Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kindle Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on September 24, 2000
So, I bought a copy of this thinking, "Finally, a book on CVS!"... Well, it is that, but it's also lacking. It does provide a very usable intro to CVS, but it lacks a lot of the depth that I had hoped for -- for example, there's not much talk about (or if there is and I missed it, then it's not well referenced in the TOC or Index) doing administrative things with the files in the CVSROOT, or those sorts of things. I haven't read the book cover to cover, and maybe I ought to (at least try) before reviewing it, but it got so many 5's that I wanted to make sure I got another opinion out. Another place where I found it to be lacking was in description of style choices. E.g. why it matters whether you use import versus add, or how to lay out directories, or those sorts of things. Anyway, I'm sure I could be a fair bit more clear on my complaints if I'd read more of the book, and more recently, but frankly, from what parts I did read, it's now been sitting on my bookshelf mostly untouched for a while.
I do think the book has some merit, and I believe the potential is there for a great second or third edition, but definitely read it with some amount of caution for now, and try to find other references (such as the postscript document that comes with CVS) as well.
on April 28, 2000
Unfortunately, the book was poorly written and rather confusing to following. The book had no flow to it all and to read it straight through without additional reference material and a system to work on would have left me even more disappointed. The book overall appears to have been thrown together for a quick buck. Was their an editor involved in this project? Getting and installing CVS is in Chapter four! There are only nine chapters and the ninth chapter is a ref. chapter.
There is some decent information in the book but its definitely not my sole reference. My advice for a newcomer like myself to CVS is to look around for additional books and if you have money to spare get this one.
on July 24, 2002
This book was a real disappointment. I doesn't cover all the features of CVS and lacks detailed examples. I've found better (and free) documentation on the web. Also, with the release of CVS 1.11, this book is slightly out of date. The authors spend more time covering topics like Open Source development and why you should design for portability instead of showing how you can use CVS to manage a really large software project. While they discuss the mechanics of branching, they don't cover things like branching strategies.