good. Dr. Campbell is a true scientist who refuses to march to someone else's drumbeat.

Read the results of his laboratory studies and the results of the epidemiological studies done in China, of which was a co-researcher. Dr. Campbell cites the work of other researchers who have independently come to the same conclusions that he has. A low fat, mostly whole plant based diet along with a sensible exercise program could actually eliminate most instances of the entire repertoire of the debilitating and life-shortening diseases that are now filling our hospitals and nursing homes.

If you are living on the Western Diet that is heavy on meat and dairy protein, regardless of your present state of health, then get this book! Switching away from the meat and dairy products toward a low fat whole plant based diet has been shown to actually reverse cardiovascular disease, prevent or at least slow down considerably the process of cancer and put in check or even eliminate many medical danger signals or degenerative diseases. The facts don't lie. Good scientists don't lie.

I only wish my parents knew this and taught me and my brothers this. I'd be a lot healthier today. I'm sure of it. But maybe it's not too late for me. I'm changing my eating habits based on what Dr. Campbell has taught me in this book.

I cannot recommend this book too highly. My advice: Get the book and enjoy a much longer and happier life!